Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-05-2003, 06:39 AM   #1
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
That essay about Men when they were 'corrupted' is something I'm very suspicious to, since it's not mentioned anywhere else and Tolkien several times state that nothing is told of what happened to Men when Morgoth came to them.
All right, but Tolkien wrote the Athrabeth (I assume that's the story you're all referring to) late in life, and perhaps we should translate his previous statements about Men and Morgoth to 'nothing is told yet' I also find it natural that it is not mentioned elsewhere in the books, since they are concerned about Elvish myths and not Mannish. Of course, Adanel's story in the Athrabeth is to be read with a critical eye, as should in general all Mannish myths more than the Elvish, since stories and legends passing through several generations are more likely to be altered.

Attalus, have you visited the Athrabeth thread? Did you enjoy the story, in spite of your suspicion? I'm not a Christian, but this story made me think of Christianity more than anything else Tolkien has written. It's a wonderful piece.

Last edited by Artanis : 05-05-2003 at 06:42 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote