Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-10-2009, 12:49 AM   #1
katya
Elven Maiden

Writing Exercise!

I started writing this today, and I thought it might be helpful to someone. It's sure helped me way more than I expected! The idea is basic, it's just writing letters to your characters and writing their responses. But, it I think it helps a lot with characterization. I'll post mine, just as an example. I'd be curious to read letters by you guys too! I'm the Goddess, by the way.

Quote:
Alex,
Why are you alive? Is your life worth living? Is it ok for you to be here?
~Goddess

Goddess,
I don't know. You would make my life a lot simpler if you'd just tell me. Why did you create me? Tell me that and then maybe I'll be able to answer some of your questions. What do you mean, is it ok for me to be here? If it wasn't, then you wouldn't have created me, would you? Have you created me a heretic?
Yes, I don't have the right to be alive when James is dead. I can imagine you thinking, "But you're such a good boy, and he was such a trouble maker". Or maybe you know better, know my heart to its deepest depths. You've seen me shamelessly lie to girls and manipulate them. You know I've never once been sincere when I told them I loved them, never once let myself get close to the ones I did love. You know what Rosiel means to me, how sinful my desire for her is. James was never like me. We were as close as two humans could be, we were all each other had, and yet somehow he remained unsullied and pure. I wasn't able to corrupt him, and I want to thank you for that. But, then I remember what happened in the end, how you corrupted him for me. I never wanted it to happen. How could I ever wish to trade a world full of all that is good and bright and alive for one void of anything but darkness and evil? You know I wanted him to save me. I wanted him to be the one to pull me out of this. I tried so hard to be good. I tried, but it was useless. James is dead.
My life has no worth, no value. It's a sin for me to be here, to be alive. So why? Don't ask me, I would take my life in an instant if you would let me. You tell me, Creator Goddess, why am I alive? Tell me.
~A

Alex,
Because you know better. You know you're not worthless. You know you can reform. You know that James had to die, that it wasn't your fault. You know, don't you, that you are beautiful? No? You don't? Someday you will understand. I pray. The same voice that tells you that you would never kill yourself is telling you that you are the most beautiful of all. You are favored by the creator. I love you.
~Goddess

Alex,
I want to get to know you better. Tell me what you had for breakfast this morning.
~Goddess

Goddess,
I'm not sure how much it will help you, but I can't deny your requests. This morning I had oatmeal and yogurt. I've started putting salt in my oatmeal, and it went from being bland to being quite good. I like strawberry yogurt best, but french vanilla is all right sometimes too. You know how I like sweet things. I've started drinking coffee. I never used to, but I have a hard time staying awake lately. It's hard, sometimes, to find the energy to make it through the day. I've heard that caffeine causes stress, but I don't care anymore. I'm addicted. I have a harder time than usual waking up in the morning these days. Goddess, will these days end? Will they stretch out forever? Please, tell me I'm not a coward for keeping myself alive. Allow me this one weakness. Let me rely on you.
~A

Alex,
You can't rely on me, my love, my cherished. You're not supposed to know I exist. You have to find it within yourself. That, or distract yourself from the emptiness forever. Live because though you don't know it's from me, you know that your life is a gift, and that it can only be what you make of it. Live because you are alive. Live for whatever small bit of meaning that might have.
Alex, write to James next. Write to him in Heaven. What would you tell him?
~Goddess

James,
Come back.
~A
This character is not always such a drama queen. He's going through a tough time.

Last edited by katya : 03-10-2009 at 12:50 AM.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote