Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2003, 02:46 PM   #1
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

*can almost hear the movie fans scream when they finally finish the books........."Tolkien left out the fight-scene!" *

If Jackson is doing this...........then he might as well re-name the movies Karate Kid of the Ring

Quote:
The reality is that Jackson needs a true "Darth Vaderish" villian to represent the evil in the conclusion to a story that is based on a good versus evil theme.
No it's not..........it's because Jackson feels that it is more important to have box office success than to keep to the theme of Tolkien............that's why he is using the same tried and tested action movie formula that has drawn in the crowds since the seventies.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 03:11 PM   #2
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

*shakes head* no, no, no, no, NO!!!!! first haldir then this.
*shakes computer*
okay calm..... they're just rumours.... it won't be true.... otherwise.... otherwise pj will have a very angry north-eastener onto him.... and we are not very... nice..... when we get angry..... hmpf!!!!!

penguins might be needed again.......
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 03:37 PM   #3
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
The reality is that Jackson needs a true "Darth Vaderish" villian to represent the evil in the conclusion to a story that is based on a good versus evil theme. ....But it sure sounds great to me.
WHAT!?!?!?!!?!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to tell you that I woke up this morning with the resolve to be nice today and not attack anyone, no matter what .............................................. I've gotta go before I say something mean. DAMMIT!
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 04:41 PM   #4
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
No it's not..........it's because Jackson feels that it is more important to have box office success than to keep to the theme of Tolkien............
Purist (Coney dialect) Translation: Whaaah, whaaaah.....how dare Jackson make a movie regular fans will enjoy rather than give those of us on the far right purist fringe our precious literal translation of the book???...whaaah, whaaah.

Nothing about having Sauron at the battle takes away from the themes that Tolkien wrote.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 04:49 PM   #5
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Purist (Coney dialect) Translation: Whaaah, whaaaah.....how dare Jackson make a movie regular fans will enjoy rather than give those of us on the far right purist fringe our precious literal translation of the book???...whaaah, whaaah.

Nothing about having Sauron at the battle takes away from the themes that Tolkien wrote.

You've seen it then?

Cast your mind back to when you first read the books.......think hard now.......and tell me that you thought "Yeah, it was ok.....would've been better if Aragorn had fought Sauron at the end"

IMO the Tolkien Estate should make PJ change the title.

BTW.........you need practice on how to flame effectively.....that one is pathetic

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 05-10-2003 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:49 PM   #6
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

What does "having him there" ruin? I wouldn't mind seeing him melt in hideous anguish (or whatever he does ) when the ring gets destroyed! I'm up for it!
Old 05-10-2003, 04:56 PM   #7
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I'm not believing anything until I *see* it. Until then, I'm just gonna curse his very name for the damage that already been done.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
He's Palpatine, Allright? PALPATINE!!!!
Wouldn't he be Darth Vader, since he was the 'minion' of Morgoth?
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 05:03 PM   #8
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

That, is not right. If he does that, then he is going to throw off Sauron's whole personality (I mean, thats just not what he does, at least, not from my view).
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 05:13 PM   #9
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Cast your mind back to when you first read the books.......think hard now.......and tell me that you thought "Yeah, it was ok.....would've been better if Aragorn had fought Sauron at the end"
Okay, listen carefully class:

While the Sauron vs. Aragorn thing is still just a rumor, it makes sense. Think hard now about making a movie....and tell me what you think of a flaming eye as the movie-goers only representation for ultimate evil.

In FOTR and TTT we had Saruman. But once Saruman is out of the picture, the focus of the third movie becomes a battle of wits between Gandalf (good) versus Sauron (evil). Does a flaming eye carry the same weight and have the same stature as Ian Mckellan as Gandalf the White? I don't think so.

By bringing back Sauron in physical form, we have a badassed dude who can, if filmed properly, create the SAME KIND OF FEAR AND TENSION that Tolkien created in his book. But people have to understand that a literal translation of Sauron just doesn't pack the same emotional punch that the book delivered in spades.

To paraphrase the immortal words of Darth Vader: "Search your feelings, you KNOW ME to be true!!!"
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 05:45 PM   #10
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

damn PJ what a jack***. but the thing about grima getting shot in the head sounds cool. but the sauron at the black gates is ridicuolous
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 06:07 PM   #11
Elf Girl
Lurker

Now wait just a second. Don't you think it will confuse people? I thought the movie was saying this: (about Sauron's physical form.)

After the Ring was taken from him at the Last Alliance, he no longer had a 'body', but was a flaming eye.

If the attatchment below is not Sauron's form in the movie Third Age, then what is it? His logo? His sign, 'Sauron. All purpose Dark Lord for hire'?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eyeofbaraddur_tn.jpg (6.1 KB, 38 views)
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 06:08 PM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Confuse me! I can take it!
Old 05-10-2003, 06:09 PM   #13
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i geuss maybe PJ thought he could use a different body as a host and that is why he is wearing different armor
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 06:23 PM   #14
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Well PJ ain't Tolkien! The man is mad! He's having delusions that he's the one who went and wrote the best damn book(s) in the whole world(s)!!!!
Oh, and IF, and I'm sayin' IF PJ did give Sauron physical form to match him to Gandalf, Then what I'd like to know is why its ARAGORN and not GANDALF fighting Sauron!?! Does this make sense to anyone but me?? Or have I gone back into being crazy again??

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 09:24 PM   #15
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:

DAMMIT!!! Did you not see what I posted up there. I am trying NOT to flame anyone, %@$%@ #$#%. QUIT TEMPTING ME, @#@%$!!!!!!!!

... dammit... ok... I'll try again tomorrow (sings Jane's Addiction: Jane Says)
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 10:07 PM   #16
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

If this is indeed true, it means that I will just skip the third movie. Having already taken a pass on TT, it shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:44 PM   #17
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I put off seeing TTT for months. When I did see it I thought it was so poorly done in comparison to the first one. And my god the 3rd one will make FotR look like Tolkien was in charge of it's directing instead of PJ.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 10:46 PM   #18
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:

Apostate (Jackson dialect) Translation: Uh-oh...I don't have an argument...I better just use personal attacks! That always works!

Quote:
Think hard now about making a movie....and tell me what you think of a flaming eye as the movie-goers only representation for ultimate evil.
Guess what? The book-readers didn't have ANY representation. Are you saying that movie-goers are too dumb to grasp a "behind the stage" bad-guy? Also, Tolkien specifically stated that he didn't write about "pure" evil. If that is not what you mean by "ultimate" evil, then I would like to ask if you have ever read and/or heard of and/or seen/heard a basic rundown of the Silmarillion.

Quote:
By bringing back Sauron in physical form, we have a badassed dude who can, if filmed properly, create the SAME KIND OF FEAR AND TENSION that Tolkien created in his book. But people have to understand that a literal translation of Sauron just doesn't pack the same emotional punch that the book delivered in spades
Again: Are movie-goers too dumb for a bad-guy they don't see? In many movies, the bad-guy is not seen, sometimes to the very end. It seems to me that you're the one who's saying that movie-goers are stupid.

Quote:
Wouldn't he be Darth Vader, since he was the 'minion' of Morgoth?
While I cannot speak for him, I believe that Wayf meant that he more of a "behind the scenes" evil, as opposed to the blatant, up-front evil of Vader.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 10:47 PM   #19
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasty Ent
If this is indeed true, it means that I will just skip the third movie. Having already taken a pass on TT, it shouldn't be too difficult.
*nods* watched TT twice, that seems to be enough for one lifetime........will watch the extended version, and pray for a miracle

Beatallica
Old 05-10-2003, 10:53 PM   #20
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Haven't decided yet if I'll watch the extended DVD of TT...As you said, Coney, maybe a miracle?

I have decided, however, that if PJ creates a Wild West showdown between Sauron and Aragorn at the Mordor Corral, I will definitely NOT see it.

Last edited by Hasty Ent : 05-10-2003 at 10:54 PM.
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote