Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-14-2002, 05:43 AM   #81
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
It's not like that at all.
I know, it's neither high art nor gutter humour. Still not sure which it is, though.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:47 AM   #82
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

made me laugh - nice little dig at the elves I thought, Legolas saying something about only needing one little peice to last a whole day, the 2 hobbits looking very guilty / disbeleiving . You can see pippin thinking " it might last you elves all day but it wouldnt get me to second breakfast " and ended with a contented fart.
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 06:00 AM   #83
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Now then, do we think that one of those Noldor knives is going to end up sticking out of a certain Witch-King's knee??
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 06:01 AM   #84
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

only if he lends it to Arwen -
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Only in dreams
Old 11-14-2002, 07:58 AM   #85
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I could have lived without it. A stomach ache would have worked better for me!
Old 11-14-2002, 11:01 AM   #86
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, it wasn't an hour and eighteen minutes after I found the Extended Edition was on VHS before I had the two-tape set in my hot little hands.

INCREDIBLE!

I know a lot of stuff was cut from the theatrical release for time's sake, but cheese and crackers! What was cut out actually improved the film. The extended Edition is beautiful, and so much closer to Tolkien than the theatrical release.

Aragorn, Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf, Elrond, Boromir, so many characters are so much more fully fleshed out in the Extended Edition. I've only watched the first tape (got a new kitty cat last night so much of the evening was dedicated to helping her orient and playing chaperone with her and our other two cats).

This is absolutely incredible. Kept interrupting the gf's morning preparations this AM with observation after observation of the new version. Wish I had more folks to discuss it in person!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:17 AM   #87
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

I have learnt how to comment and discuss and observe to myself as g/f simply smiles and pats my head when I go " all ringish "
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Only in dreams
Old 11-14-2002, 11:33 AM   #88
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

There are "hidden" gems that nobody mentioned yet. I think if they are discussed, the word "spoiler" should be added to the thread title.

They need to make a new soundtrack CD next. The music of the elves passing to the west, for instance. I've played the scene several times just to enjoy that.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:27 PM   #89
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Disappointed...again.

The Extended Edition was great. Of course, there HAD to be something to let me down.....

I have yet to see the Two Towers trailer which was tacked on the end of Fellowship in the theaters on any of these releases. I scrolled all the way through the ten minutes of credits, sat through the Day in the Life of a Hobbit thingy, and the trailer at the end is a real let-down. It did not in any way diminish my excitement over the coming film, but it also did not get my appetite fired up either.

Does anyone know if that trailer is on one of the DVDs? It is the trailer which starts with Aragorn finding the clasp, shows Pippin hanginh onto the bridge of Treebeard's nose, etc. I downloaded it from somewhere, but it was shot with a tiny camcorder and the quality is really pathetic.

Aside from that let-down (of course was pretty disappointed it wasn't on the first VHS either), the Extended Version is unbelievably good. If the DVDs don't have that trailer, though, then I won't be buying a DVD player.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:03 PM   #90
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

The four-minute TTT trailer is an easter egg on the Extended DVD.

What are you still doing with VHS? If you can't afford a DVD player, I think you should pawn off your VCR to get the money. The only reason tape is still alive is because you can tape stuff off the TV.

And please tell me that the VHS version is in the original aspect ratio. Pan-and-scan = BUTCHERY
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 02:27 PM   #91
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

IP, it's just me, heck, I stayed with albums 'til 1997!

Actually the DVD player isn't all that much of a priority (clutch the pearls!) and now my hunger for the Extended Edition has been sated. Besides, my entire collection of 'Allo 'Allo episodes and 45+ episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 (all the way back to the first season on the Minneapolis TV station) are all on VHS.

Actually the Phillips DVD/VHS recorder looks like a tenable solution.....

And calm your beating heart, O Ferrous One, the Extended VHS is in letterbox, not like the abominable first VHS release.

Pan-and-Scan IS butchery. I was really glad to see the trend to letterbox broadcasting older films. Makes a tremendous difference.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:03 PM   #92
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I couldn't resist - went out and bought it Tuesday afternoon - I haven't even been able to watch the whole thing yet, but I watched most of the new parts, and it's fabulous! So much more fleshing-out of the characters! I can't wait to get a quiet block of time and watch the whole thing!!

The Lorien extensions are wonderful! So much was added before getting there (w/ Haldir), during the meeting with Celeborn and Galadriel, and then the gift-giving after. I really like how they did Gimli's gift, too.

And no one's mentioned one of my favorite parts yet - when Gimli is snoring in Lorien and Aragorn looks over at him with this totally disgusted look and whacks his pillow! I laughed so hard I cried - my husband snores too, sometimes, and I TOTALLY relate!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 03:07 PM   #93
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Did I miss something, or did the extended version come out?

Old 11-14-2002, 03:10 PM   #94
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

What do you mean? There's an "extended" version?
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 04:08 PM   #95
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

The only thing I'll say about the Easter Egg I found is OUCH!

I bought a DVD player this week. It cost 60 bucks. Then I found out I had to pay 30 bucks for a converter. Fortunately I'm saving money on the extended DVD. I got it for 25 bucks (bucks are Buckland dollars, by the way) from Amazon and it comes with a free ticket to TTT, so that's 8 bucks saved, now it costs 17 bucks. And my wife says there's some sort of 10 buck rebate, so all in all the cost is going to be about 7 bucks, less than 2 bucks a DVD. Man, they are soooooooo greedy!

Last edited by Elfhelm : 11-14-2002 at 04:09 PM.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:33 PM   #96
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

The only problem I have with it is that the whole movie has a yellowish tinge to it - does anyone else have that problem?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-14-2002, 08:40 PM   #97
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Did I miss something, or did the extended version come out?
Well, you sure do miss an aful lot. A little slow, perhaps? O:-p
Old 11-14-2002, 09:00 PM   #98
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm sorry, did you say something? Cos you know, all I can see is: This person is on your Ignore List.

Rian, perhaps it's your tv?
Old 11-14-2002, 09:03 PM   #99
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
The only problem I have with it is that the whole movie has a yellowish tinge to it - does anyone else have that problem?
I don't notice any yellowish tinge Can you not try the disc(s) on a friends player?........if it's still dodgy take it back to the shop

EDIT: think BoP just answered that must learn to read whole thread *repeats*

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 11-14-2002 at 09:05 PM.
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 09:55 PM   #100
Rían

The "old" FoTR (which I got for free ) plays with the colors just fine, so I don't think it's my DVD player or TV. I'll just have to return it, I suppose, and hope the whole lot isn't bad and I don't just get another bad one. Oh, the trials of a LoTR lover!!