Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2005, 01:54 PM   #81
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I knew one of my Hobbit buddies would think of the guard get zonked on that Dorwinion wine!
Old 01-04-2005, 08:52 PM   #82
Ezora
Hobbit

Extended version

The extended version of the lord of the rings trilogy is way better, especially the scene in return of the king when peter jackson gets shot with an arrow by legolas, that scene rocks
Ezora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #83
Ezora
Hobbit

Who else has the extended version???
Ezora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:46 PM   #84
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

(I've watched the movie, the cast commantery, and the directors commentery, also a little bit of disk 3) My review:

BAD:
Aragorn & the Palantir: Wha? That bit was confusing...why does Souron give a darn about Arwen? Aragorn should have been much more commanding.
Omitted scenes: Loads of sences PJ said (in the directors commentary) that he was "Saving for the 25th aniversary edition," many of which I would've like to see, such as the ending for Legolas and Gimli

Dissapointing:
The mouth of Souron: I liked his mouth...sort of...but he wasn't like I'd imagined him...I'd sort of imagined a weird cross between Saruman and Aragorn...not a mouth
Gandalf and the WK: ...That was a really pathetic bit. Besides, dosn't Gandalf have his staff again 5 minutes later? (I could be wrong..)
The houses of healing: What they had was nice, but I expected much, much more..

OK:
The director/writer commentery: I thought they could have justified some things better then they did.

Good:
Pippin and Faramir: Very lovely bits, I loved the idea of their realationship, esp. becouse Merry has a (Non-romantic) realationship with Eowyn, so it sort of fit.
Merry and Eowyn: That scene made me want to cry *sniff*
Gandalf and the smoking: Well, I hate smoking, and since thay'd made Gandalf an idiot anyway, why not put in some "anti-smoking propaganda"
The Cast commentery: Those guys are funny!
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:50 PM   #85
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn_iz_cool
....Gandalf and the WK: ...That was a really pathetic bit. Besides, dosn't Gandalf have his staff again 5 minutes later? (I could be wrong..)....
if you are thinking of the bit when he hits denethor in the tombs, it was actually a pike that he "stole" fro one of the doorwards
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:21 PM   #86
Manveru
Elven Warrior

i do but u probably couldve just posted that in the mooter review thread
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:58 AM   #87
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn_iz_cool
The Cast commentery: Those guys are funny!
Oh, speaking of the Cast Commentary, did you not love that bit of Bernard Hill's with the flaming parachute- when Denethor makes his flying leap off the keel of MT? That was hilarious.

I have to say I missed the rooster crowing when the Rohirrim came to save the day. It's just a 'real' element, something that anchors you to reality instead of fantasy. I was disappointed that they stick it in there.

I think I can fairly say that from all veiwpoints that drinking game was just downright idiotic.

And I'd like to add that Billy Boyd did a far better job of looking like the Palantir had a power of its own than Viggo Mortensen did. Granted, Billy gets the works, while Viggo's supposed to look like he's weilding the thing, but I still think Billy acted better.

Can I ask a simple question? If Faramir is portrayed as kind of the brainiac-non-warrior fellow, then why does he describe himself as skipping his 'lessons' in order to fight dragons? It doesn't make too much sense to me. But, the scene is cute.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!

Last edited by Rosie Gamgee : 01-05-2005 at 10:59 AM.
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:37 PM   #88
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
Can I ask a simple question? If Faramir is portrayed as kind of the brainiac-non-warrior fellow, then why does he describe himself as skipping his 'lessons' in order to fight dragons? It doesn't make too much sense to me. But, the scene is cute.
You're right. I looked at that comment as somewhat metaphorical (obviously he couldn't really be fighting dragons... not to mention, weren't there only two left after the First Age? I read that somewhere...)

Anyway... I finally saw the movie... with sound! My computer's finally fixed. I don't have any more complaints to add to the ones stated earlier about the movie itself... though I didn't like about half of the new scenes... especially the palantir and the Mouth of Sauron (which had been one of my favourite parts in the book too )

Of course, watching on a computer isn't the greatest experience. My brother got bored after the first two scenes and we ended up watching really dramatic battle scenes with Grease music playing in the background. "The Seige of Gondor" with "Greased Lightning" drowning out the sound is hilarious, btw...

I was watching some of the "Appendices" disks (earlier, without sound ), and at one point they were talking briefly about the Silmarillion and the fall of the Noldor do to a desire for knowledge...

Did I misread the Silmarillion or something?

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:43 PM   #89
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
Of course, watching on a computer isn't the greatest experience. My brother got bored after the first two scenes and we ended up watching really dramatic battle scenes with Grease music playing in the background. "The Seige of Gondor" with "Greased Lightning" drowning out the sound is hilarious, btw...
Ha ha!!! Oh, man, I hate that movie- Grease. That has got to be funny, though. I think the silliest things to do with movies is to turn the volume all the way down and dub lines. It's hilarious. I always wanted to try it with music, though. Mozart's A little Night Music to the kick-butt fight at the end of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:11 PM   #90
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I did finally see it on New Year's Eve (and into New Year's Day - until like 3:00 am ), btw.

Now I'm just wondering... is there any way to cut out the decapitation of MoS from my EE?

I like the idea of the music though. Try "Desperado" when Elrond gives Anduril to Aragorn and tells him to give up his rangerin' ways... I for one, practically hear it anyway.

I too wish the adds had not deviated from the book. I think it was largely book fans who would go out and buy the EE... it would have been nice if we'd gotten what we really wanted... more Tolkien - instead of more Jackson.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:07 PM   #91
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
i wish there was scouring of the shire, that was a real bummer...
Old 01-05-2005, 09:24 PM   #92
Manveru
Elven Warrior

and a better house of healing
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:07 AM   #93
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

valandil!! another thread to be merged
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:34 AM   #94
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
valandil!! another thread to be merged
merged

Ezora, welcome to Entmoot. We generally try to avoid redundant threads, so I have merged the one you started with one we already had. There are plenty of threads around here, so before starting a new one, please check if posting to an existing one would suffice. The 'search' function can be helpful for finding threads on about any topic.

Meanwhile, go introduce yourself in the 'Official Welcome' thread at the top if General Messages.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #95
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Finally. At last have I seen the EE. and gosh. magnificent. splendid. outragous. and some other things.
but as always, there are some bad grips that easily could have been fixed, I think. I still think they could have added the scouring, and Saruman should have been killed there. but I am very glad Gandalf broke his staff. I missed that in the original one.
but there is so much new stuff, I can't really complain.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:53 PM   #96
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
As a RABID Brad Dourif fan, when I saw that little "backstabbing" addition I just about DIED!

too bad Legolas shot him.

Bloody stupid actually that they added a death and took out the Scouring.

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Katt_knome_hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #97
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
I did finally see it on New Year's Eve (and into New Year's Day - until like 3:00 am ), btw.

Now I'm just wondering... is there any way to cut out the decapitation of MoS from my EE?
Watching LotR at 3am? Never a good idea... Ah, what college has done to me. But yeah... I wish I could cut the decapitation out too. Though, that... thing is just so freakish and not what I had imagined that I have no problem skipping the whole scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
I too wish the adds had not deviated from the book. I think it was largely book fans who would go out and buy the EE... it would have been nice if we'd gotten what we really wanted... more Tolkien - instead of more Jackson.
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytt
but there is so much new stuff, I can't really complain.
I can.

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 01-07-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:46 PM   #98
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
Watching LotR at 3am? Never a good idea... Ah, what college has done to me. But yeah... I wish I could cut the decapitation out too. Though, that... thing is just so freakish and not what I had imagined that I have no problem skipping the whole scene.
I LOVE watching LotR at 3am! Actually, last night was a Black Adder night.

What's wrong with the decapitation scene? Besides it being unrealistic? It makes such a beautifull image where the King of the Nazgul is revealed from his beasts dying wings. Beautiful.

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Katt_knome_hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:08 PM   #99
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt_knome_hobbit
What's wrong with the decapitation scene? Besides it being unrealistic? It makes such a beautifull image where the King of the Nazgul is revealed from his beasts dying wings. Beautiful.
I believe that we are all (well, besides you ) talking about the scene where Aragorn lops off the head of the Mouth of Sauron. It doesn't fit with the rules of parley (I guess PJ thought they were more what you call guidelines). But I do like the part where Dernhelm slays the Nazgul-steed. True enough to the book (the decapitation itself, not the ensuing dialogue- Gol, I HATE what they did..... *goes into uncontrolable muttering and hitting forehead on the doorpost*)- and the thing with the wings and the WK rising in slow-mo is really great.

Old 01-22-2005, 04:10 PM   #100
Garbo
Hobbit

Theoden

I that is the main reason the took the witch king scene out according to the commentry, is they felt they had spent so long establishing the witch king as the ultimade badass, then to have him fly away without killing Gandalf when he had the chance. Although I'm glad this scene was put back in as i think it makes the appearence of the rohirm mean more. I also like that the charge of the rohirm isn't broken up anymore, as before it showed most of the charge, then broke to gandalf and pippen, then back to it, showing that awesome fraz muir style wideshot of them ploughing through all the orcs on their horses.

I like part after the paths of the dead , with the aragorns look showing as all hope is lost, i'd seen that shot in the trailers before and always wondered where it was from. I'd also like to have seen the scenes showing what happened to the rest of the fellowship, it briefly shows them in one of the docmentrys Although they woulld have added to the already long ending, this is the dvd edition so people don't have to view it in onel ike the other, and i'm pure PJ once said his prefered versions are the theatrical releases. I also liked the mouth of Sauron and think it makes their final fight more meaningful as they think frodo is dead and are just doing the honourable thing.
Garbo is offline   Reply With Quote