Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-07-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Elvish Perception of Time

In another thread, we brushed up against the subject of how Elves perceive the passage of time, especially as compared to how Men perceive it. There seemed to be some differences of opinion regarding this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
Right, Pytt. Perhaps I should clarify exactly what I was nitpicking: Elves would conceive the idea of time differently from humans - immortality or even long life nescessitates a somewhat different outlook than mortality does. But they would not percieve its passage any differently.

This distinction is certainly splitting hairs (even for me ), but it's nescessary to counter the all-too-frequent assumption that elves somehow experience existance more slowly than humans. That is false - elves experience time the same way that humans do (which is a large part of the reason they constantly attempted to halt it in places like Rivendell and Lorien), they simply have a longer adult lifespan and so experience more of it. A 144 year old elf would expereince the same duration that a human would if they lived the same time - there's nothing qualitatively different between the way humans and elves (and Maiar, and Valar, and Rodents) experience the passageof time.
In Fellowship of the Ring, it is said, concerning this topic:

Quote:
Nay, time does not tarry ever, but change and growth is not in all things and places alike. For the Elves the world moves, and it moves both swift and very slow. Swift, because they themselves change little, and all else fleets by: it is a grief to them. Slow, because they do not count the running years, not for themselves. The passing seasons are but ripples ever repeated in the long long stream. Yet beneath the Sun all things must wear to an end at last.
Any ideas?

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:49 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I think it comes down to the differentiation between the perception of time. That is, building upon what shannon said, the passage of time passes as physically the same as the time that mortal men run on, BUT the perception of time is differentiated between the mortal and immortal kindred.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:51 PM   #3
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Arwen Undomiel

My take is that the Elves percieve Time just as Men do. As Wayfarer says, immortals just have a different attitude to it. Even humans, as they grow older, see Time differently than children or adolescents do. One of my older patients told me recently that he hadn't even finished breakfast hardly before it was time for lunch. Probably something like that but exponentially different must happen to the Elves.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:57 PM   #4
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Really, I'd bet anything that Elves experience the same things, juston a longer scale.

Recently I found myself looking back and saying 'Man, 2004 is almost done already? Seems like just yesterday it was just 2003. And the whole Y2K thing seems like it was just a little while ago'. Somehow, I imagine that if I were to live for another thousand years, what's to say I wouldn't look back and say 'Man, it's 3000 already? Seems like it was just 2000 a few days ago.'

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that elves don't even percieve time differently. The difference is in the way they remember past events (having much more history to recall) and the manner in which they anticipate future events (without the sense of urgency that comes from being mortal). Since experience only occurs in the present, and time proceeds equally for all entities, any different perception of time is wholly subjective.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:24 PM   #5
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
In fact, I'd go so far as to say that elves don't even percieve time differently. The difference is in the way they remember past events (having much more history to recall) and the manner in which they anticipate future events (without the sense of urgency that comes from being mortal). Since experience only occurs in the present, and time proceeds equally for all entities, any different perception of time is wholly subjective.
I don't think this argument is logical WF. Let's look at our lifespan as compared to an insect's. Many insects' lifespans are over within the passage of a single season. I cannot believe that one season would appear as long for an insect is it would for us.

This seems a bit like saying that everyone sees the world the same way, no matter how large or small they are. If an amoeba had eyes , it could never perceive the world around it the way we do.

And I would like to see you try to prove that time proceeds equally for all entities.

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-10-2004, 12:48 AM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I don't think that the Elves even considered the passage of time until they met Men and especially when Men died. The Sil says that when Beor died "the Elves saw for the first time the swift waning of the lives of Men and the death of weariness that they knew not in themselves." So, the notice and effects of time came with Men to the Elves maybe.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 03:21 PM   #7
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
to elves, hundreds, or even thousands of years could be like human days, even though the same amount of time is passing
Old 12-11-2004, 04:10 PM   #8
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
I don't think that the Elves even considered the passage of time until they met Men and especially when Men died. The Sil says that when Beor died "the Elves saw for the first time the swift waning of the lives of Men and the death of weariness that they knew not in themselves." So, the notice and effects of time came with Men to the Elves maybe.
This makes a lot of sense to me. At least more so than the theory that time seems to pass at different rates for different races. With such long lives, the Elves would have no reason, I believe, to mark time as humans do, and it would have little importance to them until they became familiar with races that time did have a large effect upon. And once they noticed the effects of time upon humans, Elves were still removed from these consequences, so I don't believe they would see the passage of time as humans do, even then.

My DA page

Last edited by Embladyne : 12-11-2004 at 04:15 PM.
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 10:30 PM   #9
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianLegolas
to elves, hundreds, or even thousands of years could be like human days, even though the same amount of time is passing
I disagree with this. The Elves were not really unlike humans, except in their fates and endurance. They live and experienced time the same. The thing with the Elves was that they lived for so long that time became an enemy in a way that stalked them.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-12-2004, 01:03 PM   #10
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
I disagree with this. The Elves were not really unlike humans, except in their fates and endurance. They live and experienced time the same. The thing with the Elves was that they lived for so long that time became an enemy in a way that stalked them.
Yes, I agree. Tolkien said in the Letters that we and the Elves are biologically the same species, since interbreeding produces fertile offspring. Perhaps they perceive the passing of time, to paraphrase Einstein's famous observation, more like the time spent with their lover than in the dentist's chair, but they live in the same continuum as mortal folk.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:59 AM   #11
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

A key to understanding their view of time is their memory, which is photographic. Legolas says that "to Elves memory is more like the waking hours than like a dream". Their can experience their lives of hundreds of years ago as if it were today through their memory. Thus passage of time is not slow, but does not matter much. All their past life is as current to them as is today, its one large combined experience to them, rather than a sequence with the oldest parts fading away before the new. Thdy have no past, but rather a huge present and near present.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 12-16-2004 at 06:09 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:37 AM   #12
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Yes. This is much like what Finrod tried to explain to Andreth in the Athrabeth. Good point Lefty.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-02-2005, 02:36 AM   #13
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Scaevola
Thus passage of time is not slow, but does not matter much.
I agree with this- I think elves have the same perception of time as mortals, but it's really a 'moot point. Hehe.
In dark green ivy, and among wild larches?"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.
Minielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 06:05 AM   #14
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Well... the idea which I keep having is that an elf might think of time differently because he has experienced so much more of it.

It sort of ties into aging. When the two are newborn, they are completely indistinguishable. When they are very young, they are still very similar. Then they start to diverge.

I think at the age of 10, a human and an elf would think of time in almost the same fashion. At the age of 100, they would be biologically different (one young and one old), and so might have different expectations, but they would still think of the past in essentially the same way.

Now, if you were to take a human (say, Tuor) and grant him the longevity of the Eldar, he would experience hundreds, maybe thousands of years. I don't think that Tuor would experience time or percieve its passage any differently when he was mortal - but he would certainly think of it in a slightly different way when he was 1000 than he did when he was 50, but only in the same way that a human in their 60s thinks of time differently than someone in their teens - because they've experienced more.

It's not a matter of there being anything essentially different - it's the matter of perspective. Much like the way someone who has never left the town of their birth might have differing opinions of distance than someone who has circumnavigated the globe.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:00 PM   #15
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

At the moment, I'm taking a bio class on the mechanisms the human brain uses to store memories, and it's interesting to reread this thread with what we've discussed in the class in mind.
I wonder if the way in which elves recall memories would vary from that of the average human, since elves seem to consistantly have such vivid memories. Maybe it would just be the way in which they perceive the recalled memories....

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:33 PM   #16
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Now that I'm, reading one of the many Tolkien encyclopedia's, I have a new theory.

If a Valarian Age is more or less 1000 years long in mortal time, and since the elves (in my mind anyway) are kind of like men who are closer to Valar, perhaps elves experience 500 years in the same amount of time that Men experience 1000 and gods experience 100
Old 01-21-2005, 11:15 PM   #17
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

No.

You're missing the point. Completely. Men, Elves, and Valar are all subject to time - one second passes at the same speed for everyone, unless some sort of temporal distortion has occured (which it hasn't). If they did exist in an altered time rate, humans would move twice as fast as elves and ten times as fast as the valar (basically). That's just not the way it works.

There are differences in the scale of measurement, but those are only for convenience. There isn't any difference in the rate at which events are experienced,
Old 01-22-2005, 01:51 PM   #18
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

I don't know if this is exactly what ItalianLegolas is getting at, but if so, I likewise have wondered if time passes differently in Valinor than in ME... I don't have the quotes to prove it right now...

...and my mom is pulling me off the computer so I can't add anything more right now...

Neil Gaiman
Old 01-22-2005, 02:17 PM   #19
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

that was pretty much what i was going for, it was just a random idea I got when I was reading anyhow.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:13 PM   #20
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I forget exactly how it was explained about how time passed in Valinor in the Years of the Trees, but they went through cycles of 12 twelve hours, and one would wax ehile the other waned. However, I would think for all the lived in Middle-earth, that they experienced the passage of time the same, after the rising of the sun and moon.

Travel and Tourism Guide