Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Feedback and Tech Problems
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-13-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Closing of threads with 1000+ replies

What is the reason why the mods have to close a thread once it hits a 1000 posts?

Ben explained it a while back. IIRC it was something along the lines that once a thread reaches 1000 replies, the thread suddenly requires a lot more space on the server and it saves space to post in a new thread than to continue beyond 1000 replies.

If so, then why is this? What is the mechanism behind it? It seems so strange to me. Have the admins or mods checked if the problem that comes with having 1000+ threads still remains? I dno, maybe it's gone

If anyone can shed some light on this I'll be grateful, because I'm very curious
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Yes it does seem counter intuitive. Having 18 tea cup threads scattered over different parts of the drive would seem to require more over all space then one with 18,000 posts in it. But I think the issue isnt space so much as it is the ability to maintain a single gigantic thread. Requires the processor to work harder and harder as it grows and can lead to crashes. Although just 1000 posts seems a bit anemic to me from a technical aspect. Some threads are just getting warmed up by then. Im no tech expert though. Ill let Ben give a more descriptive answer.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

... maybe you will wait long ...
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:14 AM   #4
Ben
Retired Ent

Yeah it's not so much the space issue, but that it's very server-intensive. What happened was that having, for instance, the 10,000-reply Teacup Cafe opened so many times overloaded the server. The whole board was crashing, and I was told by the web host that all threads over 1000 replies needed to be reduced or deleted. I'm sure it's something of an arbitrary number, but it still keeps the server load manageable.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #5
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Hmmm...very interesting. I thought it had something to do with Modding being more manageable. And I was going to suggest, before I read Ben's post, that the Teacup threads perhaps could be/have been an exception, and allowed to extend to 2,000 posts instead of One Thousand. but...alas.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Thanks for the reply Ben.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote