Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-01-2002, 06:57 AM   #1
Lightice
Elven Warrior

Re: Treebeard!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
I almost screamed when I saw Treebeard! He was so great! Perfect, if you ask me...It was funny, when we were getting our seats, this woman sitting next to us asked if we were 'screamers,' if we screamed when certain characters came on. Well, we weren't expecting this trailer! Rather, we weren't expecting all that amazing stuff! Treebeard, for example, and Gandalf the White! And Eowyn! And Faramir, Theoden...

er, I just managed two whole posts in which I ramble almost incessently about the trailer and how great it was...I'd better stop...
APRIL FOOLS!!!
Treebeard can't be in there, can he?
...Or can he?
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 09:38 AM   #2
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Why is it the mods can play with off topic threads but ignore bropou's comments about various actresses' boxes. That's got violate some kind of rule.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:54 AM   #3
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Nibs: I don't have an infactuation. I could easily be still interested in Tolkien even if Frodo was played by Gary Shandling! And anyway, I just have a general appreciation of good looking men. Its nothing more than a bit of fun, its not as if it's ever going to happen. *hears Arathorn crying* Apart from you Arathorn, Miranda Otto would definately fall deeply in love with you upon meeting.

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 11:33 AM   #4
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

the end of me

i can't go see it

i think i'll go cry now
bye
Old 04-01-2002, 11:40 AM   #5
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Why??

And can someone PLEASE tell me what aim is and how to get it.

Anyway, to the subject, I can't wait to see the trailer, i'm either goign on Friday or Thursday. Helm's Deep looks good.

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 01:10 PM   #6
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I only repeated what someone else said, markedel.....don't get your knickers in a twist.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 02:58 PM   #7
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

HEY LIGHTICE

TREEBEARD IS IN THE TRAILER, OPEN YOUR EYES (no pun intended)

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 04:02 PM   #8
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

The Two Towers trailer impressions (for real)

Seeing as the other thread started by Bropous (with good intentions no doubt) has turned into a conversational thread on which actor/actress is cutest, I thought I start a thread that really has to do with the trailer and folk's impressions of it. Mine follows:

eh-hem,

It was really cool!

No seriously, it looks like my previous thoughts about Jackson's excellent casting abilty is confirmed further. Every character has looked so simliar to how I pictured them, it is uncanny. Theoden, Eowyn, Faramir (I assumed the other bearded young man was Faramir, though I caught no mention of a name) were perfect. I suppose it could have been Eomer, though he didn't strike me as being dressed particularly Rohirric. Gollum looks extremely well-done as well.

I can't wait to see the Ents fully - watching eyes open out of the bark of a tree, was a great introduciton.

Helm's Deep is given every bit as epic a feel as it deserved.

One question I had for you others here (that saw it as well), Edoras seemed depicted a little more rustic than I imagined. I understand that the Rohirrim were modled loosely after the Vikings, but I always imagined the Golden Hall to be a stone structure, not a wood-beamed lodge-feeling place. Maybe I need to re-read those chapter again...
Old 04-01-2002, 04:07 PM   #9
freddie
Enting

Guys let's try to get back on topic.
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 05:48 PM   #10
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Strider Re: The Two Towers trailer impressions (for real)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lelondul
Seeing as the other thread started by Bropous (with good intentions no doubt) has turned into a conversational thread on which actor/actress is cutest, I thought I start a thread that really has to do with the trailer and folk's impressions of it. Mine follows:

eh-hem,

It was really cool!. . .

. . .One question I had for you others here (that saw it as well), Edoras seemed depicted a little more rustic than I imagined. I understand that the Rohirrim were modled loosely after the Vikings, but I always imagined the Golden Hall to be a stone structure, not a wood-beamed lodge-feeling place. Maybe I need to re-read those chapter again...
i agree -- coolest of cool

i did think the golden hall was a wooden structure, like the viking longhouses. did you find any references to it being stone?
Old 04-01-2002, 05:49 PM   #11
Goatee
Hobbit

Download it!

It looks like a bootleg, the quality sucks and it is about 20 megs, but you can still see it! TTT trailer

Last edited by Goatee : 04-01-2002 at 05:53 PM.
Goatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 06:13 PM   #12
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

That's precisely what I can't remember Varda. I don't have a passage with me, I'll have to check.

Come to think of it, doesn't Alan Lee have a painting of Edoras w/the Golden Hall shown as a dome of stone? Perhaps this is where my imagery springs from...

Anyway, not complaining about he depiction in the flick - it is fitting given the culture of Rohan, and looked very Tolkienesque.

P.S. Thanks freddie

P.P.S. - To Wayfarer or Nolendil (or whatever your name is currently), chaning my designation is not how one keeps secrets from the MEVault from surfacing. Put an Elder in front of it!
Old 04-01-2002, 06:47 PM   #13
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

Goatee, that link doesn't work.
Old 04-01-2002, 07:01 PM   #14
Nibs
Head Hollara

I willed it to, but to no avail.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 07:16 PM   #15
Goatee
Hobbit

Hmmm....

Looks like it has already been removed, sorry. Did anyone get it?
Old 04-01-2002, 07:27 PM   #16
Goatee
Hobbit

Well, you can try this one, but it is not the whole thing. It stops before the best parts.
http://www.mata.com.tw/ring2.mov
Old 04-01-2002, 09:48 PM   #17
Khadrane
Elf Lord

It was great! I was rather dissapointed when I saw Arwen though. Can anyone give me one good reason they are sending her to Helm's Deep???? But other than that it was great. I loved it. I liked Gandalf the White.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 10:43 PM   #18
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

I can only say that Gollum sums it up very nicely for me:
"WE WANTS IT!"
Wow...oh, great Eru and Valar above...I was absolutely electrified. Everything was amazing, just PERFECT. Eowyn was awesome (I can see why you guys like her! But it ain't just you, I've got a girlfriend who's madly in love with her), and Theoden, yikes, that poem was incredible. And Faramir, he's great, he looks just like Sean Bean's brother, which of course he's supposed to be, so there...and TREEBEARD! Right. To quote, "holy S***, it's TREEBEARD!"
I was on the edge of my seat the entrie time...I twisted my scarf practically into rags, my hands had to have something to do or else I'd be grabbing at the screen! It was incredible, simply amazing. Eruviel and I were talking about it, and we thought that Legolas and Aragorn and Gimli and thems...sorta looked...um, not "older" per se, just more experienced, or travle-worn, or something. I'm sorta bugged about Arwen...but, well, I've said it before, and this is PJ's movie, and personally I plan to sit back and enjoy it.
Curses. I wanna enjoy it NOW.
At the end of the trailer, I was so excited, I burst out, "you can't end THERE!" and lotsa people laughed at me... I must go see it again...Gollum was awesome, too..."nasssty theives...we WANTS IT!"
Yes. We does. And we wants it right NOW!
-tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 11:30 PM   #19
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

off topic

i just bought the sil today, im on page 5 and already confused by whats going on.

on topic: i still haven't seen it, but i want to . i prolly can't tho, but i guess i'll be able to find it on the net soon enough, i mean how long did it take me to find the full FotR after it was realeased?
still, with the sound and all, the movie theartre moment would be beter.
Old 04-02-2002, 12:19 AM   #20
Midgardsormen
Hobbit

If you are reading The Silmarillion, you need to do it with a focused mind (it is not bedtime reading the first time around)...and only read 10-20 pages at a time...it is a bit confusing at first, but keep one finger on the map at the back and another on the geneology so that you can work out who is related to who and where they are living....that will help you develop a sense of the overall movements and developments.
I read it like this and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I discovered that if I was even a bit tired, I would read 1-2 pages and then have absolutely no recollection of what I had just read!!!

When it comes to the trailer...I do think I need to see it again as some of the scenes really stuck and others I cannot even remember when people mention them....was there really one of Arwen and Aragorn kissing???? I 'have no recollection' of that...
(by the way, do others find themselves using parts of the script here there and everywhere??)