Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-05-2004, 02:54 AM   #41
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Those are the choices available from my perspective. I won't claim that my perspective is correct. Perhaps I'm wrong and most young children actually love the prequels far more then the originals. There are all sorts of ways my initial assumptions might be wrong, but I don't think they are. Going from my initial assumptions, those two options are the main visible ones.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:57 AM   #42
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Mine too.

Which means... which one is better? I say the second choice, obviously. I'll wait to pass "judgement" until after the final movie comes out, but I honestly don't think that watching the new movies is all that important. After all, the original trilogy stood by itself for decades...

btw, I just decoded your sig. Hilarious, and yet so fitting!

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 03:22 AM   #43
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

who knows if the original trilogy would even hold up to future generations of kids. it looks like an old movie. it is also becoming increasingly more "nerdy" to like star wars and the like now and "not cool"

Kids probably like the PT better or the same as the OT because it has the new feel to it.......better special effects, cgi, way more intense lightsaber battles than the OT, actors/actresses they are familiar with, etc.

To the question of how to view the films and how to show them to kids- it really depends on how good ep III is. If it is amazing and does a great job of linking the trilogies, then I'd go with 1-6.

If you do opt to show 4-6 first, then you should probably show the original originals, or as close as you can get. Already with the 2004 edition you get things that change the original feeling - new emperor/vader scene, Hayden at end, Greedo shooting first, etc.

By the times you have kids another edition with further changes on the OT will most likely be out.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 03:27 AM   #44
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
who knows if the original trilogy would even hold up to future generations of kids. it looks like an old movie. it is also becoming increasingly more "nerdy" to like star wars and the like now and "not cool"
Er... hm... I guess I can't really gainsay that...

I don't know if I agree with you on the actors, HOBBIT. Quality of acting aside... well, Harrison Ford is still well enough known. I'm 18, and I neither know nor care for most of the actors in the new trilogy.

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-05-2004, 03:38 AM   #45
HOBBIT

Well, there is Natalie Portman. Samuel Jackson. Liam Nessan. Ewan McGregor. etc.

Harrisson Ford is pretty well known with our generation (im an older teen as well ), but I'm talking future generations here. Ford's movie career is more or less over. I'm hoping he'll be in Indiana Jones 4 though.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 12-05-2004, 03:48 AM   #46
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
I'm rather stunned to hear that. I'm not really convinced it's true, though. I know of very few people that don't like Star Wars. It's the abnormal thing in America to not know and love Star Wars. Star Wars is ingrained in the American culture.
Quote:
Kids probably like the PT better or the same as the OT because it has the new feel to it.......better special effects, cgi, way more intense lightsaber battles than the OT, actors/actresses they are familiar with, etc.
Referring to Ewen Mcgregor and Liam Neeson, I suppose? Remember though, the Original Series had . . . oh, it's too late at night! I don't remember his name at this hour. But anyway, it had the extremely famous and loved actor who played Obi-Wan Kenobi. The new movies also have mainly new actors in them, just as the Original Series did.
Quote:
To the question of how to view the films and how to show them to kids- it really depends on how good ep III is. If it is amazing and does a great job of linking the trilogies, then I'd go with 1-6.
I'm sure it'll be great. "Attack of the Clones" was better then "The Phantom Menace," and I expect this climax film to be better yet. It can't help but be great, anyway . It's Star Wars . We (speaking for the American public) love Star Wars .
Quote:
If you do opt to show 4-6 first, then you should probably show the original originals, or as close as you can get. Already with the 2004 edition you get things that change the original feeling - new emperor/vader scene, Hayden at end, Greedo shooting first, etc.

By the times you have kids another edition with further changes on the OT will most likely be out.
Hmm. Maybe. I don't think I'd mind that, if it did happen. The more fully they bring the Original Series up to speed on special effects, the better, in my opinion. I'm 100% in favor of the changes and the bonding of the series.

There are a few changes I didn't like. I hate to not like things, but just a few of the changes I didn't care for. Greedo shooting first, for example. Han's conversation with Jabba wasn't so great to me either, because I love the "Return of the Jedi" Jabba. That Jabba was so evil and slimy and big and revolting . And dark. The new Jabba had my younger brother laughing- the same younger brother who used to hide behind sofas when the other Jabba had his scenes show up. So that's a bit disappointing.

I don't like to dwell on what disappoints me at all, though. I just accept what I don't enjoy with as much grace as I can manage and be ecstatic about the rest . I love, love, love Star Wars. 1-6. Sure the prequels aren't perfect, but I still can embrace them as part of an awesome saga, and I still enjoy them greatly . I'm extremely glad they were made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
btw, I just decoded your sig. Hilarious, and yet so fitting!
Glad you like it . What do you mean by "fitting", though, may I ask?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 12-05-2004, 03:51 AM   #47
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Well, there is Natalie Portman. Samuel Jackson. Liam Nessan. Ewan McGregor. etc.
Natalie Portman I don't believe was at all well known before Star Wars. She'd been in a few things, but not much at all.

I did forget about Sam Jackson, though. You're right- he's big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
I'm 18, and I neither know nor care for most of the actors in the new trilogy.
No complaints here at all about the acting in the prequels . The scripts could do with a bit of touching up in a few places, but the performances were great . So I just flat out disagree . I don't care to argue the point, though, for it'd be very tough to argue when it's more a matter of personal likes and dislikes.

Old 12-05-2004, 04:02 AM   #48
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Glad you like it . What do you mean by "fitting", though, may I ask?
Too tired to debate at all... 3am... trying to function.

I mean I looked up all the words and they made sense and sort of explained who Christians believe Jesus was in an incredibly pedantic and therefore amusing way. The pedantic part not being the "fitting" part, but the "wow, hilarious" part...

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-05-2004, 04:31 AM   #49
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Okay, thanks for explaining .

Old 12-05-2004, 08:18 AM   #50
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:

Old movies have their attraction too. I don't see Star Wars loose their fan base soon. And I think that watching Star Wars today is considered a lot less nerdy then it used to be.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:17 PM   #51
HOBBIT

I have my originals on DVD now

Anyway, I went back to here the original emperor - vader talk. It is not that different from the changed one. The big diff being replacing the original actor with Ian Mcdiarmid and mentioning the name "Anakin"

I wrote down what they said:

vader- what is thy bidding, my master?
emperor- there is a great disturbance in the force
v- I have felt it
e- we have a new enemy - Luke Skywalker.
v- Yes, my master
e- He could destroy us
v- he is just a boy. Obi-wan can no longer help him
e- the force is strong with him, the son of skywalker must not be allowed to become a jedi.
v- if he could be turned, he would become a powerful ally
e- yes, yes. He would be a great asset. Can it be done?
v- He will join us or die, my master.

notice how emperor does say "Son of Skywalker" - so someone viewing 1-6 would still get it right away. And the whole Vader wanting to save his life makes sense.

The new version is actually not much changed. Biggest difference being Ian Mcdiarmid (guy who played emperor palpatine Return of Jedi and prequels) and diff hologram.

new version

v- what is thy bidding, my master?
e- there is a great disturbance in the force
v- I have felt it
e- We have a new enemy, the young rebel who destroyed the death star. I have no doubt that this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker.
v- How is that possible?
e- search your feelings, lord vader, you will know it to be true.
He could destroy us.
v- He is just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.
e- the force is strong in him. The son of skywalker must not be allowed to become a jedi.
v- if he could be turned, he would become a powerful ally
e- yes, yes. He would be a great asset Can it be done?
v- He will join us or die, my master.

Basically, they just inserted a couple lines. Doesn't even look like they took out anything.

So I don't know why we, myself included have made such a big deal about this scene :P Now this actually makes sense to me. Although, they really didn't ened those extra lines.

Old 01-23-2005, 08:45 PM   #52
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

The one thing i can remember very clearly is that horrible singing scean in Jabba's Palace! OMG when I saw that I was like WTF!!! Nearly turned the DvD off it was so dissapointing. Overall the additions are okay with an exception of a few absolutly horrible things... like the one mentioned above!

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:30 AM   #53
Lenya
Elentári

Poeple often go one step to far if they go back to change something. Like in LotR PJ went back and shot the scene where Sam is doing his overdramatic speech to Frodo in Osgilliath. He should have left that out.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:54 AM   #54
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
So I don't know why we, myself included have made such a big deal about this scene :P Now this actually makes sense to me. Although, they really didn't ened those extra lines.
And now, with Episode 3 released, we know why they needed those extra lines . I just finished seeing "The Empire Strikes Back" again today, the Special Edition, and I got a greater appreciation for it this viewing then before. It really, really is good.

The Special Edition additions to the Falcon chase and Cloud City also were nice. Of course all the additions were, but I just particularly was pleased at those ones this viewing.