Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2003, 11:55 PM   #1
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

How dumb is it to wait for the last movie to put in a physical Sauron after complaining about how difficult is wad to have an eye as the evil one. Wouldn't it have been easier to change it early on if it is to be done at all? The Legolas bit sounds likely but I doubt the Sauron rumor. I heard another rumor than Saruon would be shown as the ring was being destroyed. I'll watch it as a rental if this rumor is true. Why irritate myself and pay $30 for the privilege?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 12:00 AM   #2
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

All I have to say is:

Figures.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 12:26 AM   #3
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
How dumb is it to wait for the last movie to put in a physical Sauron after complaining about how difficult is wad to have an eye as the evil one. Wouldn't it have been easier to change it early on if it is to be done at all? The Legolas bit sounds likely but I doubt the Sauron rumor. I heard another rumor than Saruon would be shown as the ring was being destroyed. I'll watch it as a rental if this rumor is true. Why irritate myself and pay $30 for the privilege?

you pay 30 dollars just to go see the movie where do you live
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 12:33 AM   #4
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
you pay 30 dollars just to go see the movie where do you live
Can't go w/o the family, now can I? We can all watch the rental for the same low, low, price.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 12:43 AM   #5
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah i never thought of that. you learn something new everyday
I AM CANADIAN

Old 05-11-2003, 04:54 AM   #6
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

i only go and see it about once... then by the magic of pirates that somehow work into a friends hands

well he does get three of us in one household buying the extended version.... we all wanted the bookends alright???!!!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 07:11 AM   #7
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreran the Green
Oh, and IF, and I'm sayin' IF PJ did give Sauron physical form to match him to Gandalf, Then what I'd like to know is why its ARAGORN and not GANDALF fighting Sauron!?! Does this make sense to anyone but me?? Or have I gone back into being crazy again??
It would be very logical for Sauron to fight Aragorn. He would be a stronger match physically than anyone else (although still not in Sauron's league) but more importantly, he is the heir of Isildur. I'm sure Sauron would like nothing better than to kick his butt. It would be the classic 'david versus goliath' scene and a very dramatic finale to the war of the ring.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 07:26 AM   #8
Elf Girl
Lurker

Yeah, except David has absolutely no chance of winning; as there was no Ring to cut from Sauron's finger. Aragorn would never do that! Even if he was confident the Ring would be destroyed, he would have no way of knowing it would happen before Sauron squashed him into heir-of-Isildur goo. He has no children; the line of kings would be forever broken!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Confuse me! I can take it!
Yeah, you can take it, but don't you think the fact that it will confuse some people will make it a crummy movie? (Not that it wouldn't already be...)

BB: Okay, are you saying that this ending is better than Tolkien's? If so, what will you do if your almighty god Jackson raises up his hand and squashes this rumour into the dust? Will you squirm and say 'Well, he's the professional. He knows what he's doing.'?

And please comment on the confusion factor in my above post. (No one shall ignore the almighty Elf Girl! Bwahahaha!)
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 07:37 AM   #9
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Yeah, except David has absolutely no chance of winning; as there was no Ring to cut from Sauron's finger.
That's the drama, Elf Girl. Aragorn and the audience know that Sauron will beat him to a plup. The suspense is whether or not Aragorn will survive until the ring is destroyed. Aragorn's act is a self-sacrificing one. He expects to die.

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
BB: Okay, are you saying that this ending is better than Tolkien's? If so, what will you do if your almighty god Jackson raises up his hand and squashes this rumour into the dust? Will you squirm and say 'Well, he's the professional. He knows what he's doing.'?
First, this scenario is essentially the same; you're just getting literally-minded again.

I will be okay if it's just a rumor...but it feels right...and very exciting!!!
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 07:40 AM   #10
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

i lost the conversation in this thread a long time ago so i'm just going to sit and nod my head and smile like a demented penguin looking like she know's whats going on
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Last edited by Lalaith_Elf : 05-11-2003 at 07:41 AM.
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 08:16 AM   #11
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
That's the drama, Elf Girl. Aragorn and the audience know that Sauron will beat him to a plup. The suspense is whether or not Aragorn will survive until the ring is destroyed. Aragorn's act is a self-sacrificing one. He expects to die.
I don't believe event the movie Aragorn would go into a battle he knows he cannot win. He would lead an army into battle, because even it they are outnumbered a thousand to one, it takes time to kill an army, and they needed to disguise the quest of the Ringbearer. Aragorn assaulting Sauron is not disguising the quest of the Ringbearer, since it would make it pretty obvious that Aragorn has not got the Ring. So would Aragorn willingly deprive Gondor of it's king?

Heh, heh, heh... 'beaten into a plup'...

Quote:
First, this scenario is essentially the same; you're just getting literally-minded again.
Your saying it's essentially the same as TOLKIEN'S?! *splutter*

Quote:
I will be okay if it's just a rumor...but it feels right...and very exciting!!!
So if they don't do it, you will wish they had, yes?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 09:37 AM   #12
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Quote:
It would be very logical for Sauron to fight Aragorn. He would be a stronger match physically than anyone else (although still not in Sauron's league) but more importantly, he is the heir of Isildur. I'm sure Sauron would like nothing better than to kick his butt. It would be the classic 'david versus goliath' scene and a very dramatic finale to the war of the ring.
Yeah...I kinda figured that...you know, another part of Aragorn's fullfilling his destiny. Like that line Arwen said in FotR, "You will face the same evil, and you will win" wasn't that it? I just like Gandalf more than Aragorn, that's all. I know it wouldn't make sense, but then again the whole scene doesn't make much sense to begin with if you ask me.

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 09:53 AM   #13
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Tom Bombadil

Yeah, but poor old Gandalf's been through enough already! Make the virile young pup earn his crown! Mmmmmmm!
Old 05-11-2003, 10:18 AM   #14
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Can't argue with that

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Old 05-11-2003, 10:51 AM   #15
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

I have seen a scene from the movie where gandalf is talking to aragorn and he say"the one person(sauron) he fears is you aragorn" or something along those lines.
I AM CANADIAN

Old 05-11-2003, 10:55 AM   #16
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Well if Gandalf says it then it must be true Always trust Gandalf. Gandalf rocks

Old 05-11-2003, 11:00 AM   #17
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

yep and soon he will be dumbledore who i dont know if he will rock as much as. i think richard harris would have rocked more then ian does
I AM CANADIAN

Old 05-11-2003, 11:03 AM   #18
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Wait, wait wait! I thought the Mckellen/Dumbledore thing was just a rumour!Wasn't some irish guy being dumbledore?

Old 05-11-2003, 11:04 AM   #19
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i read it in an article somewhere on the moot. ill go try and find it. brb
I AM CANADIAN

Old 05-11-2003, 11:09 AM   #20
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

oh wait you were right. it is michael gambon and he is irish. i wish richard harris was still alive he was sooo good at dumbledore
I AM CANADIAN