Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-2000, 11:57 AM   #1
Fat middle

A new hope

Surely, many of you have already read the new update of McKellen´s webpage. i want to focus only in one question now:
Quote:
Q: I hope that Peter Jackson will have a convincing explanation for how he can, as you say, "protect the source material from commercial encroachments" and have Liv Tyler do battle with 20 Uruk-Hai (cf. her interview). We non-filmmaking Tolkienists may be entirely ignorant of scriptwriting and cinematic narrative, but we do know the original, which never at any point featured the martial prowess of Arwen Undomiel. Your assurances are less than assuring in this instance.

A: Sorry you aren't happy but I didn't write the screenplay and suggest you address your concerns to those who did! You might be encouraged by the fact that scripts often change during filming.
You have to be a jerk to ask that question to one of the major people of the film (though i cannot say i don´t share the feelings of the questioner), but his "braveness" has won the prize of a little jewel: that last sentence of Mckellen "You might be encouraged by the fact that scripts often change during filming".

I think he would never pick that question to be answered if he had nothing important to say. Speaking without words?