Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2003, 07:17 PM   #1
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

SPOLIERS! A motive for Boromir and Faramir

I labeled the thread SPOILERS so we should be able to discuss it without greying out the text.

I can already hear BB saying it's a stroke of genius, and I can formualte the argument against it myself. In the Extended Edition, PJ has created a motive for Boromir and Faramir. After praising the older boy and castigating the younger, he then tells Boromir that he has been summoned (you heard right, summoned!) to the Council of Elrond. He then speculates, get this, that they found the One Ring!!!! He tells him to bring it back to Gondor, and Faramir, who is still stinging from his rebuke for the fall of Osgiliath, is there, too. This seems like such a neat little device to explain their behaviors that some (ahem) people might even call it an improvement.

But!!!!!

Boromir had a dream he didn't understand and he went to Rivendell to discuss it. The travel time from Gondor to Rivendell is too long for a summons to go one way and Boromir and his retinue to go the other way. If Gandalf knew about the One Ring and went to Saruman and was imprisoned at the pinnacle of Orthanc, how could Elrond have known about the Ring in time to send elves to summons Boromir to Council? And (I will gray out this because it is RotK related):
If Denethor thought he knew where the Ring was, wouldn't Sauron know when he read Denthor's mind through the corrupted palantir?

So I think it's a bad idea. Yet another mistake made in TTT. PJ said we wouldn't like TTT as much, and the more I see the less I like.