Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-02-2004, 03:10 PM   #21
azalea
Long lost mooter

Hopefully because that scene was terrible. In RotJ, Jabba is huge and stationary. Then in the inserted scene in ANH, he's small and moving around. I guess he could have grown bigger, but no explanation was given, so at the time, it just looked sloppy. However, I haven't seen how they redid it, so I can't really comment on that.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:58 PM   #22
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valaru
I know this subject was touched on in the star wars DVD thread, but..

How do you feel about the changes made in the new DVD releases?
I have not seen the new DVD. I wish that Lucas gave the user the option to see the edited version of the film or the original theatrical version on the same DVD.

I probably will not get the "new" DVDs although I may rent them at some point.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 02:40 AM   #23
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by azalea
Hopefully because that scene was terrible. In RotJ, Jabba is huge and stationary. Then in the inserted scene in ANH, he's small and moving around. I guess he could have grown bigger, but no explanation was given, so at the time, it just looked sloppy. However, I haven't seen how they redid it, so I can't really comment on that.
I only saw the original releases of those parts once. From what I recall though, there was no great difference. Like you, I'm annoyed with the version of Jabba that's different from the one in Return of the Jedi. I'm annoyed at being annoyed too, for I hate being annoyed . The RotJ Jabba was a strong entity. He looked like a powerful, evil figure. The CGI looked far wimpier. In fact, in the scenes that included the CGI, he was a lot wimpier.

I really like almost all the new scenes, though. (Sighs happily)
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 08:41 AM   #24
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

With the young Anakin replacing the old one as a ghost on the DVD version, all I can say as a collector is: "I'll be buying some more VCDs (these have the old Sebastian Shaw ghost) now since their sell value will go up."

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 02:52 AM   #25
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arathorn
With the young Anakin replacing the old one as a ghost on the DVD version, all I can say as a collector is: "I'll be buying some more VCDs (these have the old Sebastian Shaw ghost) now since their sell value will go up."
Good plan.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 11-09-2004, 04:30 PM   #26
Lenya
Elentári

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arathorn

I hate it when poeple go and change things they're not suppose to
I think they should never have modified it in the first place. The movies are classics and they should not be tempered with!
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:25 PM   #27
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenya
I hate it when poeple go and change things they're not suppose to
I think they should never have modified it in the first place. The movies are classics and they should not be tempered with!
They're the ones who made the classics. I think it's well within their rights to adjust them to more fully meet George Lucas' vision. From the start George Lucas wanted them to have more Special Effects, and he was frustrated by his limitations. Many of the changes were made in order to bind the last three movies more to the prequels, which I think is also acceptable. Anyway, I just disagree with you .

Old 11-18-2004, 05:15 AM   #28
Lenya
Elentári

Very well, disagree with me. I still think the first ones are the best
(my oppinion)
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:18 AM   #29
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Do you think that Lucas will never release the Original Original trilogy on dvd (or whatever the current pop format is at the time) ever?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:40 AM   #30
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Nope.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:58 PM   #31
HOBBIT

Well that's a shame. Except for seeing part of the originals on TV, I haven't really seen the original originals.

I first saw the 1997 SE Star Wars trilogy and bought those videos.

I'm trying to get those LD rips so I can see it how everyone saw the movies when they were first released. Already got the original "A New Hope"

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 12-04-2004, 03:03 PM   #32
HOBBIT

As for the whole new Emperor-Vader scene in ESB, it is unfortuante, but it makes sense the way that Lucas wants the films to be viewed.

He wants people to see the films 1-6 not 4,5, 6 , 1, 2,3.

In Ep 3 we do see Anakin become Vader, put on the Vader suit, etc.

For those who watch it 1-6, they will have no mention of any "anakin" in ep 4. When the emperor says that "luke is the son of Anakin Skywalker," they will immediately know that Vader is Lukes father.

They still find out in the same movie, just at a different spot.

Old 12-05-2004, 01:29 AM   #33
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
In Ep 3 we do see Anakin become Vader, put on the Vader suit, etc.
And we get James Earl Jones' voice . The same voice as in the originals will be in Episode 3. That is exciting .
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
For those who watch it 1-6, they will have no mention of any "anakin" in ep 4. When the emperor says that "luke is the son of Anakin Skywalker," they will immediately know that Vader is Lukes father.

They still find out in the same movie, just at a different spot.
Yeah. It seems like it wouldn't be much of a secret though, for watchers of the originals. Leia and Luke being sister and brother, and Vader being the father will probably not be nearly so great of surprises. There will probably be lots of people guessing that, who watch it 1-6. That's a little sad, but a cost worth taking to have the whole arch of the story revealed before you . I'm going to have to consider seriously which version to present my children with. 4-6 and then 1-3, or 1-6 in the beginning? Interesting question, and I'll have to think on it.

Old 12-05-2004, 01:38 AM   #34
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Lief, I would personally start with 4-6. Then possibly go 1-6...

I am not exactly a fan of the new movies , but I believe there are few... cinematical experiences akin to what one can get out of watching the original trilogy through. One of my friends had never seen them before and somehow had not known anything about them, and watching her watch the three movies, and seeing her absolute shock at learning who Luke's father was, and her relief at finding out that the Han-Leia-Luke dynamic was not so impossible or complicated...

It's an experience I would not want to take away from anyone.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:48 AM   #35
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

How old are your children going to be before they see the films, though? Younger viewers, I believe tend to like the prequels at least as much as the originals.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:12 AM   #36
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

You're talking about showing your children movies... that's why I thought you were older! Is there something I should know, Lief...?

Maybe so. But my other argument still stands. To me, it seems that the originals are meant to be watched first.

This is, btw, a sad debate.

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-05-2004, 02:30 AM   #37
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
You're talking about showing your children movies... that's why I thought you were older! Is there something I should know, Lief...?
(Sniffs) Isn't a chap allowed to project toward the future in peace?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
Maybe so. But my other argument still stands. To me, it seems that the originals are meant to be watched first.
In today's society though, spoilers are near impossible to avoid. I know because even though my siblings and myself saw the Original Series at quite an early age, that didn't stop us from happening upon spoilers beforehand . One possible argument is that children ought to be shown the movies before they will get spoilers. Anyway, children really like the Original Series at a young age. I massively enjoyed great Star Wars games that were inspired by the Original Series as a youngster, and I still enjoy those things as an old man. So if they're going to see Star Wars at a younger age, avoiding spoilers and gaining fun times in youth, wouldn't it be easier to simply show them the prequels first?

I do think I agree with you though that a later viewer, an adult or teenager or something who has somehow managed to never see Star Wars, should probably start with the Original Series.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:39 AM   #38
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
(Sniffs) Isn't a chap allowed to project toward the future in peace?
Only if said chap does not confuse the lass who's trying to figure out how old he is.

Quote:
In today's society though, spoilers are near impossible to avoid. I know because even though my siblings and myself saw the Original Series at quite an early age, that didn't stop us from happening upon spoilers beforehand . One possible argument is that children ought to be shown the movies before they will get spoilers. Anyway, children really like the Original Series at a young age. I massively enjoyed great Star Wars games that were inspired by the Original Series as a youngster, and I still enjoy those things as an old man. So if they're going to see Star Wars at a younger age, avoiding spoilers and gaining fun times in youth, wouldn't it be easier to simply show them the prequels first?
Star Wars games! Memories!

And how old you are, you geezer.

When we first saw the trilogy, my brother and I were so young that we get half of it wrong. I thought that Alderaan was Earth, for example, and he thought that the battle in the first Death Star between stormtroopers and Our Heroes took place on top of two buildings... Weird...

Hm. Why do they need to be shown the prequels first? Unless you made a typo above, you just said that they enjoy the Original Series at a young age. Why not just show that? New movies optional afterwards.

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-05-2004, 02:44 AM   #39
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Because for someone younger, watching the whole thing in an arch would in my opinion be more enjoyable. They would be seeing all the connections, all the interworkings. In their opinions, the prequel series would be just as good as the original series. Possibly better! I know that if I liked the prequels all just as much as the originals, I would wish to have seen them in that order also. Maybe that's just me, but in my opinion, the prequels would be enjoyed as much as the originals by the younger audience, and thus seeing the whole thing in the epic arch George Lucas is seeking to make it into would be an amazing experience.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:51 AM   #40
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Well. Then it looks like we have two choices.

1) Show children all 6 in their chronological order at a young age and possibly ruin the extra appeal of the original trilogy.

2) Wait until the children are somewhat older and let them see the original trilogy, spoilers or no. Perhaps they wouldn't get the same enjoyment out of the new movies (if any at all), but hey; no big loss, at least in my mind.

Or is there a third choice I'm missing?

Neil Gaiman