Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #381
katya
Elven Maiden

I think part of it was because we had been watching Weeds and I liked the idea of a secret wedding and then later have a real ceremony. It was kind of awkward timing too but we wanted to get it official for practical reasons. It was so funny, we didn't have rings or anything or even take our winter coats off. The magistrate was a sweetheart though.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #382
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Just the other day I found out that a friend I've known for about 5 years is married to his partner. It was a bit awkward because it turned out that even people he has known for 20+ years didn't know, and they only got married fairly recently.

In fact that may have been the Most Awkward Silence of 2011 for me, when the whole room turned round as one and said "WTF??".

I have a feeling it think that in their case it is to do with the legal position regarding her daughter (i.e. his step-daughter), possibly on account of the biological father being a wanker.

So yeah, all sorts of reasons.

Twas ever thus though eh? Isn't the romantic ideal of marriage a relatively recent convention?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #383
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Congrats, katya!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #384
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post

So yeah, all sorts of reasons.

Twas ever thus though eh? Isn't the romantic ideal of marriage a relatively recent convention?
Precisely. The "romantic convention" is a recent historic convention that has been imported anachronistically into all sorts of ideas and places by that ever popular cinema.

Arranged marriages are probably the most common world-wide and historically.

"Falling in love" is a rather recent ideal as a cause for marriage. It was marriage that led to falling in love usually. And, of course, the marriage vows in the Prayer Book reflect that reality rather than our age's.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #385
katya
Elven Maiden

My marriage is way more like the old style of marriage. More strategy less infatuation. But lots of love. <3