Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2003, 07:24 PM   #1
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
*Sigh* I find myself agreeing with everything Ruinel and Gwaimir are saying again. I really should think for myself!
Yes, thinking for yourself is always best. I'm not fond of thinking for people, it puts a drain on my brainpower.
Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
[BWhat's up with all this Fëanor-hating?! [/B]
Like I said, we really don't hate Fëanor. We just dislike all the stuff he did. But without all that nasty stuff he did, the stories would have been so dull.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 09:40 PM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Question: does Ñ pronounce as ng?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 10:25 PM   #3
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yes, and the initial 'ng' is a rather hard sound for Caucasians (or at least Americans) to pronounce. I had a friend from Thailand work with me on it (they have that initial 'ng' sound in their language) and I got fairly good at it. I would just say a word like 'ring' then go straight into Ñoldor (i.e., "ri-NGoldor") until he was happy with how it sounded, then I would just kinda think 'ring' in my head before saying Ñoldor, now I can just say it w/o the help of saying/thinking a word like 'ring' first.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 10:43 PM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

O, I wish I knew a Tolkien scholar in person, so they could coach me!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 11:15 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Try the ring thing, GW, it really works quite well

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 12:23 AM   #6
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
(though we would get some problems with words starting in 's').
That would be torment enough
Don't be thilly.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 02:48 AM   #7
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
No he HAS NOT! I have a few choice jokes, pranks, and torments, that he richly deserves.
Tell us!
Quote:
Don't be thilly.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:50 AM   #8
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

check this thread

http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...anor+a+villian

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 10:12 AM   #9
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Don't be thilly.
I am ath thilly ath I want
Old 04-04-2003, 07:24 PM   #10
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
I'm not fond of Fëanor. He is headstrong and stubborn. As Gwaimir Windgem pointed out, he is ruled by his emotions. I had a lot of pitty for Nerdanel, being married to him.
Interesting, but people where amazed that Fëanor would choose Nerdanel as his wife.
From the Morgoth's Ring: Later Quentas
Quote:
While still in early youth Fëanor wedded Nerdanel, a maiden of the Noldor; at which many wondered, for she was not among the fairest of her people. But she was strong, and free of mind, and filled with the desire of knowledge.
Quote:
However, as Arien the Maia pointed out, he is interesting. What would the books be without him? Don't tell Maedhros I said this, but I think Fëanor's faults and weaknesses actually make the stories he is in. And certainly, he makes others look so much better when compared to him.
Hehe. But in all reality, you needed an Elf like Fëanor to drive the Ñoldor out of paradise. Who else had the skill and passion to do that?
When you think about it, Fëanor is in a class by himself. He is all of the elves the most brilliant, not only in matters of lore but in craftsmanship. The achievements of the others elves pales in comparison to that of Kurufinwë.
Also remember that it was Fëanor that Melkor wanted to corrupt.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 11:04 PM   #11
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
Hehe. But in all reality, you needed an Elf like Fëanor to drive the Ñoldor out of paradise. Who else had the skill and passion to do that?
When you think about it, Fëanor is in a class by himself. He is all of the elves the most brilliant, not only in matters of lore but in craftsmanship. The achievements of the others elves pales in comparison to that of Kurufinwë.
Also remember that it was Fëanor that Melkor wanted to corrupt.
To drive the Noldor out of paradise... not exactly a good thing now was it? (Rhetorical!) I wouldn't call him brilliant. Melkor wanted to corrupt many. He usually went for those that he could use and those that would seem easy to corrupt.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:15 AM   #12
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
people where amazed that Fëanor would choose Nerdanel as his wife.
Maybe Feanor was one of those Elves who looked for the inner beauty of another and not just the physical appearance.
It is intersting though...isn't Feanor considered one of the best looking Elves?
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 01:08 AM   #13
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
Maybe Feanor was one of those Elves who looked for the inner beauty of another and not just the physical appearance.
It is intersting though...isn't Feanor considered one of the best looking Elves?
IMO, Feanor was lucky to have Nerdanel.
Maybe it's a mental block, but I don't recall that ("one of the best looking Elves").
Old 04-05-2003, 10:28 AM   #14
Artanis

I'd say Fëanor married the one who best could be his match in skill and knowledge, and with strength enough to stand up to him if necessary. He wouldn't want someone tailwagging at his feet. Nerdanel also had strength enough to give him 7 sons, very impressive woman. It's a pity Fëanor and Nerdanel afterwards became estranged.

Too many women think they can change a man, if they only love him enough. They're wrong.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:54 AM   #15
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
I'd say Fëanor married the one who best could be his match in skill and knowledge, and with strength enough to stand up to him if necessary. He wouldn't want someone tailwagging at his feet. Nerdanel also had strength enough to give him 7 sons, very impressive woman. It's a pity Fëanor and Nerdanel afterwards became estranged.

Too many women think they can change a man, if they only love him enough. They're wrong.
Good point!!! (both)
I think that if I had 7 children, I would go insane. She would have to be strong of mind to have 7 sons as well as put up with his bull.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:42 PM   #16
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Maybe it's a mental block, but I don't recall that ("one of the best looking Elves").
It is.
From the Published Silmarillion: Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor
Quote:
For Fëanor was made the mightiest in all parts of body and mind, in valour, in endurance, in beauty, in understanding, in skill, in strength and in subtlety alike, of all the Children of Ilúvatar, and a bright flame was in him.
Quote:
I wouldn't call him brilliant.
I would call him a genius only for his work in languages.
If you look at Vinyar Tengwar # 39: Appendix D of Quendi and Eldar
Quote:
In the mode that he propounded for the practical representation of Quenya he made use of the syllabic analysis of his predecessors, already embodied in the older Rúmilian script, but he did this chiefly for the sake of compactness and brevity. The basic "letters" were consonants, and vowels were indicated by diacritic signs, usually written above the preceding consonant (that is, according to the older terminology, indicating its "colour"). Where a vowel had no preceding consonant use was made of the device already mentioned, by which the vowel signs were attached to the letter . But this no longer had in the Fëanorian system any consonantal value, and became merely a "carrier" for convenience in writing. Fëanor indeed repudiated the theory that penye tengwi were always due to consonantal loss. (Note 3)
Quote:
Fëanor, therefore, in spite of the usual mode of spelling, held that vowels were each independent tengwi, or word-building elements, though different in functions. Vowels he called óma-tengwi or ómear'y and consonants ñáva-tengwi or ñávear. That is, those chiefly dependent on resonance of the voice, and those chiefly dependent on the movements in the mouth (including the lips) (Note 4). For ñávear he later substituted the invented word patakar, taking p, t, k (as in his alphabet) to represent the chief positions of consonantal contact or friction.
Fëanor actually devised "for the Loremasters" separate independent letters for the vowels, distinct from the tehtar. This quanta sarme or "full writing" was indeed mainly used by the Loremasters for special purposes, until later in Middle-earth the Fëanorian letters were applied to other languages, such as Sindarin, in which the diacritic method of indicating vowels was inconvenient.
And that has nothing to do with his abilities as a craftsmen.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:04 PM   #17
Falagar

A little bit out of topic, perhaps, but: I've got a new avatar!
...which, for some reason, has always reminded me of Fëanor. Looks perhaps a little bit too 'happy', but...well...

Last edited by Falagar : 04-05-2003 at 10:06 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:15 PM   #18
Ruinel
Banned

Falagar, be careful... that avitar looks an awful lot like he has pointed ears. Many around here do not believe Elves have pointed ears.

Maedhros, ... ever the Fëanor defender.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:18 PM   #19
Falagar

Quote:
Falagar, be careful... that avitar looks an awful lot like he has pointed ears. Many around here do not believe Elves have pointed ears.
Who might that be? Every enlighted person knows that Elves have leaf-shaped ears
Old 04-06-2003, 04:02 AM   #20
Artanis

Quote:
Who might that be? Every enlighted person knows that Elves have leaf-shaped ears
Enlighted to the point of being dazzled, I would say.

BTW, Who is the man on your avatar, if it's not Fëanor?