Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-28-2001, 02:28 PM   #1
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Favorite things from FotR the movie

First let me say that I just want to have a space to discuss what P.J. et al did right in FotR. I will have to see this movie at least two more times and I might change my list(s).

Onto the lists of favorites. I am keeping to 5 per heading.

Favorite details
1. The Mithril mail coat. (I want one!)
2. Sting's glow
3. Smoke ring duel
4. The thundering white horses in flood at the ford.
5. The appearance of the map from the Hobbit at Bilbo's.

Favorite Places
1. Rivendell
2. Moria
3. Hobbiton/ Shire
4. Orthanc
5. the sneak peak of Minas Tirith.

Favorite Charachters as potrayed in the film.
1. Frodo (Oscar)
2. Gandalf (Oscar, too)
3. Boromir (his death scene brought a tear to my eye)
4. Arwen (to hear here speak Elvish was worth the price of admission, IMHO).
5. Legolas (the next Jackie Chan?)

Favorite Critters
1. The Balrog (wings I saw!)
2. Lurtz
3. Orcs
4. Gollum/Smeagol
5. Watcher in the water.

Favorite scenes
1. The whole battle of the Last Alliance.
2. The Mines of Moria battles.
3. Boromirs death.
4. Lurtz beheading.
5. Anytime Frodo put on the ring.

I like to see everyone else's rave faves.

Pailan

Last edited by Pailan : 12-28-2001 at 03:36 PM.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 03:30 PM   #2
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, to cheat, I'd say everything, from beginning to end, was my favorite part.

However, for me, the most captivating moments were the scenes of the Last Alliance of Elves and Men; the appearance of Sauron the Enemy on the battlefield; Pippin's [Billy Boyd's] accent; the battle at the bridge of Khazad-Dum; the fall of Boromir; Bilbo's Birthday Party; Rivendell and the council of Elrond; everything involving Elrond; the mention of the line of Numenor; everything involving Gandalf [Ian, you are an incredible actor]; all portions involving Saruman [Mr. Lee, incomparable!]; the orcs; the raping of the forests of Isengard; the sneak peek of Minas Tirith [I agree, Pailan]; and the music [bought the soundtrack this morning].

I have been effusive in my enthusiasm for this film, and yet I have not shown the full spectrum of my love for this piece of mastery. Peter Jackson has got to be the best choice anyone could have ever made for director of the three films. It is a work of magic and splendour, with depth and breadth and love for the works of the great Master of twentieth-century literature [Ulysses WHO????].
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 04:31 PM   #3
Reverie
Enting

When I think about the movie one character comes to mind more than any other, Gollum. He scared the hell out of me! Those EYES...haunting. I've read the book several times and Gollum never unnerved me so; and he has yet to speak!
He's the stuff of nightmares...shivers...my nightmares at least. For something to get under my skin like that, yep he was definatly my favorite part of the movie.
Reverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 05:04 PM   #4
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Yes, I would agree with you on Gollum's eyes. Very creepy indeed. For me it was difficult to choose wether that was a great detail or part of his critterness.
For now I place him under the favorite critter catagory.

Pailan
Old 12-30-2001, 04:32 PM   #5
Reverie
Enting

I guess he was my fav because he surprized me. Everyone else was pretty much how I expected them to be, but Gollum's level of creepiness unnerved me. His appearence gave me chills and made my hands all clammy - I loved it! That's just what a creature like Gollum should do!
Reverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 04:42 PM   #6
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Every time Frodo put on the Ring.

Now that, mes amis, is cinema at work.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 05:54 PM   #7
Hapira_Brandybuck
Enting

not in any particular order

fave chars portrayal:
Frodo (definately oscar if he don't get it I'm boycotting the Oscars)
Sam
Legolas (to quote a girl outsie the theater "he was the hottest elf in there!" but that's not my reason)
Aragorn

fave scenes:
when Frodo got stabbed and was becoming a wraith
when Bilbo tried to take the ring from Frodo
Boromir's death scene (I saw it with my boyfriend last night and I thought I saw him crying aaawww.... lol)
Galadriel's test when she got all freaky
when the wraiths tried to kill the hobbits at the prancing pony(my boyfriend was like oh.... my..... god cuz he hadn't read the books)
when Frodo put on the ring..... my favorite was when he got stabbed ( I seem to have a weird affectation with that paticular sequence..... *shrugs*)

fave details:
the mithril coat (I want one too! all I need then is a silvery skirt and I'm set for prom baby!)
Gollum's eyes (those scared the bejeezis out of me the first time)
Sting
Bill!!!!!! (I <3 Bill)

fave places:
Bag-end
Bree
those two big statues on the river..... Asgoroth I think....l not exactly sure

ther'll be more later... maybe I'll see it just one more time.....

'My dear Frodo!' exclaimed Gandalf. 'Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.

Last edited by Hapira_Brandybuck : 12-30-2001 at 05:58 PM.
Hapira_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 05:58 PM   #8
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I have alot of favorite parts. Any scenes where Merry and Pippin are shown is a favorite, especially if they're in trouble or mischevious. I also liked the scene at the Ferry and Bree. Those were scenes where I actually began panicking because I actually FORGOT what came next. I honestly forgot that the Hobbits slept in the parlour and not in the room. And Rivendell was so beautiful, it was homey like. You know it was'nt like Lothlorien which I found to be to eerie and tight I guess you could say...it was'nt a place of rest like Rivendell. In Rivendell you saw the hobbits resting. And those trees....whew. The scenes in Moria were SO cool! I liked Sams potwork(Play on words)and Boromirs"They have a cave troll" and the scene where Gandalf fell from the Bridge was so sad. :*(
I loved the scene where they were passing the Pillars of Argonath and I started crying where Boromir died and did'nt finish until I got in the car. I really teared up where Sam"swims"out to Frodo. I thought he was going to DIE the way he was sinking in the river.
They have got to give at least a small award to Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd for Merry and Pippin, they were too good.
Sean Astin, Elijah Wood,Viggo Mortensen and Liv tyler should either get Academys or Oscars for Sam,Frodo,Aragorn,and Arwen. Sean Bean should get and Oscar for Boromir nothing less. He is way too good for anything lower then an Oscar. The special effects should get an Oscar and so should the sets and costumes. I LOVED Galadriels dress and I also liked Arwens but I think it's a bit immodest. The Balrog was AWSOME. Those wings were too cool.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 06:03 PM   #9
Hapira_Brandybuck
Enting

the perfect award for Merry and Pippin..... heck the entire fellowship would be the MTV Movie Award for best dou/group performance last year the girls that played Charlie's Angels won it

it doesn't have a lot of credibility but hey..... it's something

and plus it's voted on by the fans so it'll mean more than what the critics have to say

'My dear Frodo!' exclaimed Gandalf. 'Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.
Old 12-30-2001, 06:18 PM   #10
andustar
Elven Warrior

Everything I say here is my own opinion and I have no problem with other ppl disagreeing. I'm not going to argue with people, saying "this is better" "no, THIS is better". I cannot be bothered.
You have been warned, I loved almost the whole film, this is going to be LONG. Bur read it anyway, please?

Favorite details

oooohhhh the whole thing was so damned detailled and amazing... however I only saw it once (I'm going this week to see it again, shut up. I've been away for a week, and thinking the whole time MUST SEE THAT FILM AGAIN MUST SEE THAT FILM AGAIN. It was not pleseant.) hmmm anyway, Gollum's eyes, the Nazguls shriek... that's so much scarier in the film than when you just read about it in the book

Favorite Places

not in any particular order... the Prancing Pony, Lorien, Moria, Bag End... Not Rivendell. It was good, but not how I think of Rivendell. Sorry. I have to say that I have no problem AT ALL with it being different. It's just not going to go on my list of favourites, that's all. How do I explain what I mean... em.... this is the way P.J. saw Rivendell, and it's his film. I am HAPPY to see the way he interpreted Rivendell, but I'm not going to put it on my list of things to rave about.

Favorite Characters as potrayed in the film.

Oh... all the fellowship were amazing. Truly amazing. But the ONLY one who hit EXACTLY the way I thought of them was Strider. BY GOD HE WAS AMAZING! wow. wow. I came out of that film going Strider! Strider!. ahem, sorry. Also Gandalf, Legolas, Frodo, Boromir and really, well, the rest of them. All of them. Except maybe Elrond and Galadriel. But especially the ones I listed. <clears throat.> I'm allowed to put the whole film except fot two characters, right? there were probably a few more, but can't recall them right now...

Favorite Critters

Gollum ruled. I can't wait till we see him in TT. He's one that I was never certain of how he should look like, and now I've seen the film version and can point and say, "like that. " Apart from that, the orc that shot Boromir, the rest of the orcs, the Nazgul were amazing. All the rest were good but these much more, IMO

Favorite scenes

The scene they added with Strider picking up the shreds of Narsil. Wow. Also the bit where Frodo holds out his hand with the ring. OK, OK, so I'm obsessed... He's amazing. But I loved Moria, especially the scene on the Bridge. I loved the bit with Bilbo in Rivendell when he suddenly does that scary... thing. that was beyond scary. Another amazing scene was when Bilbo was in Bag End, and talking about "thin and stretched". Both his and Gandalf's acting! Gandalf's reactions to Bilbo's words! stunning.

(hahaha, this is so funny: I was sitting in front of a friend who had not read the books and was not expecting anything in nice comfortable Rivendell. When Bilbo suddenly... snarled... like that, she (and several others in the cinema), went "f***!!!" and then the whole cinema gave nervous laughs, like, "we weren't scared, really we weren't. Honestly")

Fight scene

actually, it might be the way I'm unused to action films and the like, but did anyone else find them too fast and confusing? I own up, I did not understand them. But that could also be because I got an awful seat, too close to the screen. Had to crane my neck the whole time. Pain. The only one I liked was Weathertop. (Do you see a pattern here? guess who'se in this scene?) I just loved the Nazgul, and the flaming torches... yes, and Aragorn, but he's a MINOR reason for liking this scene, ok?????

wow that was longer than I intended.

Andustar
andustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 06:40 PM   #11
Ashley Wood
Sapling

Okay.....I LOVED this movie from Beginning to end!!!! (let's see how long this takes)

Favorite Scenes:
1)When Frodo gets stabbed(for the first time..lol) He just lies there all helpless.... It is so Sad!!!
2)When they are at the Prancing Pony and the RingWraiths rip up the Hobbits beds .....(I am just like that)
3)When they are traveling down the river near the end.....the scenery is just beautiful, and the music in the backround is just haunting!! (I have a passion for music that no one....I repeat....NO ONE understands....:mad)

Favorite Characters:
1)Frodo Baggins...who else?
2)Strider....he is one of those strong and silent types, isn't he?
3)Sam Gamgee....his loyalty is something that I greatly admire.

Favorite details:
1)Everything that happened when the ring was put on....*shudders*
2)well, Okay.....Gollum's eyes are a little creepy.....
3)the Chain Mesh that saved him from the cave troll......(that's what it is, right?)

Favorite Places:
1)The tower where Frodo gets stabbed
2)Mordor.....it's just evil looking
3)The Shire.....it's so peaceful..(and so is the music in the backround)

Well, I can easily say that FOTR is my FAVORITE movie now.....I just wish I could see it again....my mother says it is a waist of money....

Ashley Wood

P.S. Has anyone else gotten the soundtrack? If you haven't.....look for it!! It is awesome!!
Ashley Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 06:59 PM   #12
Hapira_Brandybuck
Enting

that chain mail is the mithril coat we've been talking about

Old 12-30-2001, 11:54 PM   #13
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Thank you so very much for starting this thread. I am sick of hearing people complain about the movie.

Favorite Scenes
1.Hobbiton - I really liked "Concerning Hobbits on the sound track excellent music excellent detail.
2.Moria-Absolutely amazing! Gandalf's falling was very well done.

Favorite Characters
1.Gandalf-Exactly Like I pictured Gandalf- Ian Mckellen was a great choice."you shall not pass"Very emotional line very well done
2.Frodo- Elijah Wood was able to portray with a great depth being both innocent and intense.
3.Saruman- Christoper Lee is the best choice for Saruman...Very believable.
4.Ringwraiths...Excellent job on the making of the Nazgúl

Favorite Details
1.The things that happen when he puts on the ring are EXACTLY like I pictured it to be. PJ couldnt have done a better job with that
2. Armory and Swords-WETA workshop produced some amazing suits of Armor and the pictures Ive seen of Glamdring were terrific

Quote:
Frodo (definately oscar if he don't get it I'm boycotting the Oscars)
LOL yeah you and Martin Shean could get together and have your self a picket ralley

Edit.. I forgot to mention how much I loved Ian Holm's Portrayal of Bilbo. He fit bilbo's personality perfectly
Yet another Edit...you guys keep making me think of more...Gimli and balin' s tomb when he finds out about his cousins death... John-rhyes makes a great dwarf.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.

Last edited by CardenIAntauraNauco : 12-31-2001 at 01:28 AM.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 11:54 PM   #14
CaranIstar
Hobbit

Strider

Loved it from start to finish, but here are some of the more outstanding bits -

Fave Charas
Gandalf
Frodo
Samwise
Aragorn
Peregrin
Legolas
Meriadoc
Gimli...hell, the whole fellowship, plus Elrond.

Fave Scenes
The enitre battle between the Last Alliance and Mordor, especially when Sauron appears.
The duel of the Istari
The killing of the trees in Isengard
The Council of Elrond
The battle in Balin's tomb
The battle on the bridge of Khazad-dum, between Gandalf and the Balrog
The Argonath...wow
Boromir's last stand, including Aragorn versus Lurtz.
Anything with the Nazgul.

Fave places

Mordor, esp. Orodruin and Barad-dur, especially the bit where the camera zooms up the Dark Tower. Not that I actually like the place, jus the cool-factor

Khazad-dum. Amazing.

The watchtower of Amon Sul.

Fave "comic relief moments"

Boromir, "They have a cave troll"
Gimli, " Nobody tosses a Dwarf!"
" Not the beard!"
" I have the eyes of a hawk, and the ears of a fox!"
Peregrin, " You need people of intelligence on this sort of quest. mission. thing."
"Great. Where're we going?"
CaranIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 11:59 PM   #15
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

One Word:
Pippen
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 11:13 AM   #16
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Every time Frodo put on the Ring.

Now that, mes amis, is cinema at work.

Oh, yesss. Makes me wish I could find a ring in my pocket.

Pailan
Old 12-31-2001, 11:42 AM   #17
Arwen't we there yet?
Sapling

About two years ago, I heard that LOTR was being made into a movie. I totally flipped and vowed to myself that I would not watch another movie in the theater until LOTR was out (let's just say the last movie I saw in the theaters was "GLADIATOR").
I missed watching "X-MEN", "Crouching TIger Hidden Dragon", "Harry Potter", etc,... on the big screen. My friends would try to persuade me to break my promise to myself but I refused to listen to their words. I was a woman on a mission.
Finally,...the movie came out. I had to go out to SF (San Francisco to all you non-American net-izens. Geez, why didn't I write that in the beginning instead of abbreviating it,...*oof*) and I cut my trip short just to return to NY on December 18th. It came out on the 19th and I didn't want to risk missing opening day. I HAD to watch this movie!!! I nervously sat in the theater during the previews bc I really didn't want this movie to disappoint. I banned the theater going experience for two years just for this moment. I felt like Peter Jackson OWED me something.

OK,...with THAT out of the way,....let me just say,...

I LOVED THIS *@&$)&)@!% MOVIE!!!

I LOVED the performances.
FRODO was gave such a delicate and moving performance. The tear he produced outside of Moria after Gandalf dies beats the heck out of that Demi Moore "GHOST" tear (hated that movie,...oof). His eyes gave the best performance, conveying all the emotions that can make us, the viewers, really understand. They showed innocence, confusion, resolution, fear, mourning and affection. I agree that he deserves at LEAST an Oscar nod for this one (he was also awesome in "The Ice Storm").

LEGOLAS!!! Good Lord!!! That one scene when they are battling trolls in Moria where he stabs a nasty little sucker with an arrow, pulls it out and then SHOOTS it at another nasty little sucker made me want to stand up and shout " YOU DA MAN!!! YOU *ARE* DA MAN!!!"

ARAGORN,...*sigh* not only is he a BABE (sorry the CHICK in me had to pop out) but he had just the right amount of "grimness". I cannot wait to see him in the rest of the saga.

GANDALF,...just sheer perfection. I gotta admit I wasn't crazy about him in "X-MEN" (which I had to watch on VIDEO,...grrr) but Ian McKellen WAS Gandalf. A total whiz of a wizard, yes he was.

Enough about the performances (I can go on and on,...as you can tell),...

The SCORE was AMAZING,...gotta get the soundtrack,...who composed it anyway? I'm a big Hans Zimmer and Patrick Doyle fan but I KNOW they didn't compose this opus.

The CGI's were DOPE!!! <---obvious giveaway that I'm a product of the '80's,...oof

Let me stop this ranting and raving here by throwing in my two cents for why I have no complaints about the whole "BUT-IN-THE-BOOK" issue,...The reason we watch movies is to be transported into another world. Call it escapism for lack of a better word. I read all the posts about what people DIDN'T like about the movie and I just couldn't comment on that thread. A lot of people that didn't read the book ( but are reading them now,...which is GREAT bc they can love the LOTR now on a new level) really liked this movie. If the whole Star Wars Trilogy was a book first, would they be making the same complaints? That wouldn't be right bc they would be taking away from the movies. In the case for Star Wars, they went and watched the films and a lot of them started reading the books that were written based on the movie (which were written AFTER the movie,..I know I know). Can't they kind of cut Peter Jackson some slack for kind of doing the same for LOTR? If you watch the FOTR as a Tolkien virgin,...and THEN read the books, I doubt there would be as many gripes. Enjoy the movie for what it is,...a GREAT theater going experience. OK,...enough pontificating,...I doubt my convoluted words are even making sense,...hopefully someone gets my point,...

Before I end this lengthy and boring post, let me just say that this is my FIRST post here and I PROMISE the future ones won't be as long (I hope of y'all believe that I'm a WOMAN OF MY WORD). Love this forum,...it's already bookmarked,...

GO WATCH FOTR AGAIN!!!
Arwen't we there yet? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 11:44 AM   #18
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I gotta admit, the first time I heard Pippin's accent I fell in [manly, ahem] love with that actor! He did such a great job! I cannot wait to see more of him and Merry.

I have to admit, the first time I saw Sean Bean as Boromir, I thought he had been miscast. I had always "seen" Boromir as more stout and muscular. It only took a minute or two and I was entranced. What a "Sharpe" [sic] performance! I think he captured the tortured soul of Boromir so closely, the strain of his nation falling whilst he was about in the wilds, with the very weapon his father needed to succeed going straight into the arms of the Enemy! The final confrontation between him and Frodo, the scene on Caradhras where he holds the Ring by its chain, I can feel the Ring calling to him...."Boromir...Boromir...I am the salvation of Gondor....take me to Denethor.....bring me to the Tower of Ecthelion...let us stand together against my former masssster.......". Chilling. Such an incredible depth of emotion brought to the character. I have to agree he deserves an Oscar.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 11:48 AM   #19
Arwen't we there yet?
Sapling

BTW,...was it just me or was anyone else thinking,...
"MR.ANDERSONNNN,..." when Elrond popped up?
Old 12-31-2001, 11:54 AM   #20
Arwen't we there yet?
Sapling

BTW,...was it just me or was anyone else thinking,...
"MR.ANDERSONNNN,..." when Elrond popped up?