Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-18-2006, 03:53 AM   #1
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

The Atrocities Of Christianity

I'm posting this thread, provided there are no objections, primarily for discussion of the evils done in the name of Christ. Discussion is also welcome of the good that Christianity has brought in the world.

Here, discussion can occur of people like Hitler and the Nazis, and whether the Holocaust can be attributed to Christianity. Other discussions such as the Inquisition, Crusades or other also can occur.

Positive aspects of Christianity, such as Christians' bringing the end of the Roman Gladiatorial Games, becoming the source of culture, art and literature in Europe for hundreds of years, and ending violent practices in other religions through missionary work, or other, are also welcome.

The thread is primarily here for discussing the evils, but conversing about the good also is on-topic.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Among the Big 4- Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism, I'll give Christianity 3 stars (out of five)- it loses for intolerance, but gains for oppositon to slavery, stronger position for women, and strength of individualism.

Buddhism- same score; points for tolerance and non-violence, loses for passive attitude to remediable evil. There is a very active Buddhist charitable organisation here in Taiwan- they did a wonderful job on tsunami relief- but it was set up in response to Christian charities, and largely modelled on them.

Islam- 1 1/2 to 2- too much fanaticism, rights of women, rigidity since the splendours of the Golden Age.

Hinduism- same score- traditional tolerance too strongly offset by caste system.
GreyMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Oh boy have you opened a huge can of worms and I don't mean as in Martin Luther.

Get out your 10' pole and oven mits 'cause you're going to need them.

goes in search of his flame retardant suit and extinguisher grande
Old 04-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyMouser
Among the Big 4- Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism, I'll give Christianity 3 stars (out of five)- it loses for intolerance, but gains for oppositon to slavery, stronger position for women, and strength of individualism.

Buddhism- same score; points for tolerance and non-violence, loses for passive attitude to remediable evil. There is a very active Buddhist charitable organisation here in Taiwan- they did a wonderful job on tsunami relief- but it was set up in response to Christian charities, and largely modelled on them.

Islam- 1 1/2 to 2- too much fanaticism, rights of women, rigidity since the splendours of the Golden Age.

Hinduism- same score- traditional tolerance too strongly offset by caste system.
Extremism and fanaticism of ALL stripes have only proven to be a pox on humanity. I think the “my religion is bigger then your religion” pissing contests are a hopeless endeavor in denial and rather worthless (in fact damaging). Too many people cant see the forest for the trees because they have such a stake in their own tree.

So whos gonna be the first to say “Yes but…”

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Yes, but I like my tree...

This topic sounds scary...
Old 04-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Discussion is also welcome of the good that Christianity has brought in the world.

*snip*
Positive aspects of Christianity, such as Christians' bringing the end of the Roman Gladiatorial Games, becoming the source of culture, art and literature in Europe for hundreds of years, and ending violent practices in other religions through missionary work, or other, are also welcome.
That's way off-topic! *points to "Atrocities of Christianity"* See?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:28 PM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

There's plenty of atrocities committed by people of ALL beliefs, Christians included.

I think a more interesting (and informative) question would be: which atrocities are called for, or permitted, etc., by the various belief systems? After all, a person can call themselves a Christian or a Muslim, but if they do things that aren't supported by the tenets of the Christian or Muslim faith, then it can hardly be held against that faith.

For example, the only instance I've seen of Hitler supporting his atrocities with a verse in the New Testament is when he mentions the verse about Jesus chasing the Jewish moneychangers and sellers of sacrificial animals out of the temple. Hitler apparently takes that verse and bases his policy of killing Jews on it. However, Hitler completely ignores the many instances of Jesus loving other Jews, so I hardly think his claim is valid.

Anyway, just a thought, but it's your thread, Lief.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #8
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

****consider placing some of this into the Hitler thread also....it would be welcomed****
Old 04-18-2006, 08:20 PM   #9
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

This discussion reminds me of one of my favourite parts in the movie Kingdom of Heaven. Balian is questioning the actions of the Templars, wondering if it is really God's will that they keep murdering the Muslims, and if the Pope really was right in commanding it. Hospitaller says to Balian:
Quote:
I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of God. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. What God desires is here [points to head] and here [points to heart], and by what you decide to do every day will make you a good man... or not.
Many atrocities have been committed in the name of every religion and god out there. Some people go berserk and take a religion's teaching either to the extreme or simply misinterpret it. This alone doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the religion. A faith must be evaluated by its teachings and its basis, not the individual interpretation of such. I am a Christian. The fact that individuals have committed atrocities small and great in the name of their 'religion' annoys me to no end, because not only does it shame me at times to be counted with the bad connotations that they give Christianity, it also besmirches the name of my God.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:22 PM   #10
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

"no one expects The Spanish Inquisition"
Old 04-19-2006, 12:42 AM   #11
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

get out the comfy chair!!!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:52 AM   #12
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I saw one of those chairs firsthand in Carcason. Those torture instruments of the time were just unbelievably horrific .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #13
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie quoting Hospitaller
Holiness is in right action
Right action, incidentally, being part of the Eightfold Path which leads to the Cessation of Pain, according to Buddism. Just a little tidbit of info.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:17 PM   #14
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

So is "being in the moment" , of which this is about Christianity.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:37 PM   #15
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Hey.. where's all the atrocities?

Don't forget Magdeburg...

I would posit that the MAJORITY of actual attributable religious attrocities are directly linkable to sectarian violence WITHIN a religious category.

In other words, Catholic vs Protestant, Sunni Vs Sheite.

People only remember the ones that involve inter-religion strife, because those are usually larger..

But Sectarian strife is almost always more horrific and bloody...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:07 PM   #16
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well people will always find an excuse to divide into tribes and throw nuts at each other from seperate trees. It just so happens religion has provided quite an ample opportunity for such division. But you can certainly add many other things to that list. Politics, culture, race, what soccer team you support, etc. etc...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #17
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I think this thread could go places, but I'm not sure about the approach...
comparing religions is super touchy.

But I'm not going to post anything serious myself, so you guys go ahead

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:49 PM   #18
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Well people will always find an excuse to divide into tribes and throw nuts at each other from seperate trees.
Well my point was that you always find more vitriol when there is a "shared" belief base, with different opinions. Like the US 2 party system. They Democrats and the Republicans are basically the same, except on a couple of points. Those relatively small (in comparison to a monarchist for example) points cause more friction and nastiness than any differences you might see between more disparate viewpoints.

Possibly it's because the views are so close that humans are unable to use their primary defense mechanisms of denial and objectification. It's hard to say the other group is just a bunch of ignorant benighted savages when they share 90% of your belief system.

So you have to resort to de-anthropomorphism. The differences have to be emphasized, and the "other" group demonized...

Otherwise something like civil debate might happen, and you know we can't have that!

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 04-20-2006, 12:54 PM   #19
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Possibly it's because the views are so close that humans are unable to use their primary defense mechanisms of denial and objectification. It's hard to say the other group is just a bunch of ignorant benighted savages when they share 90% of your belief system.
You do have a point, since the islam itself is an offshoot, and strongly rooted in christianity, just as christianity is an offshoot that is strongly rooted in judeism. You see much more conflict between these systems than you do between the less closely-related systems (hindu, buddhist, etc.)
Old 04-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #20
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Yes, they are all "God of Abraham" religions.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...