Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-01-2002, 03:50 PM   #1
Quazar
Hobbit

LOTR and Harry Potter

OK,OK Don't kill me yet. Through a quirk of fate (LOTR was sold out)I saw Harry Potter and have not been able to see Rings yet. I have been a life long LOTR fan (first read them in the mid '70's) and can't wait to see the movie. However I can say I totally enjoyed Harry Potter (I have not read the books). The pacing was excellent, the actors were superb, and the CGI was fantastic. If you can get past comparing it with LOTR is well worth seeing. My wife who has read the books says it was very faithful to them.
Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 04:27 PM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Um, if you're just discussing the Harry Potter movie here, you might be interested in our existing discussion about it in the Entertainment Forum.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 08:09 PM   #3
Quazar
Hobbit

Not really just about Harry, just kind of a general statement about the differences between books and movies. Also didn't see anything specific pertaining to Harry.

Q
Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 02:50 PM   #4
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Personally i think the films hamper the books in a biig way.

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:27 PM   #5
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Re: LOTR and Harry Potter

Quote:
Originally posted by Quazar
OK,OK Don't kill me yet. Through a quirk of fate (LOTR was sold out)I saw Harry Potter and have not been able to see Rings yet. I have been a life long LOTR fan (first read them in the mid '70's) and can't wait to see the movie. However I can say I totally enjoyed Harry Potter (I have not read the books). The pacing was excellent, the actors were superb, and the CGI was fantastic. If you can get past comparing it with LOTR is well worth seeing. My wife who has read the books says it was very faithful to them.
I read the books and thought the movies were only true to the books a token amount. I mean, they followed the absolute basics of the plot, just enough to be allowed to call it "Harry Potter" but they missed a lot of the important aspects of the book. Hm. This mirrors my opinions on LotR a lot.

Either they were both lousy adaptations, or I should stop watching movies adapted from books I love. (The truth probably lies somewhere in between.)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:09 AM   #6
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I don't think the Harry Potter movies aren't that great. They are nothing compared to the book. Quazar, you really should read them. I think Dan Radcliffe, the guy who plays Harrry, can't act. Which makes the movies a lot worse. And in my opinion, the LotR movies are better than the books. But that might be because Tolkien uses big words and hard language and to many poems and songs. Don't get me wrong, I love the books. I just like the movies better.
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:27 PM   #7
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Quote:
to many poems and songs
That's a matter of opinion. I love them. (as you know, sirigorn)

Overall, I love both movies, but am disapointed about the differences from the books. However, I think Harry Potter is closer than LotR. It might just be that I'm more in love/obsessed with LotR, but I was less bothered by most of the changes in Harry Potter. Besides, J.K. Rowling did have a say in how the movie was made, J.R.R. Tolkien couldn't easily have personnaly told the screenwriters/directors what he felt should/should not be changed, considering he's been dead for more than 3 decades.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:56 PM   #8
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Oh yeah, I definatly think that the Harry Potter movies are closer to the books then the LotR movies.
-Two Towers extended DVD

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
Old 03-18-2004, 01:43 PM   #9
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Either they were both lousy adaptations, or I should stop watching movies adapted from books I love. (The truth probably lies somewhere in between.)
I have to agree with you here Nurv. In my view, both adaptations were a big dissapointment. But then, I think that they did their best. I can see how hard it would be to adapt to popular works of fiction.

The really terriable thing that jumps out at you when you watch the Harry Potter movies, is how the children can't act. I think that they are trying too hard and it doesn't make it natural. It's dissapointing especially as they're acting alongside great talent, ie. the late Richard Harris.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:59 AM   #10
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Exactly, the kids can't act. Well, some of them can. But I don't like Dan Radcliffe at all.
Richard Harris was a great Dumbledore. I hope the new guy (Michael Gambon or something?) is going to be as good.
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 03-19-2004, 02:46 PM   #11
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

He is a good actor, so I think he will be good in Azkaban. Though it may take a bit of getting used to, as we've seen the Harris-Dumbledore for the last few years. I just hope that either the child-actors improve or that when their contracts run out at either the 4th or 5th movie, they decied to give up their positions and let good actors take over.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 03-19-2004, 06:29 PM   #12
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I think they won't act in the 5th movie, so we'll have new actors in the 5th, 6th, and 7th. WhooHoo!!
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 03-20-2004, 01:13 PM   #13
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

This sort of thing generally happens with book adaptations though. When you try to make a movie out of a book there is a lot of complicated stuff to go though to make it work. And that often included cutting out alot of stuff - or adding characters where they shouldn't be (*cough*ARWEN!*cough*). I think people just have to bear in mind that there will be some changes, and that most of the time the film makers are trying their best (they better be! )

You just have to keep an open mind.

... and the Harry Potter Kids - well they just need... um... 'training'.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:48 PM   #14
Orli17
Elven Warrior

i think the HP movies were a really bad adaption of teh books...i mean seriously they could have done much better! But the LOTR movies brings more life into Tolkien's complicated books that have so many characters. Plus ROTK leaves out the prince of dol amroth and all those characters...imagine the lenght of the movie with THOSE scenes in!! lol...

But one thing that struck me was the fact that both movies/stories have an overgorwn spider in it !! Well guess its Shelob vs. Aragog then!! And both are female spiders...very interesting.....

LEGOLAS GREENLEAF

10 Things You'll Find in Legolas' Backpack - Elvensmiths & Co.

10. hairbrush
9. blower
8. powder
7. Enya’s "the Memory of Trees" CD
6. cold cream
5. mud packs
4. First Aid kit
3. shampoo and conditioner
2. his picture
1. 101 Ways to Become the Prettiest Thing in Middle Earth

that is from theonering.net 'tookish ticklers top ten things'...just citing my sources.....
Orli17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:24 PM   #15
Sono
Hobbit

I think the LotR films are better than the Harry Potter films!
I agree with sirigorn. Daniel Radcliffe can't act! I think the films are more for kids. The LotR movies are more for older people
My favourtie is Legolas Orlando Bloom is so cute! ^^

I only read the LotR books in german. There are written in a very difficuld german, so I need a long time to read.
The HP books are very easy to read.
I read the books in english and german

so, I hope you understand my

bye
Sono

I must say, its very difficuld to understand the postings at this page! At school we never learn this words! And I must know. I'm the besst student in my english class...
But I try

Wenn Sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf. Genauer gesagt, auf der schmalen Linie zwischen Wahnsinn und Panik. Gleich um die Ecke von Todesangst nicht weit von Irrwitz und Idiotie.
Sono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 06:05 PM   #16
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I understand you fine, Sono!!

And the English LotR is written very difficultly (is that even a word?) also. And once again, the HP books are not.

And Orlando is hot!!! I wanna see him in Troy!!!!!!!!

And even if Dan Radcliffe can't act, all the other main ones can. Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, they guy who plays Hagrid (I forget the name), Tom Felton, all the professorsand the Dumbledores. The have a very good cast. With the exception of the main character.
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 05-20-2004, 06:10 PM   #17
Sono
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by sirigorn
I understand you fine, Sono!!
Now I'm happy!!

I try to read LotR in english in the next time.
Perhaps I understand something ^^

I heard, Daniel got this role, becaus his father work at the filmset. A friend told me this. Is that true? I don't know.[

I must say, its very difficuld to understand the postings at this page! At school we never learn this words! And I must know. I'm the besst student in my english class...
But I try

Wenn Sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf. Genauer gesagt, auf der schmalen Linie zwischen Wahnsinn und Panik. Gleich um die Ecke von Todesangst nicht weit von Irrwitz und Idiotie.
Sono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 11:56 AM   #18
Orli17
Elven Warrior

Hi Sono!

You know(to all) i was watching LOTR the other day and then HP...and was well realizing the DRASTIC differences in the interpretations of what an elf, goblin and all look like in both worlds.
Compare the following beings from teh movies:

1)Elves : Legolas vs. Dobby
2)Goblins: goblins from Moria vs. Gringotts Goblins
3)Trolls: Cave Troll vs. Mountain Troll....both were carrying a club tho..so that's kinda stereotypic too....and both were kinda dumb...another stereotypic thought.....

4)Wizards : Gandalf vs. Dumbledore (not much difference)
Dunno....just a few comparisons....thought it was cool tho how much the elves differ....i mean Dobby is definitely not in the same league as Legolas!!!

Quote:
I heard, Daniel got this role, becaus his father work at the filmset. A friend told me this. Is that true? I don't know.[
Yes Daniel's dad Mark Radcliffe is one of the three executive producers of the HP films..just found that out last night while seeing the credits.....

LEGOLAS GREENLEAF

10 Things You'll Find in Legolas' Backpack - Elvensmiths & Co.

10. hairbrush
9. blower
8. powder
7. Enya’s "the Memory of Trees" CD
6. cold cream
5. mud packs
4. First Aid kit
3. shampoo and conditioner
2. his picture
1. 101 Ways to Become the Prettiest Thing in Middle Earth

that is from theonering.net 'tookish ticklers top ten things'...just citing my sources.....
Orli17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 09:23 PM   #19
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
I thought the goblins, with a few differences, looked alot alike. It was their manerisms that were different. But some of that was the same too. MAybe just the way people see things...

The elves though, no arguments there. Legolas was hot, Dobby was cute...in his own moronic scary way.

The wizards...acctually if you ask me they are alot different. I mean...Dumblodore, I can't see him peeling off on a horse, can you? And power wise? Gandalf would kick butt! Dumblodore's always described as being ancient but wise and able, Gandalf is too...only stronger...better it you will. You see where I'm going wiht that right?
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:11 AM   #20
Mrs Maggot
Enting

Well for starters I certainly can't see Dumbledore knocking people out with his staff. But I did think the 2 trolls looked remarkably similar, in terms of the movie interpretations at least– the HP one just looked a little bit less sinister.