Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-18-2002, 06:50 PM   #1
Eowyn, The Lioness
Enting

Tamora Pierce

Has anyone else read her Song of the Lioness,Immortals, Circle of magic, or Protector of the Small series? I seem to be the only one;which is a shame considering how great they are. The Song of the Lioness series is where I got the 2nd half of my name from.
Eowyn, The Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 10:04 PM   #2
TinuvielChild
Padawan

i've read all the books by Tamora Pierce except for the newest The Circle Opens book, i'm not much of a fan of the Circle Opens series, i preferred the original 4 much more. i LOVE her Tortall books.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 11:09 AM   #3
The Grim Squeaker
Banned

TORTALL RULES! i love it! but the winding circle isnt so great
The Grim Squeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 11:10 AM   #4
FliPip
Banned

I've read most of them, and love them all. The last one I read was the first of The Circle opens, which was good.
FliPip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 07:52 PM   #5
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I read them to my daughters. Goddess bless!
Old 04-15-2002, 01:40 PM   #6
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
I've read ever one I could get my hands on, they're terrific! The Song of the Lioness series is cool, but Daine rules!
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 06:44 PM   #7
Eowyn, The Lioness
Enting

I read every one except for the last one in the Protector of the Small series. "lady Knight" I think it's called. I wasn't too fond of the Circle of Magic books so I haven't read the Circle Opens.
My favorite is a toss up betweenThe Woman Who Rides Like a Man , In the Realm of the Gods , and Squire .
I like the fact that Kel had to accomplish her status of Knight without magic , though I always am wishing I could be in Alanna's shoes.

Last edited by Eowyn, The Lioness : 04-15-2002 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2002, 07:40 PM   #8
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Squire is definatly the best so far but it seems like forecer till the next one. Does anyone know when it's supposed to come out?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-15-2002, 07:50 PM   #9
Eowyn, The Lioness
Enting

Actually, I heard it was supposed to come out this month sometime! I'm awaiting it's arrival...
Old 04-15-2002, 08:25 PM   #10
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by TinuvielChild
i've read all the books by Tamora Pierce except for the newest The Circle Opens book, i'm not much of a fan of the Circle Opens series, i preferred the original 4 much more. i LOVE her Tortall books.
What's the matter with the Circle Opens, I love reading about what goes on next (but then again I like having bad series go on!), and can't wait for it to come out! Does anyone know whose book the next one is?

Old 04-22-2002, 06:01 PM   #11
Eowyn, The Lioness
Enting

No, I'm not sure.
Who's your favorite character? Mine's Briar;Thta's such a cool name-Briar Moss...
Old 04-22-2002, 08:06 PM   #12
Lady of Darkness
Elf Lord

Tamora Peirce is awesome! I've read all of them and am starting a countdown until the last one in the Protector of the Small series comes out on August 27th. Only 19 more weeks to go!!!!!!!
I am Morwen, Lady of Darkness.

Her head was bowed,
from all the tears and pain,
but she would rise again
Lady of Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 06:13 PM   #13
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Did you know Cold Fire's out? That's daja's book. She seems to have the least trouble with her apprentences. But then again she got rid of hers the fastest. I can't wait to see what Tris finds.

Old 04-27-2002, 06:24 PM   #14
TinuvielChild
Padawan

i haven't read Cold Fire, but interestingly enough, i know someone who's met Tamora Pierce and one of the people in my study/Drama club/Little Shop (of Horrors) was reading the proof copy that her aunt or something lent her to read, before it was published. isn't that cool??

i really liked the Song of the Lioness and Immortals series, i think the Protector of the Small ones are ok. i mean i really like them, but i love the other two series.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 04-27-2002, 07:06 PM   #15
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by TinuvielChild
i really liked the Song of the Lioness and Immortals series, i think the Protector of the Small ones are ok. i mean i really like them, but i love the other two series.
take that back. But I know what you mean, i love Daine too.

Old 04-27-2002, 07:10 PM   #16
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Quote:
Originally posted by TwirlingString

take that back.
Shan't!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 04-27-2002, 07:25 PM   #17
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Was too much to hope for, what else has tamora pierce written?

Old 04-27-2002, 07:55 PM   #18
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Song of the Lioness series (Alanna: the First Adventure, In the Hand of the Goddess, The Woman who Rides like a Man, and Lioness Rampant), the Immortals series (Wild Magic, Wolfspeaker, Emperor Mage, and The Realms of the Gods), the Protector of the Small series (First Test, Page, Squire, and soon, Lady Knight), the Circle of Magic series (Sandry's Book, Tris's Book, Daja's Book, and Briar's Book), and the Circle Opens series (Magic Steps, Street Magic, and Cold Fire so far). those are all the books by Tamora Pierce.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 04-27-2002, 07:59 PM   #19
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

You know I've read all those, o why did you list them. Can't wait. Lady knight, Lady knight (brother chanting in the background)

Old 04-27-2002, 10:29 PM   #20
TinuvielChild
Padawan

well, you did ask what else she had written, and as i didn't know what you'd read, i listed them all. don't blame me for your lack of precision of language! <---(note the smiley that says that i'm not being mean.)

FRODO LIVES!!!!!