Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-22-2002, 09:24 PM   #41
Fred Baggins
Belladona Gamgee of the night sky

Location: second star to the right and straight on till morning.
Epp, I agree Katya! I new it would be a bad Idea.
Pacha:Most likely.
Cusco:Bring it on.
~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`
Yes, I'm female. Fred Baggins is my NICKNAME!
"The reason of the unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason, that with reason I complain of your beauty."~Don Quixote
"Once upon a time there was a magical land where it never rained. The End."~from the movie 'Holes'
()_))_Crayola_))_>
Fred Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:32 PM   #42
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

As a christian I have to say, YES! Evolution is a good THEORY. I don't belive in it, but it's the best out there for non-Bible believing people. I wouldn't mind Creation being given as another theory, but I don't see it happening.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:38 PM   #43
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
Please explain why we share 98% of our DNA with chimpanzees
According to R. May quoted in the "New Scientist " We share half our genes [DNA] with the banana.
I don't believe I need to say anymore.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:23 PM   #44
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

I do not really think that creation should be taught in schools at all, if people want a religious education, they can do that on their own time, and there is obviously nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
I was merely stating my wish to see an educator with enought guts to address both sides of the issue.
I don't totally disagree with that, but if we were going to go down that road, we would have to teach the creation theories of many religions to be fair wouldn't we? so i think its best to keep the whole issue out of public schools!

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 10:57 PM   #45
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
Perhaps R*an's point was that it doesn't need be revised?
That's exactly my point, crickhollow!

and BTW, congrats on your new status, you beat me to it

and katya - yes, I think Pres. Bush does look rather like a monkey, too (and i typically vote Republican ) And your "life cycle of moss" was hysterical - oh, the difficulties of staying awake in class sometimes! I had a Physics instructor in college who was Indian and spoke in that lovely, sing-song Indian voice. Unfortunately, I had the class right after lunch, and staying awake was sometimes difficult! However, I did manage to pick up a thing or two...

IronParrot - Speaking of physics, wouldn't you say Newtonian physics, quantum mechanics, and *whoops, forgot the third, back in a flash with an edit* oh, ok - Einsteinian relativity would be considered fields of study, not theories? Now there are theories within these disciplines, but that is a different matter. And speaking further of physics, wouldn't you say that the second law of thermodynamics really rules out the types of things that the theory of evolution says happened?
Quote:
2nd law - when all systems taking part in a process are included, the entropy either remains constant or increases.
(entropy - a thermodynamic measure of the amount of energy unavailable for useful work in a system undergoing change; a measure of the degree of disorder in a substance or a system: entropy always increases and available energy diminishes in a closed system, as the universe.)

In other words, things tend to disorder, not order and further refinement, unless there is an external source of energy, such as an intelligent designer/creator.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-22-2002 at 11:26 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:13 PM   #46
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

emplynx - a BANANA!?! Well, that explains why I peel when I get a sunburn!

and I like how you worded this :
Quote:
Evolution is a good THEORY. I don't belive in it, but it's the best out there for non-Bible believing people.
and I agree.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-22-2002 at 11:21 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:23 PM   #47
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

Quote:
(I assume we are discussing the theory of evolution without "intelligent design" behind it, as opposed to the offshoot idea of the theory of evolution with an intelligent being giving little gentle nudges to things at critical points. Or do you people want to discuss both?)
This is interesting because we were just discussing evolution in my philosophy class the other day. One thing the prof said that I wasn't aware of is that the Pope himself actually subscribes to this idea, which is called theistic evolutionism.

So I guess my question is: Why can't we sort of believe both at the same time? Why can't God and evolution coexist?

Being a Christian, I don't really have a problem with evolution. Who cares if the world was created in six days or billions of years? To me it doesn't matter, as long as you believe that ultimately God created it all.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:46 PM   #48
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
Oh, I love these debates. Evolution is FACT and the actual details of it is the theory. If you don't believe in theorys why don't you go outside and jump out of a building and see if gravity is only a 'theory'? Please explain why we share 98% of our DNA with chimpanzees and the fossils from around the world which show species evolving.
Sorry to bust your bubble, but evolution is a theory. It can never be made into a scientific law because it cannot be proven mathematically. Gravity, on the other hand, can (and several things pertaining to the 'law' of gravity are slightly flawed. Two objects don't really fall at a constant rate...maybe I'll explain later).

Should it be taught in schools? Yes, of course, as well as intelligent design. It shouldnt' be taught in a way that it completely degrades those students who believe in God. And whoever said you can't believe in God and evolution? (Heck, I'm going to be a biology major.) Darwin's theories never attempt to disprove a divine creator. I myself believe in it, in a way. I believe that God created Adam and Eve, and yadda yadda, but I think if we saw them today, they would look very different than we, because we live in a very different enviroment.

Also, there are other theories considering the origin of life, one of the most outlandish being that aliens planted it here. But where did that alien life come from? I discussed this with my AP Bio teacher who said that if you tried to follow that theory, it would inevitably lead to divine origin.

Last edited by Starr Polish : 10-23-2002 at 12:00 AM.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:22 AM   #49
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
"Speaking of physics, wouldn't you say Newtonian physics, quantum mechanics, and *whoops, forgot the third, back in a flash with an edit* oh, ok - Einsteinian relativity would be considered fields of study, not theories?"
Nope.

Well, actually, yes to quantum mechanics. Nope to the other two... they are only "studied" in the sense that people try to understand the damned thing. They are clearly posited theories that stand until proven otherwise. And actually, Newton's equations have indeed been proven otherwise, but the error is considered negligible at the macroscopic level.

Rian, thank you for falling into the exact trap I'd laid out - a blatant misinterpretation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics. That's okay, you're not the first one I've seen who's tried to use that argument, and I knew somebody was going to bring it up. Let's examine this, shall we...

Quote:
entropy - a thermodynamic measure of the amount of energy unavailable for useful work in a system undergoing change; a measure of the degree of disorder in a substance or a system: entropy always increases and available energy diminishes in a closed system, as the universe.
Isolated system, actually, not closed... but that's okay, that's not what I'm arguing with here. What I'm lacking is a comprehensible link between the above idea and this one:

Quote:
In other words, things tend to disorder, not order and further refinement, unless there is an external source of energy, such as an intelligent designer/creator.
Incorrect.

The Second Law does not disprove the notion of spontaneous order, as it deals with positive change in entropy, not absolute entropy itself. In other words, it is merely a description of the sum of a set of entropic changes, and does not imply that each of those individual changes in a single reaction or system must increase in disorder.

What needs to be understood here are "entropic forces", also known as depletion/excluded-volume forces. Let's take a textbook example of a system consisting of small particles and large particles. If the Second Law was to be taken at face value, the expectation is that these particles would be randomly dispersed. However, what actually happens at a certain microscopic scale is that the large particles are clumped together to maximize room for the smaller particles to move freely, a process that a) orders the large particles, but b) maximizes the entropy of the system.

In other words: as net entropy (in this case, that of the universe) increases, this merely means that the entropic advantage of one part of the system outweighs the ordering of another part. A system's increase in entropy does not imply that all constituents of the system also increase in entropy.

Thus, the Second Law doesn't prove a bloody thing about intelligent design or creation.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:23 AM   #50
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
"Sorry to bust your bubble, but evolution is a theory. It can never be made into a scientific law because it cannot be proven mathematically."
Incorrect. The reasoning, anyway... as I said earlier, the extrapolated conclusions from macro-evolution are indeed theoretical, but the process itself has been empirically observed.

Mathematical proof does not determine what a scientific law is or is not. The Law of Ropes cannot be proven mathematically, but it is considered to be a scientific law. (It basically states that flexible cords cannot undergo compressive forces, i.e. you can't push on a string.)

Quote:
"Gravity, on the other hand, can (and several things pertaining to the 'law' of gravity are slightly flawed. Two objects don't really fall at a constant rate...maybe I'll explain later)."
First of all, objects don't fall at a constant rate. They do so with constant acceleration (the result of a constant force on a constant mass). And Newtonian gravitation concerns itself with the relationship between the distance of two objects and the magnitude of the force attracting them. Nobody has been able to argue that these laws don't hold (when isolated from other forces - frictional, electrostatic, etc.)... the only reason why gravitation is still a "theory" is because gravity may not actually be a force at all, but rather a warping of the fabric of space. I don't know much about Unified Field Theory and developments in that regard, so I won't take this any further here.

Quote:
"Should it be taught in schools? Yes, of course, as well as intelligent design. It shouldnt' be taught in a way that it completely degrades those students who believe in God."
Disagree with the first statement, in agreement with the second. Analogously, hen students are taught about lightning, I don't think they should be told that Zeus chucks bolts from the sky or Thor clangs his hammer around, either - but that stops just short of saying that the Greeks and the Norse were dead wrong.

Quote:
"Darwin's theories never attempt to disprove a divine creator."
Bingo. I was hoping someone would notice.

In fact, Darwin was a God-believing man whose remains lie in the crypt of Westminster Abbey... not too far away from Newton, in fact.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 01:19 AM   #51
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I wonder though how you explain the human eye? If everything on the overall scale is gradually becoming more and more complex, and in short term tends to disorder, then how can you explain massive accumulations of order, such as the human eye? It seems rather incredible to me that such an unbelievably complex and detailed thing could be created out of overall, slow design.

But anyway, it's true that the Bible doesn't disprove evolution, even though I personally don't like to believe it. Evolution is outside of the interpretation that Christians have held for years, and that interpretation is what many are fighting to keep. I actually think it might be rather nice to be able to lay down the swords on that subject and simply say, "maybe that's true."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 04:01 AM   #52
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Yes it should be taught. I can't post as much as I but Iron Parrot, Cassiopeia, Bop etc are my cohorts

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 04:03 AM   #53
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

PS the human eye is not perfectly designed. Squids have some really well designed eyes now.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 07:15 AM   #54
Draken
Elf Lord

What an interesting debate. It's not one I hear discussed too much here - it would have as much credibility as suggesting we teach that the Earth is flat and rides on the back of a giant turtle.

I put it down to most of our Puritans getting into boats and sailing away some time ago. Anyone know where they ended up?

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 07:21 AM   #55
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
and I like how you worded this : and I agree.
Thanks. I cannot honistly expect a non-God believing person to believe that God created the world, so I can't really expect them to teach it. I definitely think teachers should have a choice as to weather they teach it or not, though.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:10 AM   #56
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by emplynx
According to R. May quoted in the "New Scientist " We share half our genes [DNA] with the banana.
I don't believe I need to say anymore.
I don't understand your point Emplynx. Banana is a living thing, so are we....That is why we share DNA with it. Banana (millions of years) monkey (millions of years) man, Makes perfect sense to me!!
Old 10-23-2002, 11:45 AM   #57
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I didn't say that there was nothing better or more perfect than the human eye. All right, let's ignore the human eye and focus on the squid. It doesn't matter which. How did evolution create the squid's eye?
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:08 PM   #58
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea

I think it would be nice to offer a comparative religion class in high schools. I think that understanding different religions helps people to understand the world better. And it would help in history studies. You really can't thoroughly teach about a time or country without bringing the peoples' religious beliefs into it.
That's what we have here - Religious Education is a compulsory subject in state secondary schools, and it is indeed comparative, aimed at informing on a wide range of religions.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:10 PM   #59
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

No Evolution should not be taught in schools. for those of us who are Catholics and go to public school don't want to study evolution and take tests on it. what about death?? if evolution is true(which it isn't in my opinon), where do we go after death?? do we just dissapear?? do we fall into nothingness?? I mean evolution says that we were there was one great big boom, and everything just happend to land like this. and then of course some molecules became slime, and then it became plants, and then worms, and then fish, and then the fish grew legs and became dogs, and then monkeys, and then apes, and then us. one science book I was looking over said something like "there is excess tissue in your forehead that was proboly a third eye". now where would we get a third eye?? I will write more later.

Ms. Undomial
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Ms. Undomial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:32 PM   #60
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I wonder though how you explain the human eye? If everything on the overall scale is gradually becoming more and more complex, and in short term tends to disorder, then how can you explain massive accumulations of order, such as the human eye? It seems rather incredible to me that such an unbelievably complex and detailed thing could be created out of overall, slow design.
The human eye did not appear all at once. It was formed very gradually over millions, maybe billions of years. You might say what good is five percent of an eye? But five percent of an eye is better than no eye at all.

Example:
Assume there was a bunch of blind flatworm-type creatures swimming in a shallow pond. Their food is near the surface of this pond, but they have no way of knowing where the surface is. Assume there is a particular worm with a patch of skin that reacts to light. When it is turned toward the surface, it feels the light and can stay near where the food is. This creature would have an advantage over the others in that particular environment. It would therefore have a better chance at surviving and therefore passing on its genes to a new generation that would have the same patch of skin. Given enough time, a creature could appear that has an even better 'eye'. These gradual improvements are the basis of evolution. Given millions of years and gradual improvements you eventually arrive at the complex human eye.

Does that answer your question?
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote