Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-14-2001, 06:04 PM   #21
Spock1

Re: Re:

Gandalf took interest in many things the other wizards did not find interesting. That is what makes him an integral part of the solution. Hobbits have the potential for burglaring simply because of their anatomy no because of their personality.
Old 04-14-2001, 07:14 PM   #22
Inoldonil

Let's remember they _are not_ burglars, however stealthy. It is not a popular profession among them, and thieves would not be and were not tolerated in their societies. They were decent, lawful folk.
Old 04-16-2001, 04:04 PM   #23
easterlinge

Not tolerated in the Shire and the Bree-lands perhaps. Hobbits there are decent folk and pretty well off.

What about poorer more desperate Hobbits living in crude holes in other parts , if there are any?
Old 04-16-2001, 05:03 PM   #24
Michael Martinez

Re: Hobbits as thieves?

Then you have to ask from whom they would be stealing, since most of Eriador was pretty empty. Circumstances pretty much argue against thievery among Hobbits.
Old 04-16-2001, 08:39 PM   #25
Inoldonil

easterlinge, there were Hobbits wandering about Eriador that were no better than tramps, digging holes and staying only as long as it pleased them, but that's all we know about them. Like Michael just said, who are they going to steal from?
Old 04-16-2001, 10:26 PM   #26
Michael Martinez

And they don't drink or beat their children, and they always have food to put on the table. Hobbits would look pretty good on a dating service except for the fact they are short and tubby.
Old 04-16-2001, 11:17 PM   #27
Inoldonil

Well, they do drink.
Old 04-17-2001, 12:52 AM   #28
Michael Martinez

"don't drink..." to excess, that should have said.

Of course, then there is the aftermath of the Party where a few were rolled off in carts. But I was thinking of alcoholism. Unfortunately, I've had a few distractions today and completing any thought has been an iffy business.
Old 04-17-2001, 07:58 PM   #29
Spock1

Pray deliver me from those seeking to ascribe modern socially correct labels to those of M.E. They were as they were written, nothing more or less.
Old 04-18-2001, 12:33 AM   #30
Inoldonil

They were rolled off in carts because they had been accidently left behind, the more important folk went off in carriages.

Some of the Bree-landers thought Frodo had had more ale than was good for him, though, when he stood on his table.
Old 04-18-2001, 10:10 AM   #31
easterlinge

"They were rolled off in carts because they had been accidently left behind, the more
important folk went off in carriages."

Why were they left behind in the first place? Because the got DRUNK and passed out, of course!!

I dunno. The poorer Hobbits might steal from travelling Dwarves, maybe, when there were more Dwarves travelling around?
Old 04-18-2001, 05:26 PM   #32
Michael Martinez

Quote:
They were rolled off in carts because they had been accidently left behind, the more important folk went off in carriages.
They were rolled off in carts because they were, apparently, too drunk to make it home on their own.

That is not to say that public drunkenness was a problem in the Shire, but the Party was an immensely special occasion, and Bilbo was quite generous in all ways.

Don't forget that Odo Proudfoot drowned his anger at Bilbo in wine.
Old 05-02-2001, 04:59 AM   #33
easterlinge

Drunk Hobbits.

Unless there are vineyards in the Shire, Bilbo would have to import wine from..... where? The nearest civilization would be the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains, and after that.... errr....

I suppose there are vineyards in the Shire.
Old 05-02-2001, 06:18 AM   #34
Michael Martinez

Re: Drunk Hobbits.

Bilbo gave Rory Brandybuck a dozen bottles of Old Winyards from Southfarthing. I have no idea of whether it would or should be regarded as a cheap wine or an expensive.
Old 05-04-2001, 04:02 AM   #35
easterlinge

Wine

Elves seem to enjoy wine, too. Galion the Butler of Mirkwood couldn't resist broaching King Thranduil's wine. The cheek! Isn't that a Royal offense?

And when Gimli thundered about where the hobbits found pipeweed in Isengard, Legolas wondered about the wine.

Do Elves consume vast quantities of wine? Do they drink other beverages as well?
Old 05-04-2001, 04:09 AM   #36
Michael Martinez

Re: Wine

Wine was a popular drink in both the ancient and medieval worlds. It may have been more commonly drunk in the Mediterranean area than in northern lands. I'm not very familiar with the history of wines. And don't forget the cordial of Rivendell. A cordial, as I understand it, is a liquour. Rivendell's cordial may have been a type of brandy (brandy is distilled from wine).
Old 05-04-2001, 11:50 AM   #37
easterlinge

Is it possible to out-drink an Elf? Just wondering.
Old 05-06-2001, 12:08 AM   #38
Inoldonil

You need not say 'as I understand it ...'. It is stated to be liquor.

Quote:
'Just a mouthful each - for all of us. It is very precious. It is miruvor, the cordial of Imladris. Elrond gave it to me at our parting. Pass it round!'

As soon as Frodo had swallowed a little of the warm and fragrant liquor he felt a new strength of heart, and the heavy drowsiness left his limbs.