Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Hirulin
Hobbit

Thanks Katya! Your an ellen! (star, I think!lol)

Used Flickr in the end! so here goes!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/...06ee568a_b.jpg

Hirulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Hirulin
Hobbit

SUCCESS!!!! Yippee

Old 06-16-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Hirulin
Hobbit

I've also done - http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4014/...6bdfeaa9_b.jpg

It's a poem I found online that I really liked! It reads-

I Gúron.

I gúron cên velethronen
Ias palan-revia pen râd
Ai, ithil veren cenithach
Estel 'uren vi estolad.

Thîr dÃ*n cenithach, thîr dÃ*n vell
I anÃ*ron cened trî chin
Limp a nÃ*niel ah rÃ*w garan,
Dân bannen ah calad sui lÃ*n.

Ten anno hiniath o nin.
Pedo gûr hen dartha thenin
A mibo thîr dÃ*n ah mipheleg
A tiro din, seron vell nÃ*n.

~~~~~~~~
Which means
~~~~~~~~

The Crescent Moon

The crescent moon sees my lover
Where he wanders far, pathless.
Ah, joyous moon, you will see
My heart's hope in an encampment.

His face you shall see, his dear face
That I desire to see through eyes
Wet and tearful with red borders,
But filled with a light like yours.

Give him news of me.
Say this heart stays true
And kiss his face with a little kiss
And watch over him, my dear lover.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Hirulin
Hobbit

Although I'm not too sure on the translation! It was written by some-one claiming to be "Luthien", english and sindarin, but I'm not sure how accuratly it's been translated, either way, it still looks and sounds good!

Old 06-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Here is part 1 of the wonderful thread we had on writing in Tengwar (English mode, so you don't have to learn a language and can start writing all you want to immediately!!). And here is part two of the thread, which I will also bump for you

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 06-17-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:53 AM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I just realised this was in General Messages, so moving this thread to the Middle-earth forum, and merging it in the other, active thread.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:41 AM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*bumps thread*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 06-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
Hirulin
Hobbit

Any-one wanna tengwar pen-pal? (I know it's kinda sad, but what the hell! lol!)

Sindarin mode, english words!

NdC

Old 11-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Rían

*bump*

Old 05-03-2015, 01:51 AM   #10
Rían

I've started writing in Tengwar again, so I thought I'd bump this thread

It's been a few years since I've written in Tengwar (I write in the English language with the Tengwar character set) and I thought it would take a while to get back up to speed, but I was very surprised (and pleased) at how fast it came back.

Anyone else around here writing in Tengwar?

Old 05-03-2015, 02:15 AM   #11
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Yes. I use Tengwar Annatar and Tengwar Parmaite (here or here) for computer.

Galin is rather expert on Tengwar and Sindarin.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:04 PM   #12
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I took a religion class in college where most of the syllabus was made up of works by Tolkien (yes, it was an awesome class ) For extra credit, we could enter a Tolkien art contest. Only problem is, I don't have an artistic bone in my body. So I took a poem about the stars that I'd written in Quenya, and copied it in Tengwar onto some black paper with a silver pen. I ended up being called to the front of the class to read the poem in elvish, along with the translation. Everyone clapped and I got the "people's choice award" for my submission! First time I'd ever entered an art contest, much less won anything! And I didn't even have to do anything that involved actual skill

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #13
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkienfan View Post
I took a religion class in college where most of the syllabus was made up of works by Tolkien (yes, it was an awesome class ) For extra credit, we could enter a Tolkien art contest. Only problem is, I don't have an artistic bone in my body. So I took a poem about the stars that I'd written in Quenya, and copied it in Tengwar onto some black paper with a silver pen. I ended up being called to the front of the class to read the poem in elvish, along with the translation. Everyone clapped and I got the "people's choice award" for my submission! First time I'd ever entered an art contest, much less won anything! And I didn't even have to do anything that involved actual skill
no actual skill? and you wrote a poem in Quenya and wrote it down using the Tengwar letters? Sounds like skill to me Can you post it here?

Old 05-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #14
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
no actual skill? and you wrote a poem in Quenya and wrote it down using the Tengwar letters? Sounds like skill to me Can you post it here?
Haha I guess I meant artistic skill Can I post it? I tried to upload a picture as an attachment but got the message "upload failed". Nerdanel always has such nice pictures so it must be possible... I'd be happy to post if someone can give me some assistance!

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #15
Galin
Elven Warrior

Thanks for the confidence Alcuin! But that said, I am far from an expert on the languages or the writing systems... that adjective belongs to folks like those who publish Vinyar Tengwar, for example. What I do is:

A) if I have time (and feel inclined to)... I try to answer the easier questions or requests (especially if short)

And importantly...

B) I try to find Tolkien made examples to back up something I say...

... although this can be a bit tricky for me in the field of linguistics since "one does not know what one does not know".

Last edited by Galin : 05-05-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #16
Earniel

Still pretty much a angerthas girl, the vowel-thing in Tengwar keeps tripping me up. I appreciate its beauty but not its practicality.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #17
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Still pretty much a angerthas girl, the vowel-thing in Tengwar keeps tripping me up. I appreciate its beauty but not its practicality.
Oh, I love the vowel marks!! For me, it's fun because it's so different from English writing.

Samples please?

Samples from everyone, please! so fun to see! I guess I need to dust off my photo bucket account; is that the best way, guys?

Old 05-06-2015, 04:59 AM   #18
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Oh, I love the vowel marks!! For me, it's fun because it's so different from English writing.
Fun but complicated. It isn't always evident when something is in Quenya mode or Sindarin mode and that makes for very slow reading. Especially if it's in another language too. (Not that I'm anywhere near speed-reading in angerthas, mind.)

Usually I just resort to carrier signs at the right spot of a vowel in our script, but somehow that doesn't feel like how Tolkien intended it...

Quote:
Samples from everyone, please! so fun to see! I guess I need to dust off my photo bucket account; is that the best way, guys?
Lead by example?
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #19
Galin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Hmm, maybe the Mode of Beleriand, attested for writing in Sindarin, is for you?

Quote:
This "antique S[indarin] mode" [DTS 58] is a mode of quanta sarme ("full writing"), meaning that both consonants and vowels are written with tengwar. In this it followed the quanta sarme which Feanor created "for the Loremasters" to represent Quenya. It is said that for languages such as Sindarin, "the diacritic method of indicating vowels was inconvenient"

Source, see below
Although there are still some uses for diacritics if I recall correctly, generally speaking there should be far less tripping. There is also (seemingly) a "general mode" which allows more freedom when using the diacritical marks.

Quote:
"Vowels are in the General Use primarily represented by ómatehtar, vowel-marks. As demonstrated in DTS 58 [Tolkien's "Howlett Rivendell Inscriptions"], vowel-marks may in this mode be placed either above the following or the preceding consonant tengwa."
http://at.mansbjorkman.net/teng_general.htm

I assume as long as you are consistent within a given text, anyway.

Last edited by Galin : 05-06-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #20
Rían

me too, I just don't know how ... do you use photo bucket, people-that-know-how?