Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Of course. As would anyone who has tried the stuff.

~The Lay of Leithian
Curufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*joins the happy group of Heretics* yeh...I skimmed, saw just how self important and centered on a character's breeding it was that I decided not to go back. I may have liked one or two pages that I may go back and look at, if I had the books.

I dunno, the greats of the Sil struck me as such outrageous nitwits that I wouldn't put in comand of a scooter, never mind some might nation. It was just tooo unreal for me, but hey, its fun to watch you guys that enjoy it work yourselves up into a tizzy.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

If you like Tolkien's world but don't enjoy reading the Silmarillion, I highly recommend listening to the audio book. I don't find the book something I enjoy reading cover to cover like a novel; I tend to pick and choose chapters and stories. But the audio book is wonderful. Ok, Martin Shaw's pronunciations aren't always correct or consistent but hey, he's human and some of those Elvish names are complicated. His voice, however, is great for the story and he gives it a tone that moves the listener.

For a guy who commutes an hour each way to work, the Silm on my iPod is priceless.

Get it. Hear it. Love it.

As for the heroes being morons, I think that's only if you consider the morons to be the heroes. There were plenty of good guys who didn't do anything stupid. Tuor, Earendil, Gil-galad, were all on the up and up. Fingolfin and Fingon were nearly perfect (IMO). Hurin and Huor were awesome. Yeah, there were jerks but there were also some wonderful characters.

Not only that, but the variety of characters gives it a depth and realism.

Best of all, most novels have A protagonist. The Silmarillion has so many deep characters that each reader can actually pick his or her own. To me, the house of Finfgolfin and the men who joined them are the protagonists but to someone else it is the house of Feanor who are the main guys.

Great story, but I sympathize with people who say it's a bit of a crappy read. So I reiterate: Listen To It!
Old 04-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I know you don't know me, DPR, but I'm a professional Shakespearean actress and director, among my other skills. I've been doing that, for pay, since 1969.

I'm more than competent to evaluate text, even obscure text, without an audio book.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May

Last edited by sisterandcousinandaunt : 04-12-2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Corrected at least one of many spelling errors. :D
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
I know you don't know me, DPR, but I'm a professional Shakepearean actress and director, among my other skills. I've been doing that, for pay, since 1969.

I'm more than competent to evaluate text, even obscure text, without an audio book.
Sorry for my post. I suppose I'm just too dumb to realize that audio books are only for people as dumb as me. I'd tell you what I do for a living but don't want to look like an Internet show-off.

Last edited by The Dread Pirate Roberts : 04-12-2008 at 10:40 PM.
The Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Sorry for my post. I suppose I'm just too dumb to realize that audio books are only for people as dumb as me. I'd tell you what I do for a living but don't want to look like an Internet show-off.
I gotcha. I appreciate your restraint, too. Heaven forfend I misread your being condescending as... well, being condescending. Surely MORE exposure to poorly written prose would cause me to love it properly.

Curufin, I'll be going, now. I think we've seen enough of why my being up here was a bad idea.

Sorry, all.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt View Post
I gotcha. I appreciate your restraint, too. Heaven forfend I misread your being condescending as... well, being condescending. Surely MORE exposure to poorly written prose would cause me to love it properly.

Who is being condescending?
Old 04-12-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

>> If you like Tolkien's world but don't enjoy reading the Silmarillion, I highly recommend listening to the audio book. ... Great story, but I sympathize with people who say it's a bit of a crappy read. So I reiterate: Listen To It!

Thanks for the audiobook suggestion, DPR. As I understand you, you're not saying everyone MUST listen to the Sil audio book but IF you're someone who didn't enjoy reading the Sil but otherwise enjoy Tolkien, it might come come to life for you out loud. in fact, as someone who actually read the Hobbit and LOTR, including appendices, out loud from beginning to end (for my daughter when she was younger), though I always thoroughly enjoy reading the books, I really did experience them differently audibly.

Though I admit I'm just an environmental enforcement attorney in real life.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Jon, I have read The Hobbit aloud with my daughter and it's great. I love the spoken word. Right now she and I are reading Prince Caspian together in anticipation of the upcoming movie. I haven't decided when to break into LotR with her. She isn't old enough for it yet, plus has a stack in the "to read" list we have to get through first.

Reading aloud with her is one of the great pleasures in my life. Audible books really present material in a different way and they are processed in the mind a different way. Well worth getting the audio version of any book you really love, IMO. But what do I know?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Glad to hear I'm not alone in this. Of course, someone is sure to point out my hypocrisy in hating Túrin and loving Fëanor (again) - but bah on them.

And to get back on topic, that picture looks nothing like how I imagine Fëanor.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
Glad to hear I'm not alone in this. Of course, someone is sure to point out my hypocrisy in hating Túrin and loving Fëanor (again) - but bah on them.
What hypocrisy can there be in LOVE? Love is an irrational feeling.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #12
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
And to get back on topic, that picture looks nothing like how I imagine Fëanor.
Me neither - in fact my first thought was that the picture is just quite creepy. I wouldn't have thought it was meant to be Fëanor at all.

Aikanáro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Fëanor has short hair, for one thing.

Don't get me started on this.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #14
katya
Elven Maiden

I didn't think it looked much like him either. Though I must say, this one http://www.celebritycowboy.com/wp-co...7/11/fabio.jpg definitely does.

Fëanor has short hair? Where'd you read that? I like it.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:00 PM   #15
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

I didn't read it anywhere, it's just my logical deduction.

See, Fëanor, above all else, is of course a craftsman. He spends hours and hours in his smithy, making things (like gems and the Silmarils). Smithies have fire. Fire and long hair are not friends.

My brother is a firefighter with the US Forest Service. They are strongly suggested not to have long hair, because if you do, the tiniest little spark can light you up like a torch.

There are lots, and lots, and lots of sparks in a smithy.

Therefore, my logical deduction:

There are fire and sparks in a smithy.
Long hair catches fire more easily than short hair.
Fëanor is one of the most intelligent of the Eldar.

Therefore:

Fëanor would not have long hair.

BTW, I think Curufin would have short hair for the same reason.

Edit: And the picture that looks most like the Fëanor of my mental image is here: http://www.goldseven.de/img/tolkien/...seoffeanor.jpg

He's the one in the back looking annoyed at being interrupted. Notice also how he even has his sleeves cross-gartered so they won't get in the flame/sparks.

~The Lay of Leithian

Last edited by Curufin : 04-13-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:05 PM   #16
katya
Elven Maiden

Works for me! I like the short hair look for him anyway. That's a nice picture too. Looks like Fëanor to me. I'm sure I've seen the artist before...
Old 04-13-2008, 04:07 PM   #17
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

It's Jenny Dolfen - she's my favorite Tolkien artist, and she does some good Harry Potter stuff as well. Her link is in my signature - she drew my avatar pic, too.

(BTW, Curu is the one standing back and looking evil - the dark haired one. That's Celegorm, the blonde, being all flashy with his sword. )

Here's the big version of my avatar pic:

http://www.goldseven.de/img/tolkien/...n_celecuru.jpg

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #18
katya
Elven Maiden

That is a nice pic too. I like her interpretations. In the gallery on the site I found a picture I had indeed seen before- Fingon rescuing Maedhros- one of my favorite scenes.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #19
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

This summer (when I have a job) I'm going to buy all of her prints and use them to decorate my room. Her drawing with Fingolfin coming over the mountains at the rising of the sun is my desktop design on my laptop.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #20
katya
Elven Maiden

Nice! I used to use this one http://www.geocities.com/pictolkien/SILx24x2.jpg for my wallpaper a lot, not because I have a thing for Eärendil or anything, but because I can taste the sea in it.