Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-22-2003, 12:58 PM   #1
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Evil Elves!

Evil elves! no, not really. Tolkien made the elf king of mirkwood in the hobbit have a soft spot for gems and he was acting quite irational torwards thorin, but in lotr all elves seem to be flawless, just wondering what you guys think about it.

p.s: Hobbit is my fav!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 05:44 PM   #2
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

Elves are not flawless. Look at Feanor, and Maeglin, and Eol, and I'm sure there are others. Actually, I think all Evles have some sort of flaw, just like humans. Look at the Kinslaying. I doubt Tolkien would create a flawless race.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 12:41 AM   #3
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Originally posted by Ornel*rë Mistë
Elves are not flawless. Look at Feanor, and Maeglin, and Eol, and I'm sure there are others. Actually, I think all Evles have some sort of flaw, just like humans. Look at the Kinslaying. I doubt Tolkien would create a flawless race.
Well-said, Ornel*rë Mistë. I agree 100%.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:58 PM   #4
elixir
Elven Warrior

Well, think about where those elves lived. Mirkwood was a pretty evil and horrible place at that time. Beside, elves seem to have something against dwarves... And yes, they're not flawless either, but that's what makes them interesting

"We've got a wizard and we're not afraid to use him!"

HOBBITS NEEDED! Some dwarves as well !!!

elixir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 06:05 PM   #5
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Wasn't there a very similar thread somewhere around here? Or is that just my mind playing tricks on me. Anyway I do sort of agree. In the Hobbit, the Elf King seemed uncharacteristically greedy for an Elf. His hate for Dwarves can be understood, but why all the lust? What would he have done with it all? Or was that too part of the lure of a dragon's treasure?

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 08:54 PM   #6
hectorberlioz

Dont worry guys, just thought it an interesting subject. yeah i found another thread almost just like this, sorry.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 07-31-2003, 11:42 AM   #7
Nimrodel_White_Lady
Hobbit

I agree, the Elven King in the Hobbit was a bit greedy, but if you think about it, Tolkien devised The Hobbit even before The Silmarillion, and so it was his first chance to develop an Elven character. He probably thought it over, and then changed the Elves in his later works to be less greedy, but still, not perfect.

~Lessien Nimrodel

"A red sun rises, blood has been spilt on this night"

Arrr to the Elven Pirate... savvy?

Arrr ye be a muppet -------> =0
Nimrodel_White_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:09 PM   #8
legolialis
Hobbit

Strider

Eleves are by far the most incredible species created by tolkien but any perfect species would be boring. I think it's good that he gave the elf king flaws. with power comes the ability to be corrupted just like in humans. Not all elves are greedy but I think that being in the kings position gave him power and maybe even elves can be overthrown by power which is why elrond didn't want to tak the ring because he might have wanted to use it or keep it. Just my thoughts
legolialis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 08:07 AM   #9
RohirrimGuy
Sapling

Arwen Undomiel

Ugh, if Elves had no flaws I wouldn't read the Hobbit. That's what's good about the Hobbit is it shows everybody's flaws.

In LOTR, Elves are perfect..in most ways anyway.

"Red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night!"
-Legolas Greenleaf TTT

"If you want him, come and claim him!"
-Arwen FOTR

Jesus Freak!

Bwaha!!
RohirrimGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 08:50 PM   #10
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Yeah, I don't like to give reasons from the story why are the Mirkwood elves to evil. As a matter of fact, I don't think they're evil so much as preoccupied with all day parties. I guess they're irrisponsile more than anything.

Either way, I don't believe that Tolkien ever intended for questions like this to arise. He did wright the Hobbit before LotR, so he apparently hadn't decided yet that the elves should be perfect and sober.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:52 PM   #11
RohirrimGuy
Sapling

The Hobbit was meant to be a childrens book, and if the Elves weren;t irresponsible, then kids wouldn't relate!

"Red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night!"
-Legolas Greenleaf TTT

"If you want him, come and claim him!"
-Arwen FOTR

Jesus Freak!

Bwaha!!
RohirrimGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 04:00 PM   #12
hectorberlioz

Wow! i figured this thread had gone down long ago...
Of course no race should be perfect(least of all elves . just joking) I was realll wanting to point out to some of my 'elves are perfect' friends that elves are definitely not perfect. i showed the the hobbit and they got mad and said they did not count it as part of the lotr story.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 10-13-2003, 08:40 PM   #13
Gamigar
Elven Warrior

Strider

i don't think that the mirkwood elves acted much differently to thorin and company than the lorien elves did to gimli.
And I must follow if I can
Pursuing it with eager feet
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet
And wither then I can not say
Gamigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 01:01 AM   #14
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Certainly the elves in LOTR seem less flawed then the Hobbit or Silmarillion elves. If third age elves have a flaw it might be not so much "evil" as insularity. That is essentially how Mirkwood and Lorien elves seem to react to not just dwarves, but hobbits and humans who enter. Perhaps related to their "fading." Rivendell was more outgoing, perhaps due to being near a main road, a home for Isildur's heirs and base of the rangers, and its head being halfelven.

And a strain of "greed" in elves might be seen in all three ages, for example
1---(Feanor and kids trying to get the silmarils against all rational considerations for success,
2---Celebrimbor forging the Three Rings and other rings,
3---and Thranduil "had a great love for jewels and riches, and it may have been this love that led him to excesses, especially with the Dwarves", the complete guide to Middle-earth.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 10:01 AM   #15
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
I agree, the Elven King in the Hobbit was a bit greedy, but if you think about it, Tolkien devised The Hobbit even before The Silmarillion, and so it was his first chance to develop an Elven character. He probably thought it over, and then changed the Elves in his later works to be less greedy, but still, not perfect.
Nooperz. JRRT had already a great part of the legendarium at work, before he began working in the Hobbit. The elven king which is mentioned in the Hobbit by the narrator is King Thingol from the Tale of the Nauglafring (quarrel of dwarves and elves from ancient times), which was written well before the Hobbit.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote