Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #41
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I did recently receive a kindle from my parents, because I had finally decided that it would be useful. Much as I love paper books, I also dislike too much clutter, I am flat out of shelf space, and up to 9-14 boxes when I move (if I want to be able to lift each box on my own).

It is really easy on the eyes since the screen has a flat quality to it that mimics the look of paper, and since you can adjust the font to a comfortable size, so no squinting at the page or searching for books in large print.

The only real misgiving I have about it is that I can't support my local bookstores by purchasing e-text from them instead of giants like Amazon yet, but I know I'll still go to them for book meant as gifts or texts that aren't available for the kindle yet, and I wasn't buying hard copies that often anymore because of the space issues anyway.

As for e-publishing itself - I am really excited by the possibilities it opens up. I think in the long run it's going to give more authors more independence to write and find audiences and make an income from their work than traditional publishing currently does, and that would be a good thing.

What's more, it will change the type of literary storytelling possible by bringing back the potential for audience/author interaction and mutability that we lost when we moved from oral tradition into more exclusively print forms.

But that's a larger, different issue. E-Books themselves are just tools, and pretty cool ones at that.

(Seriously, just look at yours and listen to your inner Noldo squee!)
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 01-18-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote