Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-27-2005, 07:17 PM   #21
Gandalf The White Rider
Sapling

it actully says in the books 'The White Rider (Gandalf)is more powerful than all the nine black' so there you have it Peter!!!
Old 03-13-2005, 08:00 PM   #22
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytt
He has a staff later on, yes. I think so at least. Peter Jackson has made so much idiotic changes he didn't have to. *arg*
actually, he doesn't have another staff until the grey havens (cirdan must keep spares ) in the tomb, it is a (spear thingy gandalf has, that he grabs off a guard, if that is the point you mean, otherwise, like elem, *pat, pat, pat*
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #23
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
GANDALF KICKS TOO MUCH BUTT TO FALL BEFORE A PUNY NAZGUL-KINGY-THINGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jackson made so many mistakes on his departures that it's almost not worth getting upset over them.

I agree that it was a confusing scene, and departed from the plot. But it wasn't nearly as annoying as Denethor's death scene.

Besides the fact that the witch king was mounted on horse and rode in through the front gate of Minas Tirith, and besides the fact that Gandalf was using Glamdring and didn't even have a freaking staff (or spear), the witch king was not a foe to be taken lightly.

He was a badass, particularly since he had just been invested with a huge boost of necromantic and sorcerous powers from the ceremonies at minas morgul.

If he and Gandalf HAD actually fought, I have no doubt that tolkein would have considered the outcome to be in doubt up to the very last second of the fight.

Instead we got Jackson's witch king swooping in on a flying steed and attacking at the very citadel, and shattering a non-existent staff. It WAS a rather dramatic visual, I can't argue with that, but it makes absolutely no sense plotwise.

Not when you try to reconcile it with the book, and not even within the movie!

I mean, if the witch king was THAT confident, why didn't he and the Nazgul just land at the citadel and invest the city from the top down!?

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...

Last edited by Blackheart : 03-14-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 02:55 PM   #24
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

[scouse accent]cam down, cam down[/scouse accent]

a proper fight between the two of them would have been great, but meh!
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:10 AM   #25
The Palantir
Hobbit

I read the books, and isn't there something about Gandalf being the most powerful being you would ever meet in Middle Earth, unless you were brought before the throne of the Dark Lord?
The Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:18 PM   #26
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Yes there is, in the chapter 'The White Rider'. Also what would Gandalf be doing going to some place in Minas Tirith that leads to absolutley nowhere, when he was meant to be saving Faramir?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:07 PM   #27
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Palantir
I read the books, and isn't there something about Gandalf being the most powerful being you would ever meet in Middle Earth, unless you were brought before the throne of the Dark Lord?
Most powerful? hmm... That's arguable. You'd be better off rephrasing that. Most Dangerous? perhaps.

But the Witch King at that point was pulling power directly from some kind of sorcerous link. Gandalf certainly didn't seem overconfident about having to face him....

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #28
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

I don't understand one thing : WHY has PJchanged the scene at the Gates as it is in the book? No one could ever make a better script. It might have been the best scene in the movie. Instead, some poor staff-breaking inventions.
Another thing. In the book Wikkie is on a horse, so when he hears horns, he has to ride to where his fellbeast is left, change to it and go attack Eowyn. And he attacks her shortly after the attack has begun.
In the film, when he is with Gandalf, he is on his fellbeast already, so he could be on Teoden in seconds. Instead he is away throughout all the attack and through all the olifaunts slaughter! He could have flown to Mordor and back in this time...
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:16 PM   #29
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

An intersting observation, CrazySquirrel! And very true. Want some fun? Read this:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2195364/1/
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:34 PM   #30
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
An intersting observation, CrazySquirrel! And very true. Want some fun? Read this:
Bwahaha! Hilarious! Did you write that?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:07 AM   #31
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Bwahaha! Hilarious! Did you write that?
Oh, no, regretfully not. I would have loved to have such talent, but helas!
I have no idea who this Kingmaker is, I just liked the story told from the Witch-King POV.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:06 PM   #32
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Most powerful? hmm... That's arguable. You'd be better off rephrasing that. Most Dangerous? perhaps.

But the Witch King at that point was pulling power directly from some kind of sorcerous link. Gandalf certainly didn't seem overconfident about having to face him....
I can back up the palantir here, it does say most powerful, and the dark lord WITH HIS RING! and, stupid ol' pj made gandalf scared of the witch king, in the book (true story) he woulda fought him if pippin hadnt come along.

anyway, my 1st post!!!!!!!!!!!
whoo hoo!
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:15 AM   #33
CrazySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
Oh! I spilled mu coffee all over the screen!
Thanks!!!
Old 05-20-2005, 10:21 AM   #34
CrazySquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by durinsbane2244
Istupid ol' pj made gandalf scared of the witch king, in the book (true story) he woulda fought him if pippin hadnt come along.
Yep, he would have fought him, even if he were scared. And in the book he was .. well not exactly scared, but apprehensive and not sure of the outcome (see the scene with Denethor)
Old 05-20-2005, 07:46 PM   #35
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

Nazgul

all right
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers