Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-27-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

When Real Life Meets the Internet

My main reason for starting this thread is: have you ever met one of your on-line buddies in real life? I personally have never done this, and actually feel a bit shy about it. However, Jonathan and I are going to have a fika in Stockholm (if I can get there ). Jerseydevil and Ruinel have met in person as well.

What do you feel about meeting on-line buddies in person? Have you done this with any Mooters?

From another hobby of mine (reading Lord of the Rings fanfiction), I can see another place where real life might meet the internet, but this time in reverse. I'll summarize some of my fanfic reading experience. There is a lot of utter canon-mangling rubbish out there. Everything from the spelling and grammer to the characterization and plot could be total crap in a story, but still the author will probably get at least a few people telling them the story was great, and to write more.
If someone does say the story is crap, possible author responses include some very childish methods like starting a flame war, trolling, or spamming the reviewer's inbox.

In real life, it is highly unlikely that total crap would get praise. Also, spamming and trollery wouldn't be possible, or at least would be considered socially unacceptable.

It seems like the internet is a society unto itself. It even has its own languages! (HTML, or AOL-speak...)

How and when have you observed the two societies of real life and the internet interacting, and what was the results?

All thoughts are appreciated. Perhaps I've left out some other manifestation of real life (RL)-internet interactions. If so, I'd like to hear about them!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 04:12 PM   #2
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I see no difference in internet friends and real life friends. Everyone in life is a stranger until you talk to them and get to know them. Some people on the net I have gotten to know - and I do consider them friends. I also don't see much difference in this than back in the days when people like Thomas Jefferson would be "introduced" to someone who he had never met, but through a mutual friend, and would carry on a correspondence. Many times they would later meet when he would invite them to Monticello.

Some people know they have a standiong invitation to stay at my place and that I would love to show them around. I just consider some net friends to be friends and don't look at them anymore as being restricted to just the net. Obviously just like with real friends - some you are closer to than others.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 05:01 PM   #3
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
From another hobby of mine (reading Lord of the Rings fanfiction), I can see another place where real life might meet the internet, but this time in reverse. I'll summarize some of my fanfic reading experience. There is a lot of utter canon-mangling rubbish out there. Everything from the spelling and grammer to the characterization and plot could be total crap in a story, but still the author will probably get at least a few people telling them the story was great, and to write more.
If someone does say the story is crap, possible author responses include some very childish methods like starting a flame war, trolling, or spamming the reviewer's inbox.

In real life, it is highly unlikely that total crap would get praise. Also, spamming and trollery wouldn't be possible, or at least would be considered socially unacceptable.
real life vs internet

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
OMG, that video is so frigging funny! Bwahaha!
I especially liked the "Discussing Politics" part, boy did I laugh
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

there are a number of people that i know in real life that i IM with, but no one i know in real life started out as a internet friend, i would like to meet all of my mates ere on t'moot, of course, everyone is so interesting, and whilst we may not always agree, i like everyone, so anyone travelling near bridgwater, stop by my place
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:09 PM   #6
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
there are a number of people that i know in real life that i IM with, but no one i know in real life started out as a internet friend, i would like to meet all of my mates ere on t'moot, of course, everyone is so interesting, and whilst we may not always agree, i like everyone, so anyone travelling near bridgwater, stop by my place
hey - I live about a half hour froom Bridgewater - but I suppose you don't mean - Bridgewater NJ. Anyway - if you ever want to visit - you are more than welcome to come out too. I feel the same way about people on entmoot - except when it comes to people who make arguments personal.

As for the video - I have to agree with Jonathan. That politics part was hilarious and pretty true. Although - if people are really on very opposing sides - sometimes it's best not to discuss politics at all among friends.

Anyway - Ruinel wasn't the first person I met off the net. I met my friend Olga (who I haven't talked to in a long time). She was from Moscow and moved to the US after we had started e-mailing each other. The week she moved to LA - I flew to LA to take her around to various places. We had a great time. Although it was funny when I picked her up to go to Seaworld and she's dressed up - instead of just wearing jeans and t-shirt and dressing casual. She now dresses much more casual than what she once did.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-27-2005, 06:14 PM   #7
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
hey - I live about a half hour froom Bridgewater - but I suppose you don't mean - Bridgewater NJ.
nope, deffo mean bridgwater, Som , which is interesting as i live bout half hour drive from bridgwater, strange coincidence! it is the nearest town to me,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd
Anyway - if you ever want to visit - you are more than welcome to come out too. I feel the same way about people on entmoot - except when it comes to people who make arguments personal.
same with me
Old 03-27-2005, 06:34 PM   #8
jerseydevil

Quote:
nope, deffo mean bridgwater, Som , which is interesting as i live bout half hour drive from bridgwater, strange coincidence!
Our Bridgewater is in Somerset County - I saw Som and was wondering if that's short for Somerset. And of course - we have the "e" in bridge - whereas you seem to leave it off.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-27-2005, 06:49 PM   #9
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

yeh, Som is short for somerset, but we don't put the E in bridgwater, dunno why tho...
Old 03-27-2005, 07:49 PM   #10
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I've met a couple of friends from the net, not anyone from the moot though..

I know that I might be more open on the net than in rl.. Especially when it comes to people I don't know. Well, my experiences have been very good, and now those people I met feel more real.. Sometimes talking to people on the other side of the planet may make me forget that they are real - it feels like sometimes the idea one gets from the net-friends' life is so limited. (i hope i'm making sense - it's getting too late here XD)

And that video was great! Especially the politics part and that about parties..^^

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:56 PM   #11
Millane
The Dude

hahaha i live about half an hour away from bridgewater too, Bridgewater Vic, although im sure yours isnt a rural town where the most exciting thing that ever happened was an orange truck rolling
Old 03-27-2005, 10:00 PM   #12
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Bad idea!!!
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:20 PM   #13
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I've met somebody. All I'm going to say is that it's a very, very bad idea.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:21 PM   #14
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiopeia
I've met somebody. All I'm going to say is that it's a very, very bad idea.
I think it all depends though. I've met several people - and it wasn't a bad idea at all. I had a great time and I know Ruinel had a great time when she was here.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-27-2005, 10:26 PM   #15
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
I think it all depends though. I've met several people - and it wasn't a bad idea at all. I had a great time and I know Ruinel had a great time when she was here.
It does. It's just that I've met one person from the internet, and it all turned out very badly. I'm still hurting from this, so it's going to be a long time before I consider meeting anybody else I know on the 'net.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:48 PM   #16
jerseydevil

I should post that I probably do things that most people won't do though. The one time when I was managing my mother's bookstore after she died, there was this 17 year old who always came in the store. He actually lived an hour away - and he basically was living on the streets of Seymour. He came in and said how he had no where to go and no food to eat - and his clothes were so dirty - as was he. I told him to come back around 5:30.

He came back and since the homeless shelter was closed, I told him he could stay at my place for the night and I'd take him to get some new clothes. So I got him clothes, got him food, he got to have a shower and then in the morning I took him to the shelter where they help people in his situation. It might have been stupid - but I couldn't see him sleeping outside again (although I hadn't known he was sleeping outside, until he had told me).

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-27-2005, 10:50 PM   #17
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiopeia
It does. It's just that I've met one person from the internet, and it all turned out very badly. I'm still hurting from this, so it's going to be a long time before I consider meeting anybody else I know on the 'net.
I'm sorry to hear that. It's not always a good experience, but I also worked with someone who got married to someone he met in a chat room.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-28-2005, 12:31 AM   #18
Beor
founder of the color blue

I think it would be pretty kick ass to have a real life moot sometime. I wanted to go on an entmoot european tour after I returned from Iraq, being as I lived in Germany and all, but the funding never worked out, and transportation became a problem. Also, there were some beaurocratic issues I had to deal with.

Still, I think I would be pretty awesome to meet yall.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:05 AM   #19
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beor
I think it would be pretty kick ass to have a real life moot sometime. I wanted to go on an entmoot european tour after I returned from Iraq, being as I lived in Germany and all, but the funding never worked out, and transportation became a problem. Also, there were some beaurocratic issues I had to deal with.

Still, I think I would be pretty awesome to meet yall.
Well you're always welcome to come out and visit.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-28-2005, 05:08 AM   #20
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
I live about half an hour/three quaters of an hours away from Bridgwater, and I'm pretty sure it's the one you're talking about!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote