Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-17-2002, 06:31 PM   #1
Sween
im quite stupid

Why dont Americans like Football (soccer)?

This is one of the things that has allways perplexed me. Why has the sport never really taken when it has in every other corner of the world.

I mean i love my footie (thank the lord the season started today i was running out of convo with mates)but america do you not like it or do you simple not get it?

Ive seen some of your coverage of it and the comontators dont have a clue what they are on about they try to make out theres a plan it it all when in footie you kinda make it up as you go along. All your major sports are pretty high scoreing is that it? They all have very set plays and organisation and control are a big part.I played for my town and county at basketball i know its a techincally very complex sport.

Do you not like been the best none of your major sports do you have any real national level competetion (apart from maybe Hocky) you like to compete against each other as a a nation a lot dont you? It seems you also seem to compete more on a large area level theres 92 teams in the premership and nationwide leagues whilst theres only 20 or so in the NBA and that it for the country.

Any thoughs by americans and non americans would be nice.
Old 08-17-2002, 06:40 PM   #2
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Well, I like soccer, I play it myself. And lots of other people like it too - we have AYSO (American Youth Soccer Organization) leagues all over the country, many schools have teams, and we have national means and womens leauges. It's just now that we are beginning to become good at the sport on the top level and get recognized for it. I don't know all the reasons why it hasn't caught fire and made us a soccer nation, and I don't know that it ever will, but rest assured - there are soccer nuts on this side of the Atlantic.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 06:44 PM   #3
Sween
im quite stupid

yeah but it seems to be seen as a girls sport over there. American footballs more a girls sport than footie all that padding ha ha ha makes me laugh. Rugby thats a mans game
Old 08-17-2002, 08:51 PM   #4
Lady Legolas
Sapling

Quote:
yeah but it seems to be like a girls sport over there.
Not really, lots of guys play football(soccer) over here. My friend (who is a guy) is very skilled in the sport. And I really like watching his games.

Quote:
Rugby thats a mans game.
I'm a girl and I play rugby!

¤Lady Legolas¤
Old 08-17-2002, 08:59 PM   #5
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Actually where I live soccer is considered more of a boys sport. When the guys play it's very aggressive. And they're really good! I love watching boy's soccer.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 09:03 PM   #6
Faramir
Elven Warrior

It just hasn't had very much publicity in the US. Some people here really like it though. I here it's becoming a rising popularity.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 09:06 PM   #7
BeardofPants
the Shrike

It's probably a good thing the US hasn't caught on... they'd cream us!

NZ isn't really hot on soccor either. I mean, the first time I got into it was this World Cup that just went by. Prior to that, it just wasn't a thing I watched. Besides, we're far too obsessed with Rugby.
Old 08-17-2002, 10:19 PM   #8
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Well, personally I think Soccer is more entertaining than Football (football in America isn't soccer of course).
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 10:22 PM   #9
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I believe that football hasn't caught on in America because they mostly prefer slow-paced sports such as baseball, boxing, golf and American football.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 11:17 PM   #10
LegolasSoulMate
Sapling

In America, Football isn't soccer, its two differenty types of sports, but you don't really have to know that. A lot of Americans likes soccer (I do too), but others are either obsessed or used to football.
LegolasSoulMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 12:01 AM   #11
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Soccer is huge where I live.
Old 08-18-2002, 05:37 AM   #12
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Soccer is huge in New Jersey too. It's been out here since at least the 1970's. All schools here have soccer teams. The park less than a mile from my house has a community soccer field. Plus there are 2 other parks with more soccer fields. All the high schools have soccer teams and most elementary schools and junior highs too.

I have no idea where you got the idea that America hates soccer.

Maybe we should turn it around and say why do you hate our football? We play soccer AND rugby more than you seem to play our football. Although it was on the news within the last year that England is trying to get some football teams together.

Here is info on the Cosmos - I guess they're trying to revive the team and the professional league again. The most famous years they played in NJ and were always considered a New Jersey team when they played in Giants stadium. Back in the 80's "The one (stadium) that is remembered the most was Giant's Stadium and for many key games the Cosmos managed to pack the entire stadium."

Currently New Jersey has the professional team - MetroStars. They play at Giant Stadium - but they may be getting their own stadium soon. The MetroStars' website says the follwing about Giants stadium and their hopefully new home in Harrison NJ -
Quote:
There is perhaps no venue in North America that has played host to as many world-class soccer games as Giants Stadium. Since the spring of 1997, when the field was graced by the likes of Pele, Franz Beckenbauer and the Cosmos, Giants Stadium has gained recognition around the world as one of soccer's greatest showplaces. From the 525,000 fans who filled the seats for the 1994 World Cup, to the 80,000 that witnessed the Parmalat Cup in 1995, metropolitan-area fans have proven time and again that soccer has a past and present at Giants Stadium. The future holds opportunities for a new home thanks to the dedication of our fans.

As you know we have been putting forth a massive effort to build our very own stadium in Harrison New Jersey (see website for description and location details). There has been great progress made over the last two years and we are now heading around the final turn toward our finish line of completing the final phases of funding. We have quietly worked behind the scenes with legislators that understand the economic importance of the Harrison Waterfront Redevelopment but there are still elected officials that need to hear from the soccer community.

Our project is bi-partisan and unlike other sports development projects is about true economic redevelopment. It will turn 200 acres of blighted Harrison land into a thriving economic machine for the taxpayers of New Jersey. It will provide a home to the MetroStars in a location more accessible than Giants Stadium and nestled between two soccer crazy communities (Ironbound Newark and Harrison/Kearny).
We also have Soccer America Magazine.

By the way - my favorite sports are all fast sports - Lacrosse, Soccer and Hockey (which New Jersey has a professional team in all those sports). I don't know why I don't like football since it is a strategy game - but I never got into it. But I'm not really full blown into any sports. But I did like playing hockey and soccer growing up.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-18-2002 at 05:57 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 06:22 AM   #13
Sween
im quite stupid

The reason american football has not caught on is we dont have it taught in school at all. Not part of the national criculum. We dont like stop start games either. American football has far to many complexities and stopping you have 2 teams dont you? they did try to get a bit of a leauge going but it never really worked out.

reson i think that Soccer aint caugght on is the media here says it has not. How do you rate it against your more traditional sports?
Old 08-18-2002, 06:29 AM   #14
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
reson i think that Soccer aint caugght on is the media here says it has not. How do you rate it against your more traditional sports?
Your media isn't telling you the whole truth then. I like soccer better than football or baseball. I used to play baseball - but sucked at it. I liked soccer because it was fast and I'm fast runner. Never liked football - for one of the reasons that has been mentioned - it's too slow. But NOT as slow as your guys' cricket.

Football without a doubt is the most popular. In the midwest Basketball is. Baseball - if they strike this year - might as well hang it up (the fans are tired of it).

NJ has two football teams - the Giants and Jets - who both should go back across the river to NY where they would obviously rather be. Within the last couple of years they both ended up putting NY back on their uniforms even though they play in NJ and are NJ teams. Giants was especially a slap in the face - since the times they won the Super Bowl at Giants Stadium - NY refused to give them a parade because they said they were a NJ team.

BTW - New Jersey is currenly attempting to host the World Cup again.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-18-2002 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:36 AM   #15
Sween
im quite stupid

Im a real slow runner im more a stamnia person but im a very adept centerback. I would love to have pace such an asset in soccer (hate calling it soccer its football).

Crickets an odd one indeed it is slow but isnt baseball slow? ! dayers are ok but tests can be dull. But me and my mates like cricket. we have a lovely ground here in cockermouth and theres nothing like on a hot summers day playing a bit of cricket getting a bit of a tan having a bit of a chat and drinking a few beers. You just cannot be bothered putting too much effort into soccer in the summer.

Its a very civilised sport.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:48 AM   #16
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
I would love to have pace such an asset in soccer (hate calling it soccer its football).
You're just going to have to get over it - here it's called soccer.

Quote:

Crickets an odd one indeed it is slow but isnt baseball slow?
It's not anywhere near as long as cricket. Baseball is usually only about a couple of hours. But of course that depends.

Quote:

Its a very civilised sport.
Which one is civilised - soccer or cricket? The world knows that the English soccer fans aren't civilised. Aren't you guys banned in several European coutries now?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-18-2002 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:54 AM   #17
Sween
im quite stupid

Crickets civilised. Holganism will allways be there im affraid for the lower intelegence people in this country they do like a fight. And i think english are very much have a go people. We are carm and collected but we are more than happy to roll up our sleves and get our hands dirty occasionally.

The hardcore allways start it but its a national flaw/strenght if we see trouble we will stick together.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:07 PM   #18
aldesign
Elven Warrior

Im with Sween all the way, as a fellow FOOTBALL fan,
ive played since i was soo little,
then played Sunday leauge from under12's to under17's a good 5 seasons.
Im a big supported of my home club Brighton&HoveAlbion, who have won concecutive titles from Div3, to Div2, up to Div1,
and i work at the stadium part time, so i get to see the games for free.

Its the worlds biggest sport, and peace bringer. It Units nations, races, beleifs and religions.

andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 02:17 PM   #19
Brokehorn4000
Elven Warrior

I do not like American football. Is there a reason why it's called "football" when it almost ( note: I said almost ) has nothing to do with your feet? I know running is involved!
But where did the name "soccer" come from?

There are plenty of people who love soccer in the U.S. And I think that it's a sport for both genders. And I don't mind if there is or isn't a league here, I can't stand to watch it, because I'd rather play it instead! And no offense to those of you who think Soccer (or football) needs to become a bigger sport in the U.S.

Except we have to admit, Soccer is more popular in many other countries around the world.

Last edited by Brokehorn4000 : 08-18-2002 at 02:19 PM.
Brokehorn4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 06:07 PM   #20
BeardofPants
the Shrike

We call it soccor over here as well. Rugby before it got union-ised used to be called football, so...