Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-04-2002, 05:38 AM   #1
Draken
Elf Lord

Authors who should have quite while ahead

Have any of you any thoughts on authors who started off well but who you wish had stopped writing sooner than they did?

For me three that spring to mind are:

Isaac Asimov - the cleverness of his early robot stories and the unique vision of the original Foundation trilogy eventually spoiled by increasingly pedantic efforts to weld them all together.

Frank Herbert - ok Dune was initially meant as a trilogy, but the latter two books in it paled in comparison to the brilliant first book. And the ones that followed went downhill fast.

Robert Heinlein - the energy of his "future history" stories, the imagination of "Stranger in a Strange Land" - if you like these, don't read his last few books.

Anyone agree/disagree, or have some nominations of their own?

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 05:48 AM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Agree with Heinlein. Not with Herbert though. I love all of the Dune series.

Arthur C. Clarke should have stopped with the first space odyssey book. Admittedly I only made it half way through the second one...

Edit:

Forgot about Pratchett's diskworld novels, and Antony's Xanth series. Degenerated to absolute rubbish.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 09-04-2002 at 05:49 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 12:31 AM   #3
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Forgot about Pratchett's diskworld novels,
I love the entire Discworld series. C.S. Lewis flopped on his last two Narnia books though. They weren't nearly as delightful as his earlier ones.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 12:56 AM   #4
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

I see this shall become a matter of some debate.

I don't agree with Narnia going downhill, they all see of about equal worth to me. Dune I'm kind of half-and-half about; the last few books weren't bad, but they definately weren't as good as the original.

I'm tempted to add Brian Jacques; as much as I love Redwall the plots (as well as the character names, has anyone else noticed that?) seem to be drifting into a formula. It's not half so creative or intrigueing in the later books.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 01:42 PM   #5
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I don't agree about Narnia, but C.S. Lewis should have stopped his space novels after Perelandra.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 03:00 PM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I agree with Willow. The last two Narnia- books were a disappointment.

But the disc-world novels are still good. The jokes and random sillyness have dimished, and the puns and cultural references (that I seldom get)have increased. But I still like his last books.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:39 PM   #7
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

i disagree with the chronicles of narnia as well, i thought the silver chair was a great book, i mean it had puddleglum, and the last battle being my least favorite of the series i still thought to be a good book

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 12:10 AM   #8
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
I don't agree about Narnia, but C.S. Lewis should have stopped his space novels after Perelandra.
Perelandra was definately his best fictional work (Til We Have Faces runs a really close second), but That Hideous Strength is most definately worth a read. It's really different than the first two, but still really great
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 05:23 PM   #9
osszie
Elven Warrior

I lost a bit of faith in T. Pratchett........but The Thief of Time has restored me somewhat

As for the Narinia chronicles.........reading them now as an adult (I re-read them last year).........the christian symbolism shines thru a lot more than the plot and characterisation.........

but that is a debate for another time
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 11:08 PM   #10
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I say Robert Jordan. The first few Wheel of Time books were good, but he should have stopped at 3,4,5, in my opinion. And I agree with Menelvagor. I still really like Brian Jacques, but the first few books were alot better than some of the later ones.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 02:24 PM   #11
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I heartily agree about Robert Jordan. He had a good concept, played with it, and then dragged it.

He's still dragging.

I stopped after #7 to take a break, and I simply have too many other books to catch up on in the meantime to go back to Wheel of Time anytime soon.

As for Lewis... I actually rather enjoyed The Last Battle, especially the ending. In fact, I find that The Horse and His Boy was by far the weakest of the entire series. Of course, Narnia was never really one of my favourites... the allegory was far too blunt and up front, sometimes at the expense of everything else.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 04:24 PM   #12
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I never got past number one in the wheel of time series, it was so bad.
Old 09-21-2002, 04:32 PM   #13
osszie
Elven Warrior

Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman (and all the other authors of those terrible Dragonlance books). They wrote IMO the literary equivalent of that D&D caroon

Numerous Star Trek novels.

Harry Harrison.........loved the early Stainless Steel Rat novels......but the more recent ones seem stale and have done little to add to the characters.
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 08:09 PM   #14
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

Know what you mean about Pratchett, after the first half-dozen you could start writing them yourself. I haven't read any recent ones, I guess from comments above he's coming back down to earth.

Iain Banks: his early books were brilliant; complicated, involving, but most of all believable. Even the sci-fi ones like Consider Phlebas were "good" sci-fi, i.e. decent book with a sci-fi background, rather than being overly concerned with being geeky (like Star Trek). But alas, both his sci-fi and contemporary books have gone overboard on scale at the expense of real tension.

What about William Gibson? He's my favourite writer of all time, but did All Tomorrows' Parties mark anything other than a bit of a letdown end of a trilogy rather like Mona Lisa Overdrive? I hope not, I'd like to think there's life in the old dog yet.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:41 AM   #15
Luthien Tinuviel
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Willow Oran
I love the entire Discworld series. C.S. Lewis flopped on his last two Narnia books though. They weren't nearly as delightful as his earlier ones.
Major disagreement coming from this side of the thread... They are all equally wonderful. The last battle (the last book) is one of my absolute favorites of the seven...
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of starts was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering

There Beren came from mountains cold,
And lost he wandered under leaves,
And where the Elven-river rolled.
He walked alone and sorrowing.
He peered between the hemlock-leaves
And saw in wonder flowers of gold
Upon her mantle and her sleeves,
And her hair like shadow following.

He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves or years were thickly strewn,
By light of moon and ray of star
In frosty heavens shivering.
Her mantle glinted in the moon.
And on a hill-top high and far
She danced, and at her feet was strewn
A mist of silver quivering.
Luthien Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 12:06 PM   #16
Draken
Elf Lord

As I've said on another thread, Iain (M) Banks is losing it for me. His last two Culture novels were a bit of a let down. Song of Stone was downright poor. Yet still I await his next work, hopefully...

I was quite young when I read the Narnia books, so memory plays tricks - but for me the enjoyment factor dipped in the middle and was if anything saved by The Last Battle - which if nothing else lived up to its title. But I pretty soon saw them as 2nd division fantasy compared to Tolkien. Can't say I'm enthused enough to revisit them to see if the allegory is as unsubtle as everyone says.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote