Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-19-2002, 08:01 AM   #1
Biscuit
Sapling

The Sindar

I was reading on another thread that people think Thranduil was greedy. Generally there seems to be a similarity between the Sindar in this way. Think about Thingol (who I think Thranduil in the Hobbit is very similar to), he filled his halls with gold and jewels and apparently valued a simaril more than his daughter. Also Oropher (Thranduil's father)had the same sort of personality, in the battle of the last alliance he wouldn't march under Gil-galads banner and charged the gates of Mordor before any signal was given (and died). Generally all the Sindar seem a bit less wise then the Noldor. Even Celeborn , who is Sindar, is a bit like this in LOTR. Could this be because the Noldor went to Valinor and were taught by the Valar, but the Sindar who were part of the Avari weren't?
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 05:00 PM   #2
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

To address part of your question, the Sindar are not Avari.

Avari are the ( unwilling or refusers) they never started on the journey to Aman.

Sindar and Avari are Moriquendi ( dark Elves). Those who never saw the light of Valinor.

Sindar are also Umanyar ( those not of Aman) they started on the journey but never completed it.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 05:57 PM   #3
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Re: The Sindar

Quote:
Originally posted by Biscuit
Generally all the Sindar seem a bit less wise then the Noldor.
IMHO the wisdom of the Noldor could be discussed a lot! At least in the Elder days...
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 05:59 PM   #4
Lightice
Elven Warrior

On my opinion, they were very wise, but not too smart...
They loved their work too much.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 06:19 PM   #5
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Lightice I would say the opposite.

That were very smart but lacked wisdom.

They were smart enough to forge and built but lacked wisdom in many of their choices.

An example off the top of my head would be Feanor was smart enough to know he could never succeed but lacked the wisdom to withdraw.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-19-2002 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2002, 12:00 PM   #6
Biscuit
Sapling

[QUOTE]Originally posted by afro-elf
[B]To address part of your question, the Sindar are not Avari.

Sorry, I only realised that they weren't Avari later.
Seems also that the Sindar weren't as skilled at making stuff as the Noldor. Thingol had to have the Dwarves help him make the necklace for the silmaril.
Doesn't it say somewhere in the Silmarillion the Noldor were taught crafts by the Valar?
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 01:18 PM   #7
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I believe you are correct there.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-23-2002, 07:54 PM   #8
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I moved this from The Hobbit forum as it's a rather broad subject, I think.

I agree that the Grey-elves collectively were not as wise as 'the most gifted race of the Eldar', mainly because of the latter's contact with the Holy Ones of the Blessed Realm. But I don't think that makes them greedy or Racist. Thingol, Thranduil, Celeborn are three examples of individual Elves who were not so nice and rather prejudice before they opened their eyes. Though, Thingol was counted among the Elves of the Light (Caledhil or Calaquendi). But they were only individuals. Look at Beleg Cúthalion or Legolas son of Thranduil. Legolas shared some of the prejudice of his father obviously, but he was a nice guy.

Also I should mention that Celeborn the Wise at the end of the Third Age was accounted most wise of all the Eldar remaining in Middle-earth. That includes Noldor.