Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Life of J.R.R. Tolkien and his Other Works
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-25-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
ecthelion
Enting

Water and Tolkien

It seems to me that JRR shows a fascination with water, that is more surprising with englishmen. I come from a less water-blessed country, and we usually are more sensitive to water issues, and more inclined to be awed by large lakes, rivers, rain or snow.
In JRR's works water has a unique power (There was a thread that talked about the power of water over evil: www.entmoot.com/showthread.php?t=4687&page=1&pp=20&highlight=water )
and much talk of water besides (like treebeard standing in the rain, and like eru showing ulmo the victory of good over evil in water).
Can anyone explain this fascination with water? Does anybody else find it surprising?

What does "LOL" mean?
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I don't find it that surprising actually - Britain is an island, after all, and water is all around us, so I don't think it's unusual for British people to have a fascination with it. It also rains a lot here
Some literary analogues for Tolkien's interest spring to mind:
- the common association of water with magic in medieval literature (deriving, I think, from Celtic mythology). Encounters with fairies frequently take place by rivers or lakes.
- the mysterious potential of what may lie beyond the horizon over the sea, e.g. the opening of Beowulf, where Scyld Scefing both appears from the sea as a child and is launched out to sea in a ship after his death. This must have been particularly powerful before it turned out there was only America over there
- it's interesting to compare Narnia's "Emperor over the sea" (presumably God) and the fact that Aslan's country is reached by sailing to the end of the sea...
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #3
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I know water is a powerful symbol in many cultures and religions. In the minds of many belief systems it's considered one of the purest substances. Certainly in more shamanistic societies water is almost always revered. That plus the very real fact that water sustains life makes it a very powerful symbol for goodness.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
ecthelion
Enting

I still think JRR is unique in his regrd for water, especially by giving it a power for good: like the cleaning of isengard, and by all that regards ents. also the ringwraiths afraid to cross rivers, and complete lack of water in mordor. it is different from other mithology where water is associated in general with fairies, good bad and neutral. Tolkien only has good water...
Also usually in literature rain is associated with a blue mood. With Tolkien rain is always pleasant (of what I remember).
Water has a bad context when associated with frost (snow on caradharas) or heat (steams of isengard).

As for CS lewis and Tolkien, they had alota influence over each other (of course mostly CSL copied from JRR, this is probably one of these cases )

What does "LOL" mean?
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
Anglorfin
Alasailon

In Christianity water was a definite symbolic element used for cleansing. People are baptized in water, and given the desert origin of most major world religions it's not surprising to see that this concept is widely shared. It's not too far a stretch for Tolkien to take his own personal beliefs and somehow (whether consciously or not) transmit them into his mythology for Middle Earth.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote