Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Peter_20
Elven Warrior

Are there any homosexual characters in The Silmarillion?

Really, I've always thought at least ONE character in this huge tale should've been homosexual, seeing as there are hundreds of characters in the book.
I always liked to think Fingon and Maedhros were a couple, but since they're cousins I find it hard to believe.

It's interesting how some Elves never wedded and had children, but still lived thousands of years (sexual desire ), so characters like Aegnor and Celebrimbor could most likely have been homosexual, or possibly asexual.

Last edited by Peter_20 : 03-17-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Peter_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
carlrodd
Sapling

i'm pretty sure tolkien made no consideration of homosexuality while crafting his work. i would assume, given their passionate nature, that elves who remained unhitched for so long were completely immersed in other things.....war, creating beautiful and terrible things, building great cities etc.
carlrodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Tolkien actually seems to avoid sexuality, of either kind, almost completely in his stories, other than when it is necessary. But, given his christian background and the time he grew up in, I'd have to think he would never have included any kind of homosexuality.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Peter_20
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
Tolkien actually seems to avoid sexuality, of either kind, almost completely in his stories, other than when it is necessary. But, given his christian background and the time he grew up in, I'd have to think he would never have included any kind of homosexuality.
That's a pity, because if he were to include homosexual details somewhere, this would make me respect him even more.

Oh well, I guess it ain't that bad though.
Peter_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

Just because Tolkien didn't put it in, and didn't mean to put it in, it doesn't mean that we can't infer.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

sheesh

I'm much more worried by the glaring ommisions of Alien sex-trippers to both planet earth and Middle earth, in his works frankly!
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:04 PM   #7
Belwen_of_nargothrond
Enting

Greetings

I totally agree with bropous in every way.
Belwen_of_nargothrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
Draken
Elf Lord

Just browse through some fangirl fanfiction. Apparently every character is gay, in every story. Ever.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #9
ecthelion
Enting

what is fan girl fanfiction?

What does "LOL" mean?
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
Belwen_of_nargothrond
Enting

Fanfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken View Post
Just browse through some fangirl fanfiction. Apparently every character is gay, in every story. Ever.
I can't stand to read any fanfiction. I prefer the original stories how they were meant to be and not changed or mangled by some crazed fans.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:58 PM   #11
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belwen_of_nargothrond View Post
I can't stand to read any fanfiction. I prefer the original stories how they were meant to be and not changed or mangled by some crazed fans.
I don't mangle. I fill gaps.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #12
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belwen_of_nargothrond View Post
The best fanfics change nothing in the main plot. They only explore Tolkien's world further - filling the gaps and telling new stories with their own original characters set in Tolkien's great universe. Some fics out there are quite good - sometimse they are even better written, as to the depth of character development, than Tolkien's own stories. Some but not most. Unfortunately, about 90 percent of fanfics are awful crap.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #13
inked
Elf Lord

NO! (see page 1 of this thread)
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, it's where the male elf takes his peepee, and the girl human from earth takes off all her clothes and... *insert birds & bees lecture here*.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #15
Mari
Elf Lady

Except that it often includes boy-boy relations and often doesn't go much further then a kiss. A few people I know are into this kind of thing and I sometimes check their English before they publish it online. Some stories are really funny! (Allthough they are certainly not intended te be )

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:04 AM   #16
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah, but those are all prominent people. I wonder if those relationships were part & parcel of being wealthy or upper class, cos that sorta continued past the classical period (behaviours being acceptable in the upper class, but not so much in the lower ones).
Old 01-25-2008, 01:10 AM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I was merely wondering aloud. I studied ancient history as well, and didn't really recollect much as it's been a while. I did a quick search in wikipedia (just now) and came up with this:

"Though the love of boys was freely practiced by the aristocracy, it remained a source of mirth for the common people, and a topic lampooned by the comedians. Aristophanes, in Peace, in a parody of Ganymede riding on the back of Zeus in eagle form, has his character ride to Olympus on the back of a dung beetle, a scatological pun on anal sex."

I've not read any sources for quite a while, so I've no real thoughts on this, and there's no much anthropology I can bring in (). Was really just musing out loud, cos certainly in latter historic periods, pederasty, etc, was openly practiced by aristocrats, and so forth, but not so much by lower ranking peoples (ie commoners).
Old 01-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #18
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Speaking of Aristophanes, I remember one character talking about wishing some father in the society would come to him and complain that he (the character) hadn't been pursuing his (the father's) son; as I recall, the character was at least in fairly dire financial straits, which would seem to indicate that he would be in the lower strata of Athenian society.

EDIT: But we're rather off-topic...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #19
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Months later, I think I finally can articulate my answer to the OP's question. Yes, there are homosexual characters in the Simarillion. There has to be because the characters in the book include the full community of Elvish, mannish, and Dwarvish peoples and whether some are able to acknowledge it or not, a certain percentage of every community, always, has been, is, and will be gay.

Whether Tolkien presented any of his characters as overtly or covertly homosexual is a different question. Yes, it happens to be the question most of y'all would argue over but the answer to OP's question remains "yes."
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #20
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

On the topic at hand, I couldn't care less.

It's not a Mills and Boon novel, and it shouldn't be read to discover characters' sexuality.

But, I do suggest that you take Aegnor/Aikanáro off the list of possibles, and read Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth.

He was in love with Andreth, a daughter of Men.

~The Lay of Leithian
Curufin is offline   Reply With Quote