Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-17-2000, 07:02 PM   #1
andustar

love in lotr?

ive heard rumours that the story of aragorn and arwen, as well as eowyn and faramir were going to be made more obvious and put much more emphasis on. but maybe this should go on another board?
Old 04-17-2000, 11:00 PM   #2
anduin

Re: love in lotr?

Well, it is worthy of it's own attention in the LOTR Movie forum...but it is just as appropriate here since that is the direction that this thread has taken....

I personally love all references to Arwen and Eowyn in the books and would love to see those parts played out on film , but I would rather have PJ stick to the story as it is written, and not over emphasize any certain character for the sake of movie making.
Old 04-28-2000, 04:29 PM   #3
Anteater

Tom Bombadil as 'The Witch King'???.... HELL NO!!!

Tom was not the Lord of the Nazgul... No way. They were so corrupted by the ring that they were shadows that became invisible to all. Look at the brilliant colors that Tom is described as wearing... too much of a contrast there between the blackness of the Nazgul -I'd assume their leader would be even darker and unable to take the shape, form, and radiance of Tom. Also, I always assumed the Nazgul to be 'blind'... at least optically... this explains their "sniffing". I am sure that they are 'aware' of what is arround them, but I do not feel that this perception can be described as 'seeing'. So why the colors???

Also... The ring has NO EFFECT on Tom when he puts it on his finger!!! The Nazgul are obviously affected by the ONE RING!!! Their desire to find it would be overwhelming!!! No way the Witch King would be able to play with the ring as if it were a coin machine trinket; dismiss it... and then hand it back to Frodo!!!

Sheesh... I better get back to work...

Later!!!
Old 04-28-2000, 11:23 PM   #4
Eruve

Re: Tom Bombadil as 'The Witch King'???.... HELL NO!!!

Just FYI, the Tolkien sarcasm page has a section called "crack-pot" theories. I think these are things people actually posted on the Tolkien news groups, and I think some of it was originally meant in all seriousness. The webamster of the sarcasm page has collected the theories for our amusement. The Bombadil/Witch-king theory comes form this page. It's a joke. Enjoy it. I'll be back with the link to more (and then you'll get even less work done, LOL).
Old 04-28-2000, 11:26 PM   #5
IronParrot

Less work? Is it possible to do negative work? :lol:
Old 04-28-2000, 11:32 PM   #6
Eruve

Negative work? That's about what I accomplish every day!

Link to sarcasm page:
www.speakeasy.org/~ohh/tolksarc.htm
Old 04-29-2000, 05:19 PM   #7
IronParrot

That site is hilarious! Plus, it even points out that Mouth of Sauron inconsistency mentioned in another thread here.

Hehe...
Quote:
When Isildur had control of the One Ring, why didn't he use it to command the Ringwraiths? Or the Elven-rings? Or the Dwarven-rings? He could have ruled the whole of Middle-earth with that Ring, yet he decided instead to just write a couple of letters and then go for an unfortunate swim. What's his problem, anyway? Was he stupid?
Quote:
And if, as is likely, a bacterium had landed on the inner surface of the Ring, would the Ring corrupt it into an evil bacterium? Would it be invisible to other bacteria? Would its' life stretch out and become an unending weariness? Would it use its' increased strength and stature to rule over other bacteria? Would it fight to keep other bacteria from adhering to the Ring? Would it still evolve genetically, or would it instead become a Bacteria-wraith?
Old 04-29-2000, 06:48 PM   #8
andustar

i put a link to the site in the advertisements thread, go see it!