Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2000, 04:27 AM   #1
Quickbeam

Creation science

This is primarily a response to Anduin, who expressed a desire to know more about this subject when it came up in a different forum, but other interested parties are welcome to join in!
Just a quick outline of the scientific evidence for Special Creation (as opposed to cosmic/organic evolution):
The First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics, as mentioned in the other thread. The First Law precludes the possibility of the universe having somehow created itself. The Second Law excludes the possibility that it has always existed, because if so it would have run down completely long ago, with all matter and energy being converted into useless heat energy and evenly distributed throughout the universe. The Second Law's principle of increasing entropy also means that if you go back far enough, there was a point in time without entropy. This is consistent with an originally perfect Creation. Evolution is directly contradicted by both of these laws, the best established principles in science.
The fossil record is often cited as evidence of evolution. The fact is that the gaps in the fossil record are systematic, just as would be expected if each 'kind' of animal and plant had been created. Fossil animals, no matter how far 'back' you go, fit into the same categories as modern animals. Missing links are the rule. There have been billions of fossils discovered around the world, representing some 250,000 species. NOT ONE is a transitional form between major categories of animals. The most reasonable conclusion from that evidence is that there are no transitional fossils because there were no transitions in the first place.
There are a number of powerful evidences for a young earth (less than 10,000 years), most notably 1) The decay of the earth's magnetic field; 2) The small amount of radiogenic helium in the upper atmosphere (4.6 billion years of radioactive decay should have produced vastly more helium than what actually exists); 3) The fact that Carbon-14 and normal Carbon-12 are not in equilibrium in the atmosphere (not even close, actually), something that would happen in only about 30,000 years from the original formation of the atmosphere. This equilibrium was one of the original assumptions in the Carbon-14 dating method. A few years later, when they noticed that a lot of the dates they were getting were obviously way off, they checked closer and discovered this interesting little fact, to the embarrassment of all old-earthers.
Probability makes evolution a mathematical impossibility. Even the simplest living cell is almost unimaginably complex. The level of mathematical impossibility is considered to be 1 chance in 10 to the 50th power (1 followed by 50 zeros). Even given the most absurdly generous conditions, the best odds for the chance formation of a living cell are on the order of 1 in 10 to the 160th power. Remember, 10 to the 51st power is already TEN TIMES GREATER than 10 to the 50th. To give it some perspective, there is estimated to be 10 to the 80th power electrons in the entire universe! I think it was Fred Hoyle (I'm too lazy to go look it up right now) who said that the chances of a living cell forming spontaneously is approximately the same as the chances of a tornado going through a junk yard and assembling a Boeing 747.
This is some of the evidence that favors special creation over evolution. There are many fine books on the various aspects of the case for Creation out there. One good source for material is the Institute for Creation Research, P.O. Box 2667, El Cajon, CA 92021-0667. You can also visit their web site at www.icr.org
I'm not a professional scientist or anything, but I've studied this issue a lot on my own, and have a number of good Creation books in my personal collection. I would be happy to try to answer any questions any of you might have on the subject.
Thanks to Anduin and the others who expressed interest in this topic in the other thread. I appreciate your comments.