Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Physics Things Brendan Rambles

This is my new incomplete compilation of things I ramble about in physics-related topics. They are completely disordered, may contain typos, and are by no means consistent or easy to understand.

So, let me just make some placeholder posts, and let's get started!

Note: I really don't need the ones I've posted so far; many on Entmoot have already seen them. Unfortuneately, Myspace, where I've posted some of my best, is down, and so is my other hard drive, where I have some of them saved. I'll make do with Entmoot posts for now.

Table of Contents
Chapter 1: The Good Posts
Chapter 2: The Bad Posts
Chapter 3: The Ugly Posts (Not for the laymen at heart!)

Chapter 1: The Good Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane, 02-17-2006, 06:45 PM
I've heard of that dual electron theory, or whatever you call it. Wow, you apparently know more than I.
But black holes are not of infinite mass. That is impossible. In fact, just to contradict myself, I'll say something that my senior docent/co-worker at the Living Desert said. He's smart, and pointed out what I'd never thought of: that there is no such thing as infinite in a finite universe. Infinite mass would destroy the universe. And one has to wonder: If the Universe was a singularity once, how come black holes don't "explode" (or expand) and create a new universe? Because the Big Bang (ah, I love science for it's simple names that are so blatantly simple that simplicity itself looks complex!) was a different kind of singularity: it was a timelike singularity. There was no such thing as time before the Big Bang. There was nothing. In fact, there was so much of nothing, that words like place are rendered useless, and even words like nothing and useless can't exist, and existence itself is impossible. Even impossiblility is unheard of, and then again, you can't hear anything if there is nothing to hear and nothing to carry the waves and now laws of science to govern how sound is received. On the other hand, black holes are spacelike singularities.
Which brings me to something else: space is not nothingness. Space is empty, but it's not nothingness. Nothingness cannot be empty, because it's nothing. In fact, it's theorized that space is just a word used ot describe the universal gravitational field.
And one more thing. Many people mistakenly thing that the galaxies are moving away from each other as the universe gets "bigger". WRONG! The galaxies, though getting farther and farther apart, are in fact remaining completely stationary except to the extent of minor tidal, gravitational, and coriolis forces combined with some laws of physics such as inertia (as in galactic collisoins). They appear to be moving apart because space is expanding. It's just getting bigger. I have some trouble explaining this, but perhaps the word, space dilation, is best to describe it.
And one more thing, in a black hole event horizon, for a ship passing into it, each day for them is millions or billions of years to a distant observer. And to them, the universe outside is moving at a chaotic rate. Chances are, the universe would collapse onto you long before you ever reached the horizon. All in a days work, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane, 02-17-2006, 07:13 PM
I never said you did, and if you did, you'd be correct. There's connections out there that all of our combined knowlege wouldn't be able to comprehend, including that nothingness, which I still imageine as "White" but white is something in itself.
Nope, sorry, I actually got all this from one book and several hours of searching wikipedia. I heard of A Brief History of Time and almost bought it, decided against it because I didn't think I'd understand it (and consequencially bought the book where it said all this from the bargain rack--wonder why it was there!). A good sciecne book, the one I keep mentioning, is The Astronomy Cafe (I bought it only because I thought teacup cafe-ers would get a kick with me reading that), and apparently it is only 365 questions (and wonderfully simple answers describing such complex phenomena!) based on a whole website full of them. This book though is probably best, because it summarizes the best questions. I've got to visit that site. Also, after every entry in the book, it gives you a series of numbers that somehow take you to similar questions on the website if you type them in somewhere.

Last edited by trolls' bane : 07-24-2006 at 04:16 PM.
trolls' bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
trolls' bane

Placeholder...
Old 07-24-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
trolls' bane

Placeholder #2

This is all I should need.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
katya