Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-09-2004, 10:32 PM   #21
plaidjedillama
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ben
Sure.
If you don't believe it, look at the link I gave earlier. It's from the official website, so I would tend to believe it.
plaidjedillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 12:44 AM   #22
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

no, no I believe you!
Old 07-28-2004, 10:45 PM   #23
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
It appears that at least one of the movies from the forthcoming STAR WARS TRILOGY (SWT) DVD set has been leaked to the internet. A ultra high quality divx copy of RETURN OF THE JEDI, featuring new effects and inclusions not seen in any prior released versions of the movie, has been placed online. So far no sightings of the SWT versions of A NEW HOPE or THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK have been reported online.

Several message forums of video and STAR WARS websites have confirmed that Sebastian Shaw has been removed from the "ghost trio" at the end of JEDI and replaced by Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker. As well, a scene showing the citizens of Naboo, consisting of both humans and Gungans, celebrating the death of the Emperor has been included in the montage of locations after the destruction of the second Death Star.

In recent years the online proliferation of bootleg copies of films has become a growing concern for Hollywood, with illegal copies of blockbusters sometimes available for download even before the opening night of the picture. With demand expected to be high for the September release of the STAR WARS TRILOGY DVD set, it may have been inevitable that one, if not all, of the movies would show up online before their street date.
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:11 AM   #24
BeardofPants
the Shrike

oh dear god I hope that's not true.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:39 PM   #25
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
i dont really care about the changes
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 11:19 PM   #26
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I'm a little too lazy to check this out for myself, but would these DVDs have the classic classic trilogy or the Special Edition original trilogy versions or both??

Some may prefer the original original, but I liked the special edition (maybe because it actually came out during my lifetime ).

And maybe stupid question: What would be the benefits of buying these if you already own them on VHS? I mean, in regards to special features, etc.

Obviously VHS do disintegrate, warp, and otherwise become unusable either with time or/and excessive use. But mine still work

edit: ok no one is here, so I will answer some of my own questions. I did some research and it looks to be the SE version with even more updates (sorry if someone already said that).

DVD Features:
-Available subtitles: English
-Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1 EX), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround), Spanish (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround), French (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround)
Includes:

-Episode IV, A New Hope

-Commentary by George Lucas, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher

-Episode V, The Empire Strikes Back

-Commentary by George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher

-Episode VI, Return of the Jedi

-Commentary by George Lucas, Lawrence Kasdan, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, and Carrie Fisher

-Bonus disc: all-new bonus features, including the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced on the Star Wars saga, and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films

-"Empire of Dreams: The Story of the Star Wars Trilogy"

-Featurettes: The Legendary Creatures of Star Wars, The Birth of the Lightsabre, The Legacy of Star Wars

-Teasers, trailers, TV spots, still galleries

-Playable Xbox demo of the new Lucasarts game Star Wars Battlefront

-The making of the Episode III videogame

-Exclusive preview of Star Wars: Episode III

-Widescreen anamorphic format

-Number of discs: 4

Looks good just for the sneak peak at EP III and the upcoming star wars video game

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 04:47 AM   #27
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*sigh* I just want the original theatrical versions released on dvd. It doesn't look like lucas is that interested in preserving the integrity of the original masterpieces, damn his eyes.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:52 AM   #28
zinnite
Elven Warrior

I have a set of the original trilogy on DVD, believe it or not. I got it from someone who had it on laserdisc and converted them to DVD. They're pretty much perfect, with all the features available to DVD (menus, scene selection etc.); same picture & sound quality too. The only "flaw" is a very brief spot on each DVD where the laserdisc had to flipped to the other side during the transfer. If you can get a hold of a set like this (especially if you're die-hard fans of the original Star Wars), I highly reccomend it. I got it from a friend, but I'm sure you can find it all over Ebay.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 06:35 PM   #29
HOBBIT

Hey - with the dvds coming out in a day or two, more and more of the changes are becoming available.

Some people already have copies of it.

Pretty massive changes - check out this pretty comprehensive site of all the changes : http://free.hostdepartment.com/s/sta...ydvd/main.html

That site has most of the changes and has screenshots comparing scenes form the 1997 SE version to the 2004 DVD version.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 09-19-2004, 08:30 PM   #30
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

I got it! Meaning, I preordered it...
Old 09-20-2004, 09:12 PM   #31
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
*sigh* I just want the original theatrical versions released on dvd. It doesn't look like lucas is that interested in preserving the integrity of the original masterpieces, damn his eyes.

i hear that, i remember when i was younger looking for the original ones to compare to the new released tapes to see what it was like and my mom told me she gave them away, i was so pissed but luckily my cousin had them in perfect condition
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 06:16 AM   #32
Millane
The Dude

hmmm well they came out here on monday, its probably worth buying it for the special features disc alone....
PLUS
it had bits of Obi Wans and Anakins fight in ep 3 (with green screen but still), oooooooooh cant wait.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:04 PM   #33
HOBBIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinnite
I have a set of the original trilogy on DVD, believe it or not. I got it from someone who had it on laserdisc and converted them to DVD. They're pretty much perfect, with all the features available to DVD (menus, scene selection etc.); same picture & sound quality too. The only "flaw" is a very brief spot on each DVD where the laserdisc had to flipped to the other side during the transfer. If you can get a hold of a set like this (especially if you're die-hard fans of the original Star Wars), I highly reccomend it. I got it from a friend, but I'm sure you can find it all over Ebay.

Hmm, can I get a copy of these DVDs? :P

Old 09-26-2004, 03:43 AM   #34
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

The trilogy actually just came out on DVD, finally...
Old 09-26-2004, 03:52 AM   #35
Millane
The Dude

has anyone else actually watched them?
thoughts on having a youngish looking Hayden Christianson with Yoda and Ben? and the Naboo bit with Jar Jar
Old 09-26-2004, 02:45 PM   #36
HOBBIT

eh - i rented ROTJ DVD from Blockbuster yesterday - due back mon at noon.

I watched part of ROTJ - skipped right to the changed parts. Hayden looks so out of place. How would luke even recognize him?!?! The Naboo change is ok - doesnt bother me.

they also added in the jedi temple in the background in the final scenes.
got rid of old Anakin's eyebrows.

fixed up the rancor scene, holograms, etc.

redubbed boba fett.

Some brief new scenes.

The Bonus disc is pretty sweet!!!

Lucas says that the OT is now about 70% what he intended it to be -meaning yet more changes probably in like 3 years. Expect a dvd set with all 6 movies and WAY MORE changes to the OT.

Old 10-06-2004, 06:55 PM   #37
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I've had a couple of people ask me if it's worth buying the new DVDs. I will say unequivocably, YES. George has made no secret of the fact that he was rushed to release these due to piracy reasons, and I suspect that he had more changes in mind, but held back due to episode III not being released yet. It's my feeling that he may well fiddle with them again to add in details that would previously have been too much of a spoiler for ep III. So my feeling is, get these dvds. DVDs last, but this particular version of starwars might not. If you're not a fan of incessant fiddling, better to get them now, before George fiddles more. If you are, and the changes are good, I will grant him that, then get them. What are you waiting for?? I didn't think I'd like the changes, but overall, I agree with them. There are a few things that get on my nerves, but it would be a cold day in hell before something DIDN'T get on my nerves. And anyway, it as a freakin' awesome load of extras in this set. The documentary was... eye opening. A nice reminder on how little George has actually sold out. The man has always stuck to his vision... regardless of how many people he pisses off, and ya gotta respect that. And yes.... despite the end scene with naboo on ROTJ, I still like Jar-Jar, so there.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 10-06-2004 at 07:01 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:32 PM   #38
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

EarthBound

I bought the DVD triple set for a little under $50, and it is fairly good. I enjoy the movies, and even if they make changes later on I'll purchase them again because "star wars" was to me and my generation what LOTR is too many kids these days, a "revelation" to beauty and hope. (Star Wars was THE first movie I ever saw in a theater, actually, it was a Drive-In, I sat in the front seat (the only seat) of my father's yellow ford pickup with mom and sis and "WOW" my world changed!!!!

I've been waiting to hitch-hike ever since, but I'm EarthBound....Rats

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:10 AM   #39
Elessar the Elfstone
Enting

I have the DVDs (Does happy dance)

There all pretty amazing especially the forth disc with the ep III preview and stuff.

the only unusual bit was they've redone the bit in TESB where the emporor sends that transmition to vader. does anybody know why?
Elessar the Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:55 PM   #40
HOBBIT

yeah, they did it to put in ian mcdiarmid (sp) - who played the emperor in ROTJ and plays sidious/palpatine in the prequels.

TESB had like an old women as the emperor or something.

I didn't look it up though - just off the top of my head.

Correct me if I'm wrong.