Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-15-2002, 01:46 PM   #1
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Bruce Coville lovers anyone?

He writes really cool stuff, but I haven't ah any luck finding someone who likes his stuff. Spooksville rocks!
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 08:57 PM   #2
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Okay, okay, he's juvenille, but I still stand with the Into the land of the Unicorns!
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-15-2002, 09:51 PM   #3
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

yeah man

i used to love him back in like 2nd, 3rd, 4th grade he writes some cool stuff. didnt he write i left my sneakers in another dimension or something, dont remember any titles but i read alot of his stuff, maybe when i finish reading the sil i will pick up a book by old brucie, any recomendations for getting back into his stuff?

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 03:36 PM   #4
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Yes. THe current best I would say are the Into the land of the Unicorn books andThe Monsters of Mortley Manor. His books tend to be the best for relief from serious reads and to read when your desperate for something to read, but have read to much to actually think about what you're reading. The Spooksville series are cool too.

Old 04-16-2002, 06:27 PM   #5
elf_princess
Elven Warrior

I've read a couple of his books but I forget the titles... one was about a boy who found a dragon's egg and had to take care of it... it was pretty good. I haven't read them for ages though... I think I've read the Monsters of Mortley Manor... sounds familiar.
elf_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 07:07 PM   #6
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

You must mean Jermey Thacher, Dragon Hatcher, that was a cool story. terrific ending too. He's one of the authors you read when you can't stand one more unhappy ending.

Old 04-16-2002, 08:19 PM   #7
elf_princess
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by TwirlingString
You must mean Jermey Thacher, Dragon Hatcher, that was a cool story. terrific ending too. He's one of the authors you read when you can't stand one more unhappy ending.
Yeah! That's it! It was a good book... I'm a sucker for happy endings myself... lol
elf_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 08:29 PM   #8
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

If your looking for another one, try The Skull of Truth. (or is that a happy ending?)

Old 04-17-2002, 10:41 PM   #9
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I read "Aliens Ate My Homework" and I think it was "My Teacher Flunked the Planet". Both were good. I think I vaguely remember "The Monster's Ring" from that old Saturday morning CBS show with Malcolm Jamal Warner. As I recall, it was pretty cool too.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 11:41 PM   #10
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Aliens ate my Homework and my teacher flunked the planet were part of two different series. The Monsters ring is part of the little shop of horrors series which includes, Jermey Thacher Dragon Hatcher, Skull of Truth, and Jennifer Murdley's toad. He wrote the Space Brat books too and the I was a Sixth Grade Aliens.