Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 04:09 PM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Checked that profile and they last posted January 28th. If it has to be re-assigned, I will put up a sticky for re-assignments in the future.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-20-2003, 04:18 PM   #2
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Well, it's risky to make plans more than a year ahead with members on a board like this, as it is done in the Sil project.

Now perhaps we should go back to the topic of this thread, or the title will prove itself true
Old 03-20-2003, 06:17 PM   #3
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Fingon...uhmm...I liked his death
Old 03-20-2003, 06:27 PM   #4
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Fingon...uhmm...I liked his death
What a carefully ambigious statement

But I had forgotten exactly how Fingon died. If it took two balrogs to end his life, he must indeed have been a great warrior.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:30 PM   #5
Falagar

Taking this completely out of my mind, but isn't it stated that his head burned down when it was cloven (or if it was decapitated...can't remember)?
Old 03-20-2003, 06:40 PM   #6
Artanis

Quote:
But now in the western battle Fingon and Turgon were assailed by a tide of foes thrice greater than all the force that was left to them. Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs, high-captain of Angband, was come; and he drove a dark wedge between the Elvenhosts, surrounding King Fingon, and thrusting Turgon and Húrin aside towards the Fen of Serech. Then he turned upon Fingon. That was a grim meeting. At last Fingon stood alone with his guard dead about him; and he fought with Gothmog, until another Balrog came behind and cast a thong of fire about him. Then Gothmog hewed him with his black axe, and a white flame sprang up from the helm of Fingon as it was cloven. Thus fell the High King of the Noldor; and they beat him into the dust with their maces, and his banner, blue and silver, they trod into the mire of his blood.
Reading about this battle again now moves me. Nirnaeth Arnoediad is indeed a fitting name.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:06 PM   #7
Falagar

Yeah, there's a reason why it's my favorite chapter. It was even sadder than the tale of The Fall of Gondolin in The Book of Lost Tales, part two...
Old 03-20-2003, 07:19 PM   #8
Artanis

Hmm, FoG is up high on the list of stories/books waiting to be read. If only I had more time ...

Ooops, straying out of topic again
Old 03-20-2003, 07:29 PM   #9
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Next thing you'll be telling me that Sauron and Morgoth were better than FF.
I don't know about Melkor, but I can make a very good case with Sauron.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:30 PM   #10
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
I like annoying FF fans.
Go annoy the Legolas/Orli Fangirls!!!! At least we have reasons to like Finrod Felegund. Legolas is a dork! Maedhros, you need a spanking!
"Tears Unnumbered" so *snif* sad... and it took 2 Balrogs to bring him down... that's gotta say something.
Artanis: you must make the time, turn off the TV... sit in your favorite chair and read. There is so much more in the books than is on TV. Nothing good is on TV anymore (especially since Farscape is being canceled on the SciFi channel).
Old 03-20-2003, 11:26 PM   #11
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I will overlook that remark, since I know you are just trying to get a rise out of me.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-21-2003, 02:56 AM   #12
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Artanis: you must make the time, turn off the TV... sit in your favorite chair and read. There is so much more in the books than is on TV. Nothing good is on TV anymore (especially since Farscape is being canceled on the SciFi channel).
Did I say anything about TV? I hardly never watch TV, except the news and some good movies. Not that I don't want to, I haven't got time. And there's piles of books in my shelf waiting impatiently to be read, among them most of the HoME series. These are not books you sit down and read easily, you need time to contemplate. But with three kids and a full-time job ... nuff said.
Quote:
It would be interesting to see that case, Maedhros.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:43 AM   #13
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Artanis, you musn't incourage him.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-21-2003, 10:31 AM   #14
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Artanis, you musn't incourage him.
He-he. It's my curiosity. I wonder how he will make Sauron appeal to you the way Finrod does.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:24 PM   #15
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
He-he. It's my curiosity. I wonder how he will make Sauron appeal to you the way Finrod does.
I have a line of reasoning, I just need a little time to post.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:56 PM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I have a line of reasoning, I just need a little time to post.
Spare me.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-21-2003, 08:08 PM   #17
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Did I say anything about TV? I hardly never watch TV, except the news and some good movies. Not that I don't want to, I haven't got time. And there's piles of books in my shelf waiting impatiently to be read, among them most of the HoME series. These are not books you sit down and read easily, you need time to contemplate. But with three kids and a full-time job ... nuff said.
I hear ya, loud and clear. I have two kids myself and a full-time job (see where it says... M-F 7am to 4pm: HELL... yeah, that's work). I read Morgoth's Ring in less than a day. But my kids were spending the day at their friends' houses (lucky break for me!). I mentioned the TV b/c most people watch a lot of TV, which I find to be wasted time. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
*puts head in hands* Please, oh, please, do not encourage this little pup.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:50 AM   #18
Artanis

Kids are a blessing, aren't they
Quote:
I read Morgoth's Ring in less than a day.
Wow. I don't think I could read any of the HoME books in just a day, even with kids away and no other duties. Someone said here that you don't read the HoME books, you study them. That's how I feel too.
Quote:
*puts head in hands* Please, oh, please, do not encourage this little pup.
Too late, I'm afraid Aren't you curious also?
Old 03-22-2003, 09:59 AM   #19
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
I hear ya, loud and clear. I have two kids myself and a full-time job (see where it says... M-F 7am to 4pm: HELL... yeah, that's work). I read Morgoth's Ring in less than a day. But my kids were spending the day at their friends' houses (lucky break for me!). I mentioned the TV b/c most people watch a lot of TV, which I find to be wasted time. Sorry.
Wow, you are old. (Not that it's a bad thing)
It would be scary to see you and SGH fighting over FF, now that is scary. That would be a heavyweight no holding back fight.
Quote:
Too late, I'm afraid Aren't you curious also?
Hehe.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 03-22-2003, 01:20 PM   #20
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Wow, you are old. (Not that it's a bad thing)
It would be scary to see you and SGH fighting over FF, now that is scary. That would be a heavyweight no holding back fight.

Hehe.
Duh... yeah, little pup. Read my profile: 1300 first age! That's pretty friggin' old, dude.

Probably not a "heavyweight" fight as I'm almost 120 lbs, but I'm stronger than I seem. I don't know what class SGH fits in, I assume about the same. SGH and I have a truce, unless she reads "The story of Rúnyel, Tolkien revised." *looks around anxiously* which I'm not telling in what thread it is! *knows this isn't going to save her* sign... omg what have I done.
Closed Thread