Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-30-2004, 05:15 AM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Garden State the Movie and Soundtrack

I was just wondering who has seen this movie. I saw it twice. I was sort of upset that they didn't have it at the NJ Film Festival though. The DVD comes out December 28th and I can't wait. This is also the first CD I have bought in years. The soundtrack is great.

My liking it actually has nothing with it being filmed and taking place in NJ though that I like it. The movie just has a surreal dream like quality and Natalie Portman is great in the movie. I'm not even sure how Zack Braff (of scrubs) the writer, director and actor AND fellow New Jerseyan can really say that it necessarily puts NJ in a good light since the characters are pretty strange. I know Jonathan went to see it on Sunday - still waiting for his thoughts on it - (hint hint Jonathan if you read this)

It's a great movie and I highly recommend it to people. Ruinel and I saw it when she visited and she really liked it also.

(I'm listening to the soundtrack right now as I work on my website). What are people's favorite scenes and song?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:49 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

JD likes Natalie... JD likes Natalie....

Hasn't come out yet, over here, I don't think. But I soooo want to see - might check out the movies today. I LOVE that guy from scrubs (also a JD).
Old 11-30-2004, 06:57 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I saw Garden State. It's definitely one of my favorite movies.

I especially like the scene where the main character has that important talk with Ian Holm (his father in the movie). He puts his hand on his chest, and Ian never verbally responds. It was a very real moment. I felt it was a really honest movie, about quirky but somehow believable and broken people.

Another great scene was when the protagonist closes the fridge door, and Ian Holm is standing right there. The son is startled, and they have a conversation in which Holm is kind of a jerk, but as he walks away, almost out of sight of the camera, he turns and says "Sorry for frightening you." That's the kind of thing that doesn't need to be in there, but it just makes the scene. It brings the characters alive, and I have a feeling that Ian Holm improvised it.

Natalie Portman was amazing in this movie, and I thought it was her best performance that I've seen. Her character as Padme Amidala was by contrast unemotional, and as a character seemingly undemanding. Portman does so much better as the fun, giggly, slightly insecure young woman who can't help but tell little lies.

It's a movie, I feel, with a good message, and interesting things to say about life.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:59 PM   #4
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
And your point is? I love when natalie is talknig to zack in the doctors office when they first meet and she's sitting in the waiting room chair.
Quote:
Hasn't come out yet, over here, I don't think. But I soooo want to see - might check out the movies today.
Lin saw a billboard advertising it in Australia - so I think it should be there soon. I'm hoping she'll be able to see it before she leaves for China. Jonathan told me he really liked the movie and he really likes the soundtrack (I sent it to him) *damn - the music cops are at my window*
Quote:
I LOVE that guy from scrubs (also a JD).
I've only watched Scrubs a couple of times. I was going to try seeing about remembering to watch it more often.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-30-2004, 09:01 PM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Ooh, I want the soundtrack tooooooo.....

Well, I nipped down right after I posted on here, and it was on. FANTASTIC movie, freakin' awesome soundtrack. In fact, I went to try and track the soundtrack down, and I couldn't find it, curse-it-all. It was surprisingly well directed considering that it was his first movie. There were some really great shots - I especially liked it in the beginning in the plane, and later when his dad was calling him, and he was almost catatonic in bed. I love both of their characters as well, the numb guy, and the neurotic compulsive liar. Some stuff didn't quite gell, like the dog humping him, but they're minor quibbles. I also liked how the movie didn't pass judgement on the ancillary characters in the movie... Definitely gonna see it again - gonna drag the BF along.

So... JD... what's it gonna take to get the soundtrack off you? A recitation on how great NJ is?

<edit> AND REMEMBER TO WATCH SCRUBS!!

Last edited by BeardofPants : 11-30-2004 at 09:02 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:42 PM   #6
jerseydevil

Quote:
So... JD... what's it gonna take to get the soundtrack off you? A recitation on how great NJ is?
Well - when I first read that you wanted the soundtrack and then couldn't find it - I was going to offer to e-mail it to you. But a recitation of how great NJ is wouldn't hurt. How much space do you have in your inbox?
Quote:
<edit> AND REMEMBER TO WATCH SCRUBS!!
I think it's on Thursdays. I know it's on NBC - I'll have to go through and try to remember now.

Glad you liked the movie. I looked it up on Amazon yesterday and was reading the reviews - there was one review that really represented it for me.

Quote:
It'll change your life...I swear, November 7, 2004
Reviewer: Julie A. Castellano "fellow twentysomething" (New York, United States) - See all my reviews

This movie will have you staring blankly at the ending credits while you desperately try to process every moment of brilliance that just transpired.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-30-2004, 09:51 PM   #7
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

That movie was one of my favorites. A friend of mine kept nagging me to see it ("it's great." "Best movie I've seen" etc etc) and I finally went. The acting was really good, especially Natalie Portman who is just fantastic.

The scene with the hamster cracked me up. Repeatedly. I don't think it is supposed to, quite, but it did.

And the scene in the doctor's waiting room is brilliant.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:55 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
....How much space do you have in your inbox?
I have gmail.

But don't worry, I've already managed to get some tracks off that thing that must not be named. I'm particularly taken by the Shins, and zero 7.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #9
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:

Hasn't come out yet, over here, I don't think. But I soooo want to see - might check out the movies today. I LOVE that guy from scrubs (also a JD).
I was about to tease him the same way, but I remembered he doesnt like Natalie as much as he likes Katie...Katie Holmes
*pats JD on the back*

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote