Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-02-2003, 04:55 PM   #1
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
I only have one person who will talk about LOTR with me at school and everyone else who over hears (dropping eaves(sp?)) acts like we're total idiots it drives me insane! But there you have it I don't think society will ever except us or get used to our very existence(sp?). So I say screw the world I'm goin to the undying lands I hope to see you there.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 10:14 PM   #2
elfgonewrong234
Sapling

orlando bloom

orlando is hot but he has a girlfriend an obsessed friend told me it sucks for those who love him
elfgonewrong234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 02:35 AM   #3
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I almost have the same problem as Fimbrethil. There's only one person i can talk to about LoTR the book. And she hasn't even read it.

Also, i say it EE-Oh-Wen. Some site (can't remember which-so many Tolkien sites) said that the dipthong 'eo' is meant to be pronounced sort of like 'ear'. So that's how i say it.

What's more frustrating? Friends that get the name wrong, or can't even remember the characters. I say the latter. I mean, how can you forget the man who got shot with arrows several times, then died?

Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 06:35 AM   #4
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I also have no person to talk about the book, but some people to talk about the movie. But they are not that obsessed like me and they have not read the book. It would be different to discuss the movie with somebody who has read the book and loved it (like me).
All my friends think that I'm a freak.
But if that is what a freak ist, then I'm glad to be a freak.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:45 AM   #5
aragorn_is_mine
Sapling

Strider

I am totally obsessed with all three movies and books and i get real angry when me mates say
1. Aragorn = the stubbly person, with the bows (swords???)
2. Legolas = the really clean human who never has to wash (elf?)
3. Gimli = that small one with the hairy feet and curly hair (i am not even commenting on this one)
4. Boromir = that Rohan person...hes an elf isnt he? (no...just..no)
5. Eowyn = the one who loves the stubble man, she was an elf like that other one...i think she was an elf too (Eowyn wasnt an elf )
Old 03-09-2003, 11:55 AM   #6
straight_face
Enting

^^*^^ (rising sun)

To my family and aquaintances...
Frodo: "Frog-o", "bug-eyed Chihuahua"
Aragorn: "Grungy redneck"
Legolas: "Pretty-faced Elf", "Lego-lus"
Gandalf: "The old guy who died"
Elrond: "The familiar guy"
Eowyn: "Ee-oh-wyn" (and that goes along with "Ee-oh-mer", "Thee-oh-den", and "Ee-oh-mund")
Gimli: "Hagrid"
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 02:19 PM   #7
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

When we were watching The Matrix ... I was asking afterwards
Have you seen Agent Elrond?

- Sounds like a sausage.
- Yeah, can I have a piece of Elrond, please.

- Who is Elrond?

Annoyed I'm telling them that Elrond is an elf of LotR.

- No, you are lying. Don't tell us such stupid things.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:54 PM   #8
straight_face
Enting

^^*^^

Actually, if you can believe this, I had never previously seen the Matrix but, boy that guy was familiar for some odd reason. I don't think to this day I have figured out why...
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'
Old 03-09-2003, 04:16 PM   #9
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

Quote:
Originally posted by aragorn_is_mine
I am totally obsessed with all three movies and books and i get real angry when me mates say
1. Aragorn = the stubbly person, with the bows (swords???)
2. Legolas = the really clean human who never has to wash (elf?)
3. Gimli = that small one with the hairy feet and curly hair (i am not even commenting on this one)
4. Boromir = that Rohan person...hes an elf isnt he? (no...just..no)
5. Eowyn = the one who loves the stubble man, she was an elf like that other one...i think she was an elf too (Eowyn wasnt an elf )
At least your friends even bother watching the films. My mates only know Elijah .
(as "The ugly guy with big eyes" AKA "Alyah" ??????????)
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:20 PM   #10
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Frodo: "Frog-o", "bug-eyed Chihuahua"
LOL!

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 01:13 AM   #11
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
Wlcome to the moot elfgonewrong2341

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 12:16 AM   #12
TopazJedi
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I have to point out that Sam and Frodo care fo each other genuinly, Sam would die for Frodo and Frodo would do anything for Sam...they're protective of each other as best friends are supposed to be, and that might include giving a kiss to the brow or holding their hand when they're scared. As for Sean and Elijah...they're doing what PJ hired them to do...portray Sam and Frodo as best friends...which is what they've done, and rather well too...those looks are just part of the acting. Actors rely on each other's facial expressions and voice tones...it's a very emotion oriented kinda thing.
Totally agree. besides, the reason why Sam held Frodo's hand in the book was because he was wondering whether it was still cold b/c after Frodo had gotten stabbed, his whole arm went cold. there was nothing significant about Sam doing that, any more than when someone feels your forehead after you've been sick to see if your fever has gone down.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:34 PM   #13
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

my friend calls legolas, legos
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 02:34 PM   #14
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

I AM CANADIAN

Old 03-16-2003, 02:34 PM   #15
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

edit:sorry about that i accidenlty hit submit twice
I AM CANADIAN

Old 03-16-2003, 05:14 PM   #16
straight_face
Enting

Lord of Mordor

Very recently I have heard three different versions of Sauron. Now, most people who have read the pronunciation key in the appendixes of LotR, already are aware that Sauron is pronounced "Sour-on". Other pronunciations I have heard vary from "Sarr-on" (very common), "Soar-on" (not the most very common), and, my favorite, "Share-on" (coming from one of my friends, but he's only seen the first movie). What next???

Old 03-17-2003, 09:17 PM   #17
Gamigar
Elven Warrior

Gandalf

i know a guy who calls Legolas, Loluhgis. the same guy calls the two towers just "towers" because hes lazy.
here are some more:
Aragorn:Aragon
Legolas:That guy with the arrows.
Frodo:FrOdo as in lotto
Gollum:That creepy blue "my precious" thing.
Theoden:Theodor
And finally, Arwen:A...A...Eowernen....yah know the lady who Strider was makin out with. AND THAT WAS A GUY WHO READ ALL THE BOOKS.
Gamigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:16 AM   #18
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Shriek. all that story really make me doubt the intelligence of some people. sorry.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:02 AM   #19
Pimpernel
Enting

i have like 6 friends who realla like LotR, but deffily not as much as me...its sooooo annoying cuz i can only talk to like 1 of em about the books cuz she's the only one who finished em and is willing to talk to me about em.
i think it was the 3rd time i went to see TTT that these guys were behind me and mah friend and all throughout the 'boring parts' they would talk incessantly about 'that blonde guy jumping onto the horse' , 'those monster things on the animals' , or 'that guy with the sword who was killing all the orcs' and even 'the little short thing that had a low voice and was really funny.' i was soooo mad!!!!
and some of mah 'non-lotr' friends are so annoying:
gollum- ewww, that freaky little thing!!!
gandalf- the big wizard dude
boromir- oh i hate him, he's so mean (and another boromir thing. on his death day, i brought in my copy of TTT to read during lunch/discuss his death etc. but even mah lotr friends told me 'oh, i hated him anyway' or 'i dont wanna waste mah lunch period for him!' i was really disapointed.
just kidding, I only wish I was Eru...power is good..except I would get corrupted so know...and why am I writing all of this randomness that's popping into my head that you don't give a rat's tail about.....??
Pimpernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 01:29 AM   #20
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
People pronouce Aragorn Aragon!!!!LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!I dont think he even knew about the English Reformation!!!!!

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote