Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-05-2004, 04:54 AM   #1
Victoria
Sapling

Strider What's The Best Fight Scene In The Trilogy For You??

Hey guys...just curiously, since we're all big fans of the books and the movies, what did you think was the best fight scene in the Trilogy?

My personal favorite was in FOTR where Aragorn takes on the big group of Uruk-Hai and eventually cuts the head of the leader in the end.

What about all of you??
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:23 AM   #2
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i liked the first defeat of sauron that opened up fellowship best... the eowyn/merry/nazgul fight is high on my list too
Old 02-05-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

This is hard to choose, but I really liked the Eagles attacking the Nazgul, I loved the formation they came in and then their dive bombing spin tactic
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:35 AM   #4
Beor
founder of the color blue

Gimli

I like when Gandalf took down the Balrog. I thought it was pretty well done.

Close second: It wasnt really a battle scene, so to speak, but I really liked when Faramir rode against Osgiliath and Pippin was singing. I thought it was pretty good filming (if thats the right word)
Old 02-05-2004, 11:51 AM   #5
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

While it's been criticized on the Entmoot, I thought Strider's battle with the nazgul at Amon Sul was well done, and pretty much as I've imagined it. (Although, as has been observed, the nazgul must have carried spare cloaks).

And I agree with Beor, the whole scene with Faramir and his suicide squad from leaving Minas Tirith to cutting away just before the climax of the charge, and Pippin's [dirge?], was brilliant- and chilling, and would have been more so, if not for PJ's botching of Denethor's character.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 02-05-2004 at 11:53 AM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 02:54 PM   #6
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Close call, but I think Aragorn, Boromir, Legolas and Gimli fighting the Uruks on Amon Hen was best, with Eowyn and Merry vs. Witch King coming in a close second.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 09:23 PM   #7
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

the saruman and yoda fight scene *nods*

sorry...

ents at isengard.
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:39 PM   #8
ryttu3k
Enting

Amon Hen was pretty cool, but I agree with Luinilwen... the Ents at Isengard. I love the music there, too.

As a close second, Sam's fight with Shelob was excellent, and I think the entire audience drew in a collective "OOH!" at Merry stabbing the Witch King...

AH! No! How could I forget - the charge of the Rohirrim!
ryttu3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:30 AM   #9
Mrs Maggot
Enting

I really like the scene in RotK where the Rohirrim ride against the orcs on the Pelennor fields, as well as Helm's Deep (except for the Legolas skateboarding bit). I think the rain adds to the atmosphere and the scale is just massive… it's awesome.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:31 AM   #10
Sween
im quite stupid

Just for its sheer simplicity and despiration the ride of Theoden and Aragorn from Helms deep allways does it for me ther shot of them mowing down the causeway into the vast army is just so good. And infact thats one of the truest transitions from tolkiens own work it was for death and glory
Old 02-06-2004, 06:36 AM   #11
Millane
The Dude

its hard for me to see past the lack of blood and the fact that the swords bound off orcs etc... I would have to agree that Amon Hen was the my favourite though, up with Boromir and Aragorn, and it was also at the time when Legolas wasnt taking armies by himself, i dont know if i could handle Legolas running to kill Lurtz
Old 02-06-2004, 09:44 PM   #12
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
its hard for me to see past the lack of blood and the fact that the swords bound off orcs etc...
true true, i had a problem with this as well. and of course me and millane wish it looked a little more like last samurai.

MOBSCENE
Old 02-06-2004, 11:45 PM   #13
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I liked the moments leading up to Helm's Deep more than the battle itself. Fitting the boys and old men with armour, Theoden's monologue, and the general mood of desparation of it all were perfect.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 01:26 AM   #14
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

The charge of the Rohirrim in RotK (at the Pelennor Fields)!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 12:08 PM   #15
matthew
Enting

I liked the ride of the Rohirrim at the Pellenor Fields. I have to hairsplit about the scene on Amon Sul. Aragorn was carrying narsil at that point, and he fought with just a flaming brand. Also, how the heck did legolas kill that mumak by himself? when he shot the 3 arrows into its head, he needed to rip the fletches off or his bow would break. And have you noticed Legolas does WAY to much skateboarding (first @ helms deep with the orc-shield, and then he slid down the mumak trunk)? Gimli doesn't get enough good fighting parts.
I thought movie was not great on fighting, but the rest was great.

Flame me. Go ahead.

Matthew in 2028. One by one we're bringing them back.

Vote Nader.

Stop the hamster eaters!!!!

End global warming! Turn on the AC!!!

Gadzooks! Run!
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 10:15 PM   #16
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

Aragorn was carrying a common Ranger Sword (stupid movie!) and he did fight with it.
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 10:27 PM   #17
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

The charge of the Rohirrim was the best 'group' fight scene (until they started weaving in and out of the Mumakil).

Eowyn and Merry's battle with the Witch-king was the best 'individual' fight scene, and best in overall, IMO.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 03:23 AM   #18
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by thranduil
true true, i had a problem with this as well. and of course me and millane wish it looked a little more like last samurai.

MOBSCENE
damn straight... hahahahhaa whats with mOBSCENE
Old 02-09-2004, 09:17 AM   #19
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Oh, there's so many!!
I thought the Rohirrim charging anytime, but especially down the hill at Helm's Deep was great. And the Amon Hen sequence was great to. And the Ents tearing up Isengaurd. And the prolouge sequence.
Quote:
Close second: It wasnt really a battle scene, so to speak, but I really liked when Faramir rode against Osgiliath and Pippin was singing. I thought it was pretty good filming (if thats the right word)
oooo!! That was so sad, but it was cool. I almost cried then and I never cry during movies.
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:31 PM   #20
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
The charge of the Rohirrim in RotK (at the Pelennor Fields)!
You mean that whole MelGibsinion bit "We will fight for our

FREEDOM!!!!!"
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote