Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-09-2003, 02:06 PM   #1
azalea
Long lost mooter

I found it sad that the great character of Gollum was cheapened like that. I'm a killjoy, I know. I just think someone really goofed there. Just because people will think something's funny doesn't mean it ought to be done.
Anyway, I thought Elijah and Sean were cute accepting their award, and then it was funny when PJ accepted the other award.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 07:54 PM   #2
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I agree Azalea, I was dissappointed to see that. But that seems to happen a lot. They think it's funny to debase people and characters. It's kind of sad

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
then it was funny when PJ accepted the other award.
"lets kill the bastard!"
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 12:23 PM   #4
TopazJedi
Elven Warrior

Quote:
It was a very funny thing indeed. Also, afterwards, it showed a clip of Elijah Wood in the audience, and you could see him mouthing the words, "That was soo awesome!"
Umm, actually, i think what he said was "That was f***ing awsome!". Bad Lij. I don't think it was such a stretch to have Gollum cursing. If Gollum had known those words, he probably would have used them, rotten little stinker that he is. But notice that Smeagol never did curse, only Gollum. An important distinction, i think.

Quote:
"lets kill the bastard!"
Is that what he said? Hahaha! I laughed soo hard on that part!

I just have to add TTT WON BEST PICTURE!!!! Those Mtv people must have some sense after all! Does anyone know what FOTR won last year, or if it was even nominated for anything. I probably wouldn't have watched it this year if it hadn't been for my tendancy to channel surf.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:31 PM   #5
Celumëriën
Sapling

Gollum dobby

omg!!That was hilarious!!! Especially what he said bout Dobby!!! That was like the funniest thing ever!
Celumëriën is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 05:33 PM   #6
Salquënòrëwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
"lets kill the bastard!"
OMG! I thought that was sooo funny for some reason!
Salquënòrëwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 05:54 PM   #7
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

funniest thing ever, go Gollum. you kick a$$
Doby sucks, and he is a f*g, as gollum would say

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 01:30 PM   #8
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

My friend was raving about that yesterday. He thought it was great. (He like LotR too so he's cool.) I'm really sad now because I don't have cable; I'm unable to watch that even if they air it again. Although maybe there's a bootleg on Kazaa if I get a sudden urge to see what everyone's talking about.

About the cursing, I think they know the real Gollum wouldn't know/use those words, but I think it was just for humor. Like, to make it seem as if he was an actor who played Gollum accepting the award, and doing his act. It sounds kinda weird but Walt Disney animators do it all the time with their cartoons.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:34 PM   #9
Salquënòrëwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo
It sounds kinda weird but Walt Disney animators do it all the time with their cartoons.
Except they don't cuss (hopefully...)
Old 06-14-2003, 12:03 AM   #10
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by TopazJedi
Does anyone know what FOTR won last year, or if it was even nominated for anything. I probably wouldn't have watched it this year if it hadn't been for my tendancy to channel surf.
FOTR won two awards - Best breakthrough male performance (Orlando Bloom) and Best movie.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:17 AM   #11
straight_face
Enting

Apparently the people of today enjoy seeing "big" movie characters make fools of themselves and speak bleeped out cuss words. It makes me rather ashamed. What would Tolkien think? (Well, in that case, what would he think about what has been done to the movies?) That was extremely disappointing.
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 12:13 PM   #12
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

I was somewhat insulted at Gollum's 'acceptence speech'. I have always taken pride in the fact that the Lord of the Rings movies don't have any bad language in them.

I suppose it could have been seen as humorous, but I was not happy about it.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:00 AM   #13
Frodo_is_all_mine
Sapling

Tom Bombadil

That gollum part was soooooooooooooooooo hilarious!!!!!!! So was the part when PJ was excepting the award for best battle scene for HD. All my choices won except best Male Actor.......Emieniem won!!!!!BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!LOL !!!!

Sam:OH NO NOT THAT!!!!

Frodo:Yes another sequel!!!!

Sam: Oh S*** here we go again.
Frodo_is_all_mine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 02:04 AM   #14
Frodo_is_all_mine
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
i think it has if you have the channel for mtv but they will show it again......i was watching it for about an hour and then my dad came and kicked me out because he wanted to watch golf. i missed the gollum part but hopefully i see it again
They do show it again....I saw it three days after.

Sam:OH NO NOT THAT!!!!

Frodo:Yes another sequel!!!!

Sam: Oh S*** here we go again.
Frodo_is_all_mine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:09 AM   #15
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

When I was abroad I saw a repeat of the MTV movie awards (with Italian subtitles and all ). I was littteraly rolling on the floor laughing when Gollum made his appearance
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:21 AM   #16
Ararax
Elven Warrior

ok i have the clip if anyone wants it, just im me prefferably on DSL/CABLE but ill try for anyone its 8 MB video and all if you have mirc i can do that to

Last edited by Ararax : 06-18-2003 at 11:22 AM.
Ararax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 09:15 AM   #17
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I saw the award show the other day and thought it was hilarious. Considering the MTV awards have a tradition of being profanity-filled, no one should have been surprised by Gollum's acceptance speech. In many ways, it was the biggest and funniest spoof ever on award show acceptance speeches -- particularly Disney/Muppet character acceptance speeches.

Will the Tolkien estate like it? Like everything associated with the films (except, of course, the huge increase in book sales they've generated for the Tolkien family), the Christopher Tolkien and the Tolkien Estate will hate it. But it was meant as a silly spoof and nothing more.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 09:39 AM   #18
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

All these posts and no links to a video clip. You guys must be streaming video challenged. Here are two small sizes of the award scene for best virtual performance, at the onering. They use quicktime player:

Medium-small Size Image
Small Size Image

On modem they can take a while to load. It starts with the MTVs theme intro this lyear of with the dorky cartoon superheros.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 06-22-2003 at 09:58 AM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 09:56 AM   #19
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvengirl
Where did Gollum learn to use such foul language? I was shocked
The orcs in the misty mountains of course. CT in HoME says that their vile langaues is basicly a stream of curses and scatalogical references with a few other words inserted.

At the end of the clip it shows Elijah Woods in the adudiance applaudding and saying something to his neighbor, which can not be heard but lip read looks a lot like "That was ****ing awsome".
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 06-22-2003 at 10:00 AM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:22 PM   #20
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I'm sure The Professor would be QUITE proud.

Two fingers up for cheapening the life's works of a truly good and decent man. And it ain't V for Victory.

Someone really let down the guardianship of Tolkien's licensing here.

They could have gotten laughs and not thrown Gollum into the gutter with the rest of the societal trash.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote