Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-29-2004, 10:29 AM   #1
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Evil in Middle-Earth

This subject has been touched on in other threads but I thought (well RtB suggested) that I should open a thread about Evil in Middle-Earth.
What is evil and what makes a person evil.
I think a person is evil if they commit evil deeds and do not repent. What does everybody else think.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 03:15 PM   #2
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

To my mind, a person is evil if and only if they can clearly distinguish between "wrong" and "right" and have the full choice of which path to take and then purportedly and knowingly choose to act "wrong".

In Middle-Earth evil is emanating from an external source, the devil incarnate: Morgoth in the First Age and Sauron in the Second and Third. However, evil is also shown as tricky and often attacks people when they think they're at the top of their awareness. This appears when Sam, on the very brink of Mordor, much aware of the Ring's evil, envisions himself as Lord Samwise the Great, etc...
It often also pries on people's weaknesses: Fëanor's pride and Eöl's grudge against the Noldor, etc...
So to sum up, according to Tolkien (and Christianity), evil doesn't come from within people, it infests them.
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 03:22 PM   #3
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'd say the root of evil is thinking exclusively of yourself and not others... and when it happens inadvertantly, a lack of repentance as TD said... lot's of gray space in there though
Old 08-29-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

It's VERY grey. I don't think of characters such as Eol, Feanor, or even Smeagol, as evil per se. They all had redeeming qualities. Evil in middle-earth, for me, would be mostly limited to characters such as Sauron, Morgoth, and Saruman, who are overtly evil, not just victims of happenstance, or pride.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:01 PM   #5
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

EXCUSE me! If Feanor gets to have redeeming qualities, then why can't Saruman? The dude was wise and learned in lore (surely that counts for something). He just fell because he sought too much knowledge.
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:47 PM   #6
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Sorry, I believe that Fëanor was quite evil for the evil deeds that he did, chiefly the Kinslaying, and Eöl, too, though not to that degree. I would also add Fëanor's loathesome sons, Celegorm and Curufin, who kidnapped Lúthien and tried to wed her (to Celegorm) against her will, to the short list of evil Elves. I hasten to add that they were not totally evil, as JRRT wrote that no character in his writings was totally evil, for that would be the void: no life, no strength, no wisdom, though perverted. But evil is as evil does. Not as evil as Morgoth or Sauron, of couse.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:30 PM   #7
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
EXCUSE me! If Feanor gets to have redeeming qualities, then why can't Saruman?
he had good taste in pipeweed

you have a point though Attalus, i've even ventured a few defenses of melkor in the past... i think souls who are very passionate about life and knowledge of it can get easily caught up in 'evil', though there are certainly ones like gandalf, who was able to temper his desires with compassion

i've mentioned before in feanor's defense that one can't discount the loss of his mother and later his father in the events that followed... not necessarily a justification, but a reason behind his 'evil'

celegorm and curufin are a bit tougher... they were some pretty nasty elf-types
Old 08-30-2004, 02:07 AM   #8
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
i'd say the root of evil is thinking exclusively of yourself and not others... and when it happens inadvertantly, a lack of repentance as TD said... lot's of gray space in there though
I'd agree with you bj, if we were talking about evil in our world and not in Middle Earth. But since we are talking about Middle Earth, I will have to agree with the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
So to sum up, according to Tolkien (and Christianity), evil doesn't come from within people, it infests them.
One could even go so far as to say that evil in Middle Earth originates from Iluvatar himself. Melkor was the first to stray away from the right part, and he is the one who has stained Arda and its inhabitants with evil. But Melkor was also created by Iluvatar. So what is Melkor? A fallen angelic being, but was he destined to fall?

If no one is evil to begin with, what then made Melkor fall so deep?

This is an old discussion, but not the less interesting!

Edit: Short list of evil Elves, if I were to put anyone on that list it would be Celegorm and Curufin, and maybe Eöl. The reason that I hesitate to put the C bros on the list is that we don't get to know very much about them. We know that they were close in friendship with Aredhel in Valinor. Shouldn't that count for some good qualities?

Last edited by Artanis : 08-30-2004 at 02:18 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:20 AM   #9
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Not really, it could just show Aredhel bad choice in people like Eol.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:26 AM   #10
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

good point T.D. can anyone think of evil hobbits?
Old 09-06-2004, 01:36 PM   #11
Fewin Greenleaf
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
This subject has been touched on in other threads but I thought (well RtB suggested) that I should open a thread about Evil in Middle-Earth.
What is evil and what makes a person evil.
I think a person is evil if they commit evil deeds and do not repent. What does everybody else think.
all things that do not conform with God's laws are evil.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:01 PM   #12
Beregond
Hobbit

I believe that a peson is evil if they can only do wrong and know that they are doing it, for instance (I can't remember his name) but the orc that tries to steel frodos mithril vest.
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 02:36 PM   #13
Small No-name
Hobbit

Strider

You have a point thare and i totaly agree with you
Small No-name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:23 AM   #14
Small No-name
Hobbit

Strider

You are one smart person.