Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-25-2002, 07:49 PM   #201
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Thrain: I definitely agree with you. I felt that Jackson took too many liberties and didn't produce a movie that truly reflected the characters in LOTR. So much that made the characters alive doesn't exist.

Pippin and Merry were the most annoying for me. Although Pippin was my most favorite in the book - he was one of my least favorite in the movie. I also don't think Gandalf was made to look wise - he kept searching blindly around. He never really seemed to know what he was doing. The conflict with Legolas and Gimli are only touched on at the Council of Elrond and then never pursued in the rest of the movie.

Hopefully some of this would be remedied on the Directors Cut DVD - but it still does not do anything for the characterization of the hobbits.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-25-2002 at 07:51 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 12:31 PM   #202
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Hmmmm.....welcome to the Moot, Thrain of the Shire! Agreed on some of the points you made about the retelling of the story in the film. However, I do not agree that the hobbits came off as weak and bumbling as you did. I think they still showed some resolve, but as agreed on other threads, the need to aver from the original story line doesn't really seem imperative to the making of the film. Good post.

BTW, I'm sure someone else may have pointed this out, but the office is "Thain" of the Shire. Thrain is a dwarf name. Interesting to have a dwarf stand up for the good reputation of hobbits...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 07:08 PM   #203
Thrain of the Shire
Hobbit

Hobbit hands unsuited to typing -- or a hobbophilic dwarf?

Ahem, Yes.

Thanks for the kind words on the post..

and yes, I do realise it is Thain -- and if you know how I can change my user name -- unless it is to go back to the start and re register (and lose all the scoring so far -- can you beg to moderators????) \

Otherwise I will have ot remain a most unusual hoobit who was named for a dwarf...for reasons we will not go into here....(probably sarcastic)

Thrain of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 07:10 PM   #204
Thrain of the Shire
Hobbit

aaaargh....

and now I'm a hoobit...

that must be a cross between a hobbit and a dwarf....

I might be the one person who really knows the truth about female dwarves...he he
Thrain of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 08:03 PM   #205
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Don't worry Thrain - after 50 posts u'll become a dwarvish Ent.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-29-2002, 01:20 PM   #206
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

My only question is: Do dwarf-hobbit women have beards?
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:17 PM   #207
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Oh, bropous...:p

Re: My only question is: Do dwarf-hobbit women have beards?
I don't believe so, Bro, but I've that heard you can fork the hair on their toes.

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 03:19 PM   #208
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"Don't worry Thrain - after 50 posts u'll become a dwarvish Ent."

Now THERE'S rapproachment! Can you imagine how screwed up inside a Dwarf-Ent hybrid would be? Probably would have an inexplicable desire to go after his family with an axe

As for forking dwarf women toe hair, I'll back away from that thought carefully.....my mental imaging software overrode itself to protect me from being scarred psychically for life.....LOL!
Old 09-01-2005, 12:12 AM   #209
jerseydevil

Rebirth of 1st post - 10,000th post - Arwen ruined Frodo's line

Now that I posted my 10,000th post - I wanted to revive my very first post on entmoot which is on Page two of this thread.

Quote:
Like others - I don't have a problem with them expanding Arwen's charcter - although it wasn't expanded as much as advertising would lead someone to believe.

I figured that Arwen was going to replace Glorfindel - but I thought that whole scene from Weathertop to Bruinen made Frodo look weak.

Frodo's line - "By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" I feel was key to expressing Frodo's strength against the Ring and his determination to fight - something the humans and others lacked.

Also - what was the deal with making him "die" after the crossing and Arwen bringing him back to life?
There we are. I always hated Arwen and continue to despise these dumb down hollywoodized films.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 09-01-2005, 11:10 AM   #210
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i think one of the main goals of pj was to put a strong female character in the first movie... remember, for some audience members it may have been their very first exposure to tolkien period

frodo proves his strength all over the place throughout the movie... and he doesn't die either, he just goes unconcious (like in the book)

personally, i would have preferred this part to be more book-like with glorfindel and all, but it's not that bad
Old 09-02-2005, 12:00 AM   #211
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Now that I posted my 10,000th post - I wanted to revive my very first post on entmoot which is on Page two of this thread.
Hey next time revive your first thread, you know, the one nobody responded too

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:37 PM   #212
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

At least they didn't do it like they did in the Ralph Bakhshi animated movie, where it was Legolas who took Glorfindel's place.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:54 AM   #213
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
At least they didn't do it like they did in the Ralph Bakhshi animated movie, where it was Legolas who took Glorfindel's place.
In some ways Bakshi did a better job than PJ in bringing LOTR to film. (IMO)

»The Battle at Weathertop
»Flight to the Ford
»Bree
»General portrayal of Gandalf
»General portrayal of Aragorn
»General portrayal of the Black Riders

to name few things.

Of course PJ did get some things better than Bakshi.

»The Shire and most of the party (Merry&Pippen was not done well IMO)
»The fight with the Balrog
»Most of the scenery, music and costumes.
»General image of Sam. (Bakshi did a bad job animating Sam IMO)
»General portrayal of Boromir.
»Many of the larger battle scenes.
(almost anything would look better than what Bakshi did with the animated/live action scenes. I could sympathize though with Bakshi in his use of animated/live action scenes. CGI was not available and there was no low cost effective method available to portray some parts of LOTR into cinema.)

In general, although there were many faults with Bakshi's LOTR, it seemed to me that he made more of an effort to stay closer to the spirit of LOTR than PJ. (This does not mean that I did not like anything from PJ's LOTR, but that PJ could have done better.)

(although with the budget & technology that PJ had to work with, I would have hoped/expected that PJ could have done a better job. This can be further discussed in the many threads that have been opened previously if needed.)

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:23 PM   #214
Rconsole
Elven Warrior

Tom Bombadil

I missed Bombadil
but at least they gave Treebeard some of his lines...and scenes

(especially the part where the hobbits prance around naked )

But most of all I would really have liked to see the scouring of the shire (but that's in ROTK), that was my main disappointement, but they made up for it with a couple things too.

Last edited by Rconsole : 09-24-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Rconsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 08:22 PM   #215
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

Umm...just remember, you can only fit so much into PG-13, Rconsole...
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:17 PM   #216
Tree Dweller
Elven Warrior

Location: The bulls-eye for recent hurricanes, but I still love these white sands....nothing compares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
i think one of the main goals of pj was to put a strong female character in the first movie... remember, for some audience members it may have been their very first exposure to tolkien period

frodo proves his strength all over the place throughout the movie... and he doesn't die either, he just goes unconcious (like in the book)

personally, i would have preferred this part to be more book-like with glorfindel and all, but it's not that bad

I am one of those who saw first, read later. (At least for the first 2 books)
When I went back to read FOTR and found Arwen was not in that part, I was a little bit disappointed (in the movie, not the book). But I don't think it made a real difference in the big picture. I was still completely drawn into Middle Earth through that film and even more delighted once I read Tolkien's words.

-------------------------------------------
I always liked going South, somehow it feels like going downhill.
Treebeard

-------------------------------------------

~*~Diary of a Beach Bum~*~
Tree Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote