Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-07-2004, 06:04 AM   #1
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

An Exercise in Writing: Next Paragraphs.

The Rules of this exercise are simple, all posts must continue the story, bu way of each person placing one new paragraph to the story. Constructive criticism is allowed, but no rudeness! I will post the first paragraph, I invite all mooters to prepare a new one.

It was a cold night, he stepped out from his house and noticed something strange; a large black bundle had been left in the lane, as he went towards it, he noticed the smell, it was like rotting tomatoes, and putrid flesh.

Let's see what shall come of this, shalle we?!!
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:54 PM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

He wrinkled his nose and then decidedly kicked the bundle out of his way. "Bloody trash collectors," he muttered as he walked on, "they always forget something."
Old 10-10-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

If he had turned back and looked again, he would have noticed the horrible smelling package gently rustling and trembling, but his thoughts were elsewhere. A neighborhood dog ambled up to the black package, gave a few curious sniffs and started to howl in excitement. "What on earth?"....thought the young man, and he turned back to see what the animal was yelping about.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Blinking in surprise, the young man walked slowly back towards the bundle. The hairs on his neck seemed to stand on end as a strange feeling passed over him--was it coming from the bundle? It was moving around more urgently now, and the horrible smell was growing stronger.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 07:52 PM   #5
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

His grandmother had told him years ago: "I opened a black package that I found lying around near the trash. Who throws these things out I can't imagine. Thinking there might be something valuable inside, I opened it- to my cost. To this day, I have been haunted by a ghost. Whether I'm sleeping, knitting, doing laundry or dishes, no matter what, it pops out at me in the most insane places. It never leaves me a moment's peace. It cackles and jokes in the most maddening manner. Sometimes it even says things that other people hear, in exactly my voice, so that they believe it's me who said those things! You couldn't believe the pranks the creature comes up with- I hate it! Don't you ever go near one of those packages, sonny. Don't you ever! You don't know what you're getting into. Some spirits are evil, some are good, but the black package ones are downright ludicrous! The jokes are stupid and those beasts can drive you out of your mind! Never open one of those packages, my boy. If you see one, run away as fast as you ever can!"
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 10:43 AM   #6
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

"Crazy ol' coot," the boy muttered and, after looking around quickly to make sure no one was in sight, bent down to undo the package. He never dreamed that his grandmother might have been right... horribly right... but in a good way.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 01:51 PM   #7
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Nothing was in the package. The empty, crumpled wrapping paper fell from the young man's hands onto the dank sidewalk, amid the dog poop and cigarette stubs. Yet as the young man tried to walk away, that horrible stench remained with him, sometimes receding and sometimes drawing closer. The vindictive stench clung like a parasite, and the boy was mad.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 06:03 PM   #8
inked
Elf Lord

"Great. Just great!" he thought. "Of all the possible options for existence, I have to an encounter with a sensory impressionate! When will I learn to listen to Grandmom?" He amble down the windstrewn debris that was his pathway, desperately searching his memory for a disentangling spell capable of delivering him from a lifetime of ruined pizza, knowing he would starve if he couldn't get out from under the Ginko tree aura in habiting his nose!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:26 AM   #9
HLGStrider
Hobbit

He didn't notice a set of goggly eyes looking at him from the abandoned sack, frightened but love struck eyes. Eyes that blinked and winked.

The creature drew herself up to her full three feet, twisted her slimey, green body seductively, and followed.
HLGStrider is offline   Reply With Quote