Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
frodomerryandaragornrock

Gandalf Who Really Killed the Witch King in ROTK??

Who Really Killed the Witch King?

There is much debate about who really killed the Witch King. Some say Merry killed him and Éowyn helped, and others say Merry helped and Éowyn actually killed him. I think that neither are true, Merry and Éowyn both killed him, according to the book and the movie, The Return of the King.

In ROTK (the book), Éowyn has disguised herself as a man to fight in the war. Théoden, King of Rohan and Éowyn's uncle, tried to kill the Witch King but his horse was pierced with a black arrow and Théoden was pinned under him and was badly injured. Éowyn, still disguised, ran to his aid.

She told the King of the Nazĝul to leave him alone, and the Witch King warned her that she will die. She ignores that and says that she will hinder him anyway.

He says: “Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man mat hinder me!” Then she takes off her helmet (this is my favorite part!) and says that she is no man, but Éowyn, the Lady of Rohan! The Witch King tries to kill her, but only succeeds in hurting her.

But Merry runs to her aid and stabs him in the back of the knee, giving Éowyn enough time to get up with all her remaining strength, and kill the Ringwraith. She almost died, if it were not for Aragorn's healing touch and Merry's stabbing the King.

The movie has several differences than. Merry knows that it was Éowyn, Éowyn talks to Théoden (in the book, it was Merry), and the wording is a bit different. But the end result is the same, that Éowyn killed the Witch King but not without a of of help. She might not have been able to if it were not for Merry stabbing the Nazĝul .

So in conclusion, both texts, movie or book, whichever you prefer, still says that Éowyn killed the King of the Ringwraiths. But not without some big help from Merry, of course. So I think that both of them did, it. Neither one would have been able to do what they did without each other.
frodomerryandaragornrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

There shouldn't be any debate. A blow to the back of the knee is clearly not going to do any great damage.

Anyway, weren't hobbits a strain of the race of Men? Which would make Merry a man, and therefore ineligible.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodomerryandaragornrock View Post
The movie has several differences than. Merry knows that it was Éowyn
Yet another change in the movie for the better. From day one, it strained credulity to believe that Merry could ride (and otherwise hang!) for so long
with someone who, by then, he knew personally and not have any clue who it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
There shouldn't be any debate. A blow to the back of the knee is clearly not going to do any great damage.
You have obviously never had a serious knee injury or require knee reconstructive surgery. I have - the injury was the worst pain of my life.

Quote:
Anyway, weren't hobbits a strain of the race of Men? Which would make Merry a man, and therefore ineligible.
Excellent point (and, I believe, definitive).
Old 07-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
I don't know... after all, do the Nazgul still have organs? At least organs on which their lives depend? I don't think so. A blow in one place might have the same effect as a blow in any other. OTOH - I agree that Eowyn struck the death blow.

Quote:
Maybe so - but only a STRAIN! And I don't know if they were commonly acknowledged as such - either my Men or themselves. I think their eligibility is restored.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:50 AM   #5
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Oh, an oldie but goodie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodomerryandaragornrock View Post
There is much debate about who really killed the Witch King. Some say Merry killed him and Éowyn helped, and others say Merry helped and Éowyn actually killed him. I think that neither are true, Merry and Éowyn both killed him, according to the book and the movie, The Return of the King.
Leaving aside the obvious red meat, “Do the movies have any canonicity whatsoever?” yeah, it sure looks like it took both Merry and Éowyn to kill the Witch-King. In “The Battle of the Pelennor Fields,” the text says that,
Quote:
[Merry] looked for his sword that he had let fall; … the blade was smoking like a dry branch … and … it … was consumed.

So passed the sword of the Barrow-downs… [G]lad would he have been to know its fate who wrought it … in the North-kingdom when the Dúnedain were young, and chief among their foes was ... Angmar and its sorcerer king. No other blade, not though mightier hands had wielded it, would have dealt that foe a wound so bitter, cleaving the undead flesh, breaking the spell that knit his unseen sinews to his will.
Bombadil chose the blades from the Barrow-wight’s hoard in FotR, “Fog on the Barrow-downs”:
Quote:
For each of the hobbits he chose a dagger, long, leaf-shaped, and keen, of marvelous workmanship… Whether by some virtue in these sheaths or because of the spell that lay on the mound, the blades seemed untouched by time...

‘Old knives are long enough as swords for hobbit-people,’ he said. ‘Sharp blades are good to have, if Shire-folk go walking, east, south, or far away into dark and danger.’ Then he told them that these blades were forged many long years ago by Men of Westernesse: they were foes of the Dark Lord, but they were overcome by the evil king of Carn Dûm in the Land of Angmar.
I think the short-swords were counterparts to the Nazgûl’s long knives, like the one the Witch-king used to wound Frodo on Weathertop: the Nazgûl knife drew the living into the shadow-realm, but the Dúnedain knife drew the Nazgûl back to the realm of the living.

In any case, the Witch-king apparently had sinew, either ligaments or tendons, and undead flesh, so I cast my vote for “unseen body in the shadow world,” not an incorporeal being (like the ghosts of Dunharrow). He could wear clothes, a crown, and wield both sword and mace to deadly effect: he was a man, but a man trapped in the necromantic enchantment of his fiendish master, Sauron. The nefarious effect of the Rings was to prolong or stretch one’s life, as Bilbo described to Gandalf in “A Long-expected Party”:
Quote:
I feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean: like butter that has been scraped over too much bread.
I think that Merry’s blow activated whatever magic, enchantment, or even anti-magic (we might consider that the Barrow-blade “merely” undid Sauron’s spells), leaving the Witch-king vulnerable to injury by normal weapons: apparently, he was not so vulnerable before: he could not be killed or “unhoused” before Merry struck him with the Barrow-blade. Éowyn’s blow then decapitated him; but her sword still suffered the fate of all swords that stuck him, as Aragorn described for the hobbits on Weathertop: “all blades perish that pierce that dreadful King.”

So here’s my position, spelled out for clean attack and dissection for any who care to sharpen their own long knives: Barrow-blade, Morgul-knife, or rusty dagger:
  • The Witch-king has a body. It isn’t in the normal world, but rather in a shadow-world, whatever that is. (The Eldar can see into it, it would seem.)
  • The Dúnedain of the North (Cardolan?) made at least one set of “long knives” for use in their wars with Angmar. These were buried with a fearsome keeper, the Barrow-wight (perhaps by the victorious Witch-king after destroying Cardolan?), but Bombadil chose four for the hobbits. Frodo’s was broken by the Witch-king (by magic?) on Weathertop.
  • Merry, ignored on the battlefield by the Witch-king because he was focused on Éowyn, who was clearly “no man” and hence technically fell outside Glorfindel’s prophecy (now, why would a bad guy put such hope in a good guy’s prophecy?), got behind the bad guy, and stuck him with the knife, breaking the spell that made him invulnerable to normal weapons.
  • Éowyn chopped off his now-vulnerable noggin, and the Witch-king was “unhoused.”
What happened from there is anyone’s guess, but mine is that the Witch-king’s spirit returned to Sauron, where Sauron tormented him mercilessly: Frodo and Sam heard it pass overhead, apparently (to me) from the direction of the battlefield toward the direction of Barad-dûr; but all notions welcomed! (As long as they constructively build the thread.)

-0-

Isn’t this the second-most thoroughly-debated topic on Tolkien forums after, “Did the Balrog have wings?” And is there any reason we cannot gleefully rehash it all over again?

-0-

Oh, phoo! Here come the orcs to drag me back to the salt mines…

Last edited by Alcuin : 07-22-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:34 AM   #6
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
Oh, an oldie but goodie!
:
:
-0-

Oh, phoo! Here come the orcs to drag me back to the salt mines…
I know... we'll start a petition! A petition that the Orcs would release Alcuin fom the salt mines! Surely they'll listen to reason... and respond to this humanitarian request.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
I know... we'll start a petition! A petition that the Orcs would release Alcuin fom the salt mines! Surely they'll listen to reason... and respond to this humanitarian request.
We'll have to boycott salt. You can undermine (groan at pun) their business model first by reducing demand for their product.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
I don't know... after all, do the Nazgul still have organs? At least organs on which their lives depend? I don't think so. A blow in one place might have the same effect as a blow in any other. OTOH - I agree that Eowyn struck the death blow.
Come on, Val, don't contradict yourself. Why the blow in the face or the neck would kill him, if he doesn't depend on any organs?
You can't speak or sniff without functional lungs, without breathing. Another matter that they didn't NEED to breathe for survival (most likely) - that's why Gandalf was so confident NOT to find a drowned nazgul in the Bruinen.
And we know the nazgul didn't NEED to eat:
Quote:
It is probable that the Captain took the one horse that remained (he may have had strength to withdraw it from the flood) and unclad, naked, invisible, rode as swift as he could back to Mordor. At swiftest he could not accomplish that (for his horse at least would need some food and rest, though he needed none) ere November had passed.RC p.262
Does it mean they never ate and were unable to eat? I don't think so.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #9
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
And we know the nazgul didn't NEED to eat:

Does it mean they never ate and were unable to eat? I don't think so.
That’s a great thought: I wonder Sauron trapped one of the Nazgûl by offering a Ring as a weight-loss aid or diet supplement?
Old 07-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #10
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Good job, Alcuin.

Here's a question: Suppose Eowyn passes out as Merry slices WiKi's ligaments. What happens to the WiKi then, without Eowyn delivering the final blow?

My guess (without any research at this point) is that he's then no different from any other very old soldier of Mordor with a jacked-up leg, limping around the battlefield, trying not to get himself killed before wasting away of old age.

Any other ideas?

I think it is important to remember that the prophecy about who would kill him is just that: a prophecy. It is not a statement of magical, medical, or scientific fact based on a physical evaluation of WiKi's being. It is a statement of who would kill him, not of who could kill him. And prophecies don't all come true...
Old 07-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Here's a question: Suppose Eowyn passes out as Merry slices WiKi's ligaments. What happens to the WiKi then, without Eowyn delivering the final blow?

My guess (without any research at this point) is that he's then no different from any other very old soldier of Mordor with a jacked-up leg, limping around the battlefield, trying not to get himself killed before wasting away of old age.
Old? I think it is not implied that the knife broke the spell that kept WiKi forever young and handsome, though invisible. It was his Ring's doing, and could hardly be broken without destroying his Ring or the One Ring.

However, there had to be other spells on the nazgul: those that resulted in semi-invulnerability of the wraiths. (You can't slay them with arrows or drown them and all blades perish that pierce them - without doing much harm). I think it was that spell that was broken.

I guess, had only Merry struck him, the WK would have been incapacitated much like any mortal man with the same injury, maybe worse - paralyzed. But there were at least 5-6 of the nazgul present on the battlefield. He could have called a buddy on a Fell Beast to carry him to Dr. Sauron's best hospital.

And now a little research on the matter.

Letter # 210. From a letter to Forrest J. Ackerman [Not dated; June 1958]
(Tolkien's comments on the film 'treatment' of The Lord of the Rings.)
Quote:
There is no fight. Sam does not 'sink his blade into the Ringwraith's thigh', nor does his thrust save Frodo's life. (If he had, the result would have been much the same as in III 117-20:4 the Wraith would have fallen down and the sword would have been destroyed.)
So, even a flesh wound by a Barrow-Downs blade (what is a dagger in the thigh after all?) makes a nazgul "fall down". Would he be paralyzed? Likely, IMO. But it is not said he would be dead, just out of the game for a time at least. Perhaps the injured nazgul could be healed and this spell could be remade, given time and competent assistance.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
I guess, had only Merry struck him, the WK would have been incapacitated much like any mortal man with the same injury, maybe worse - paralyzed. ...

So, even a flesh wound by a Barrow-Downs blade (what is a dagger in the thigh after all?) makes a nazgul "fall down". Would he be paralyzed? Likely, IMO. But it is not said he would be dead, just out of the game for a time at least. Perhaps the injured nazgul could be healed and this spell could be remade, given time and competent assistance.
He wasn’t paralyzed: the Witch-king was on all fours. His first reaction should be to try to get up, but he can’t because one of his knees is out of commission.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:54 AM   #13
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Ahh, Alcuin, I never had time to answer to your first post... I am working hard myself in the salt mines... But I mostly agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
He wasn’t paralyzed: the Witch-king was on all fours. His first reaction should be to try to get up, but he can’t because one of his knees is out of commission.
It would be certainly true, if it were a mortal man we were discussing. I also thought it applicable to the WK - as you do - but now I am confused about this quote from the letter 210 about the Weathertop scene. Please, read it again.
Quote:
There is no fight. Sam does not 'sink his blade into the Ringwraith's thigh', nor does his thrust save Frodo's life. (If he had, the result would have been much the same as in III 117-20:4 the Wraith would have fallen down and the sword would have been destroyed.)
Zimmerman didn't take into the account the spell on the blades: Sam gives a nazgul a minor wound and nothing drastic happens. Tolkien points out that Sam's blade (any blade) would be destroyed AND the nazgul would have fallen down. Now why would he fall from a minor wound? Because of the spell, most certainly. So the WK also was hurt worse than a mortal man with the same injury.

OK, then in your first post, Alcuin, you advance the idea that the Barrow blade moves the nazgul back into the World of living, making him vulnerable to other weapons.
I agree that the Barrow blade breaks Sauron's "invulnerability" spell:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin
I think that Merry’s blow activated whatever magic, enchantment, or even anti-magic (we might consider that the Barrow-blade “merely” undid Sauron’s spells), leaving the Witch-king vulnerable to injury by normal weapons: apparently, he was not so vulnerable before: he could not be killed or “unhoused” before Merry struck him with the Barrow-blade. Éowyn’s blow then decapitated him; but her sword still suffered the fate of all swords that stuck him, as Aragorn described for the hobbits on Weathertop: “all blades perish that pierce that dreadful King.”
Yes.
But I am not sure I agree with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin
the Nazgûl knife drew the living into the shadow-realm, but the Dúnedain knife drew the Nazgûl back to the realm of the living.
Maybe, maybe... but if a nazgul is drawn into the world of the living, wouldn't he become visible in the first place? And that didn't happen:
Quote:
Then tottering, struggling up, with her last strength she drove her sword between crown and mantle, as the great shoulders bowed before her.
There was still nothing visible between crown and mantle when she struck - thus I doubt the nazgul was back in the World of light.

I disagree with DPR that the "invulnerability" spell is the same Ring-spell that makes a former Man an invisible immortal wraith. I think it was something else added by Sauron, maybe back in the Second Age. The Nine Rings made the nazgul immortal, like elves, but as Elves they could be killed by ordinary means. Likely Sauron tried to remedy to that.

Oh if I had more time to discuss this nice oldie...
Old 07-22-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Quote:
Old? I think it is not implied that the knife broke the spell that kept WiKi forever young and handsome, though invisible. It was his Ring's doing, and could hardly be broken without destroying his Ring or the One Ring.
I was thinking the spell that was broken, "the spell that knit his unseen sinews to his will," was the Ring-spell. Surely, destroying his Ring would break that spell, but why believe that is the only way to break it?

He isn't wearing the Ring. Therefore, its grasp on him is to some extent tenuous.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #15
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
I was thinking the spell that was broken, "the spell that knit his unseen sinews to his will," was the Ring-spell. Surely, destroying his Ring would break that spell, but why believe that is the only way to break it?

He isn't wearing the Ring. Therefore, its grasp on him is to some extent tenuous.
I agree with this, but I disagree with the statement made elsewhere that the W-K was not paralysed. 'knit his unseen sinews to his will" to me sounds like the spell that allowed his consciousness to control his undead body.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #16
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus View Post
I agree with this, but I disagree with the statement made elsewhere that the W-K was not paralysed. 'knit his unseen sinews to his will" to me sounds like the spell that allowed his consciousness to control his undead body.
And "his will" was controlled to a great extent by Sauron via his ring, therefore my deduction that this spell that was broken by Merry's stab was indeed the ring-spell. If Merry's stab left WiKi's "unseen sinews" mere invisible flesh without will (paralyzed, if you will), then he was a sitting duck for Eowyn's death-blow.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #17
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
then he was a sitting duck for Eowyn's death-blow.
As I understand, this is indeed the case. That is why he didn't raise his mace for another blow.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #18
frodomerryandaragornrock

Thank you everyone for your comments!!! i appreciate them!!
frodomerryandaragornrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:34 AM   #19
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Quote:
the "invulnerability" spell
I have never heard of such a thing until this thread. Got any support that such a spell existed? I'm not fully versed in HoME or Letters, so I'm willing to be educated on this point. Or is such a spell inferred from context in LotR itself?
Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #20
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
I have never heard of such a thing until this thread. Got any support that such a spell existed? I'm not fully versed in HoME or Letters, so I'm willing to be educated on this point. Or is such a spell inferred from context in LotR itself?
Only inferred.