Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-17-2000, 02:00 AM   #1
MereMoth

A question about the begining. (Please Read)

Well, my friend said LOTR is a really good series and I should read it. So, today I just bought (in a pack) The Hobbit and LOTR 1, 2, and 3. I just started The Hobbit and I'm on chapter 2.
I'm just wondering, how did Bilbo turn out to be a burglar (if he didn't like adventures in the first place)? And why didn't he ask those dwarfs, "What the heck are you doing in my house!?" instead of giving them food without any questions?

If someone could please answer my questions...I would be more than appreciative.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2000, 02:08 AM   #2
bmilder

Re: A question about the begining. (Please Read)

Welcome to the board, and I hope you enjoy the books!

If you read on, you'll find out that Bilbo ends up being quite an efficient burglar, and Gandalf has placed his trust in him well. During the party, Bilbo's Tookish side (The Tooks liked adventures) got the better of him, and he impulsively agreed to the adventure. Plus, he didn't have much of a choice!
Old 07-17-2000, 03:06 AM   #3
MereMoth

Thanks man! I now understand. Plus, me and my friend had a little chat over ICQ about it.
If you want to see the conversation, read the following:

==================================================

Me: 1. How did Bilbo turn out to be a burglar??? he doesnt even like adventure

Friend: they just call him that because Hobbits make great burglers. With their small size, long fingers, and fury feet (muffles the sound) they make great burglers.

Me: But why did that Gandalf guy choose him?

Friend: Well, there's a certain family of hobbits which was known to be rather adventurous. Bilbo comes from that family.

Me: Okeydokey

2. Why did Bilbo just let all those dwarfs waltz into his house without asking them, "What in the heck are you doing in my house!!??" instead of giving them food?

Friend: Hobbits are taught to be curteous and such. It's quite rude to tell someone to go away

Me: It's rude??? Couldnt it been more realistic and have Bilbo blow them away with a shotgun??

but i guess i have to take in consideration it was written in like 1937...right?

Friend: Bilbo could blow them away with a shotgun if he wants, but that's just plain rude. He'd never stoop to that level.

Me: ok. That's all the questions I have, for now =)

The End.

PS: I think I'll introduce him to this forum.
Old 07-17-2000, 02:30 PM   #4
Fat middle

as your friend said, it´s too rude for a hobbit to dispacht with bad words people who come to his house.

on further reading you´ll find how rich is the character that Tolkkien choose for Bilbo (and by extension to all hobbits). he´s gentle, kind and all but he´s also wise (at least for the small things of common life) and valiant (when his life or his home are in danger).

that applies to Bilbo and as i said before to all hobbits: although Bilbo can seem too adventurous for a hobbit, many of them will have act in a similar way. he´s the prototype of hobbits, he´s The Hobbit.

...though i doubt Gandalf could have found other hobbit with that "proverbial good luck" uf old Bilbo
Old 07-25-2000, 11:40 AM   #5
dunedain lady

When the first dwarf showed up,Bilbo though something along the lines of "I like guests, though I prefer to know that they're coming." In other words, he didn't want to pass up the chance for a party, and didn't want to be rude to these unexpected but undenyably polite dwarves. Also, at first he was too surprized to do anything about it, and by the time he got his wits back, it was too late to do anything about it. As someone else said, something in his Tookish blood woke up and demanded to hear about these dwarves. He secretely loved adventure in some part of him, and the dwarves represent adventure to him.
Old 07-26-2000, 01:24 AM   #6
MyStic PyRO

WOOOWWW!!! thanks u guys completly clear things up hehe.
Old 09-14-2000, 04:08 PM   #7
PTimmins

Something else to think about...

Gandalf (and the other wizards) were sent to Middle Earth to make sure that certain prophecies (sp??) actually came to pass (along with some other duties).

It was the right time for the ring to be found. So, along comes Gandalf with a group of Dwarves that just happen to be looking for a "burglar". The adventure with Smaug is actually a fairly minor side-line in the larger scheme of Middle Earth.

I hope you enjoy the series as much as most of us here have.

Pat
Old 01-14-2001, 11:12 PM   #8
Inoldonil

On the contrary bmilder, Bilbo was a horrible burgler. He turned out to be a worthy choice to change history and cut off Smaug from Sauron's uses in the War of the Ring, but he may very well have been the worst burgler ever to steal a milky way from a 711. I won't get into an analasys of what he did since the original poster here hasn't read it all yet, but Bilbo really wasn't a very good theif at all. Quite the hero, but not a theif.
Old 01-16-2001, 04:51 PM   #9
Gilthalion

(TRYING NOT TO GIVE TOO MUCH AWAY.)

I think he made an excellent burglar! He successfully burgled T... for quite some time, and that'd be hard to do, magic or no! He stole food, dwarves... etc.
Old 01-21-2001, 04:09 AM   #10
Spock1

G
Quite right. BB did become what G. predicted through necessity not of inate predisposition.
Old 01-22-2001, 01:56 AM   #11
Inoldonil

Well I suppose that was his shining moments, but the R and his Hobbit stealth I think helped him in that venture a great deal. I wouldn't say he "stole" the Dwarves so much as cleverly released them, but living in the HotEK for the time that he did was impressive. If he was a great theif maybe he could have done it without the R. Still, I wouldn't call him a good burgler.
Old 01-22-2001, 06:07 AM   #12
Elanor

At least he burgled for a good cause!
Old 02-04-2001, 02:53 AM   #13
Michael Martinez

Considering this thread was started last July, I don't think people need be concerned about spoiling the story for the person who started it.

It's a shame that Dungeons and Dragons has persuaded people to believe Hobbits make good burglers and thieves. It's not really in their nature to be like that, and they are hardly equipped by nature for the more aggressive thiefly stuff that role-playing games require.

And I just happen to rant about this topic in my latest article at Suite101, "Trampling the legacy, remaking the myth".
Old 02-04-2001, 08:54 AM   #14
Morkhon

That's one reason why I like the 3rd Edition D&D, haflings are less like Hobbits than ever.
Old 02-04-2001, 10:23 PM   #15
Inoldonil

LOL! Last July? Well if I wasn't hit over the head with a stupid stick!
Old 04-12-2001, 09:20 AM   #16
easterlinge

Re:

What made Gandalf study Hobbits I wonder? None of the other Wizards seemed to bother about them (except Saruman exploiting the Sackville-Bagginses).
Old 04-12-2001, 08:59 PM   #17
mercyfish

Re: Re:

"With their small size, long fingers, and fury feet (muffles the sound) they make great burglers."

Furry feet aren't the reason for their stealth, but they do help keep the feetwarm when you are barefoot all the time!

Old 04-13-2001, 09:58 PM   #18
Inoldonil

Where's that quote from?
Old 04-13-2001, 11:04 PM   #19
mercyfish

From an earlier post in the thread.
Old 04-14-2001, 04:14 AM   #20
Inoldonil

Thanks