Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-15-2001, 08:01 PM   #1
nefelim

The complete History of MIddle Earth

Howdy all. I've been lurking around this board for a while and I just wanted to say that the info here about Tolkien is awesome. I'm still a newcomer to Tolkien and his works (Still haven't read history of Middle Earth series) and I was looking around for a compilation version of those books when I came across The complete history of Middle Earth on Amazon.uk. They advertise that there are three volumes of the complete history forthcoming as well as one version that contains them all. They say it will not be published until October 2001 and will cost 250.00 pounds(or at least I think it is pounds). Am I correct to beleive that all of Tolkien's Middle Earth works are to be compiled into one huge book? I can not find much info on this subject because it is only being released in the UK (I live in the states). Any help or insights would be appreciated.
Old 02-15-2001, 10:33 PM   #2
Fat middle

Re: The complete History of MIddle Earth

welcome to the Entmoot, nefelim

i regret i cannot help you on this, but i'm sure someone will do.

make yourself at home.
Old 02-16-2001, 12:42 AM   #3
DopefishJustin

foo

I saw a couple "history of middle-earth" books at a bookstore that were by Christopher Tolkien (JRR's son). Is this what you're talking about? For that matter, anyone know anything about these? Are they any good? Do I ask too many questions?
Old 02-16-2001, 05:19 AM   #4
Inoldonil

HoME

Dope, see the Histry of Middle Earth books? What are they!?!?!?! thread on the Silmarillion board.
Old 02-16-2001, 05:38 AM   #5
galadriel1

Re: The complete History of MIddle Earth

The History of Middle Earth (HOME as most LotR fans refer to them) is excellent. I believe there are 12 volumes so far. They include: The book of Lost Tales vols. 1 and 2, The Lays of Beleriand, the Shaping of Middle Earth, The Lost Road and Other Writings, The Return of the Shadow, The Treason of Isengard, The War of the Ring, Sauron Defeated, Morgoth`s Ring, and The War of the Jewels (the last two being about the Silmarillion). And I believe the most recent is the Peoples of Middle-Earth. At least, that`s the most recent book in the series that I have. The HOME gives more in depth background into the realm of Middle Earth and show the works in progress and the different revisings Tolkien went through, etc. There is a lot of information and the books can get confusing sometimes because of that. There are others on the board who could tell you more than I can. Many of the posters are much more knowledgable about the in depth Tolkien stuff. I read the books mostly for enjoyment. I try not to analyze the works too much. People tend to over analyze the Silmarillion and the trilogy at times. Some people seem to read them JUST to pick them apart and analyze them. While it is interesting to delve into and analyze the books, read them for the enjoyment also. The HOME series is very informative and does give much insight into Tolkien and his works. A great read for any Tolkien fan.