Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2003, 07:00 PM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Favorite Scenes from TTT Extended Edition...

***Spoiler Warning***

***Spoilers will be included and you should know this by the title of the thread, therefore the spoiler code shouldn't really be needed. If you don't want to know about this and haven't seen it yet then don't read any further***

I see in the other threads, there really isn't anything that goes into the favorite new scenes or extended scenes. Please don't post complaints, that is pretty well covered in the other threads.

Which new scenes and extended scenes are your favorite?

For me, there are 3 scenes that I really liked and wished they were in the theatrical release.

The first one is "The Heir of Númenor", where Gandalf speaks to Aragorn of how Sauron fears him and how the enemy doesn't realize that Frodo travels into Mordor with the ring they are looking for. This is a great setup for not only the story but also a tie in for when Pippin looks into the palantir in RotK movie...

The second is "One of the Dúnedain" where Eowyn is speaking to Aragorn. She mentions that Theoden said that Aragorn went to war beside King Thengel, Theoden's father, and she didn't believe it because Aragorn doesn't appear to be as old as that would make him. They then talk about his true age, which is 87, and she is blown away by it. She then ties that into who Aragorn is, being one of the Northern Dúnedain that is...

The third scene is "Sons of the Steward". It takes place after Gondor reclaims Osgiliath and Boromir and Faramir are celebrating their victory. You really get to see how much the brothers really loved one another and you also get to see how much they hate thier father, Denethor, as he is in the scene as well. It is mainly a flashback scene, because after they reclaimed Osgiliath Boromir goes off to Rivendell for the Council of Elrond...

I really enjoyed the Extended Edition of the Two Towers, because it includes things that would have made the theatrical version much better than it was. I don't think this movie would have caught as much flack and complaints if some of these scenes were included. There is also a scene that cleans up the bit about that horse "Brego" that saves Aragorn, I know that intially drew a lot of crap for being such a random scene

So, what scenes did you like?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 08:36 PM   #2
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I agree, the scene where Aragorn tames Brego makes Aragorn's 'death' a little easier to bear.

My favourite scene is the at the beginning, where Sam and Frodo climb down the cliff. Sam drops his seasoning, and Frodo catches it. They then talk about 'roast chicken'. I really think they needed more Sam and Frodo scenes in the theatrical version.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:46 PM   #3
zinnite
Elven Warrior

I have to agree with you Dúnedain, those were my favorite new scenes as well, especially "The Heir of Númenor."

I also liked the "Flotsam and Jetsam" scene.

The Huorns were very cool, although way too brief.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 09:16 PM   #4
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Yeah the Huorn scene was cool too, I thought it was way too short as well, but at least we have it now lol
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 11-18-2003, 09:40 PM   #5
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

From a cursory viewing it seems that generally the new and extended scenes with the ents/hobbits are improvements, although even there there are needless inversions/switches (Merry and Pippin drink entdraughts against the advice of Treebeard when in reality he offered it to them).

Single best improvements were the elfrope scene, virtually perfect, Dunedain background with Eowyn (an instance of PJ and friends switching book bits that works), and, partially, Flotsam and Jetsom, but without the Three Hunters meeting Merry and Pippin it's incomplete in book impact.

P.S. PJ and PB must have gotten enormous not so good feedback on Faramir (apparently BB didn't write) because they start off a section of disc 3 with a coherent, if unconvincing, presentation of their tampering with Faramir "From Book to Script". It essentially seems to come down to their view that they knew better then JRRT.

However, Dunedain is "spot on" with his comment:
"I really enjoyed the Extended Edition of the Two Towers, because it includes things that would have made the theatrical version much better than it was. I don't think this movie would have caught as much flack and complaints if some of these scenes were included."

I think the movie Faramir would have been evaluated more like Arwen in FOTR if the DVD Faramir bits had been included.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 11-18-2003 at 09:48 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 10:51 PM   #6
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Oh yeah, and I really liked Eowyn's little funeral dirge. It seemed kind of forced, but it was still nice.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
Old 11-18-2003, 11:05 PM   #7
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by zinnite
Oh yeah, and I really liked Eowyn's little funeral dirge. It seemed kind of forced, but it was still nice.
hehe, no idea why but I thought she kinda sounded like Bjork

--Linaewen
Old 11-19-2003, 01:44 AM   #8
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I think I found a mistake on one of the maps. In the scene when Faramir is discussing the movements of Saruon's Army and Saruman's Army (chapter 40 on the DVD), they are looking at a map. You can see it in two spots, the very beginning of the scene when they put the map on the table and when the camera pans from Rohan to Gondor, you also see on the map, Emyn Muil, The Dead Marshes and "Dagorland". It should say Dagorlad and not DagorlaNd...

--Linaewen

Last edited by Dúnedain : 11-19-2003 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:48 AM   #9
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Re: Favorite Scenes from TTT Extended Edition...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
You really get to see how much the brothers really loved one another and you also get to see how much they hate thier father, Denethor, as he is in the scene as well.
What the heck ... hate their father? Not sure if I'm gonna like that.

But I'm looking forward to see the brotherly love.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:22 AM   #10
Millane
The Dude

ohhhh probably the same as Dunedain, except i was just a bit iffy about that "stew" that eowyn made, surely Aragorn would have been used to worse food than that in his travels. on a side note when aragorn kicks the uruk helmet, he breaks two of his toes, i thought that was cool...
i liked the extra Uruk scenes, especially "i dont take orders from orc- maggots" and the draught.
i loved Eowyn singing at Theodred's funeral great scene...
hmmm poor Gimli, his honor has been destroyed in The Two Towers, i always imagined him as being a bit more stubborn, i know he was not comfortable in Fangorn but he didnt have to seem like such a wimp...
and that wanker Legolas trying to steal Gimli's dead Uruk
Old 11-19-2003, 09:58 AM   #11
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Quote:
hehe, no idea why but I thought she kinda sounded like Bjork
I think that's why I liked it
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"THE ADDRESS!"

Old 11-19-2003, 12:38 PM   #12
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Honestly, I'd have to say my favorite scene was the easter egg on disc 1 showing Gollum's speech at the MTV movie awards. [Go to select scenes, select the last chapter on disc one, press the down arrow and a ring appears. The egg is here]

What I want to know is how did Gollum channel jerseydevil? ("Peter Jackson, you f****** hack! Who do you think you are! How dare you?!")

At any rate, absolutely hilarious.

From the film itself, I really liked "One of the Dunedain", although I think that they got the age wrong. Aragorn's 88th birthday was March 1. I don't recall the exact date of Helm's Deep, but the Pellennor was March 15. I don't think that the discussion is plausibly more than two weeks before the Pellennor.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:55 PM   #13
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: Re: Favorite Scenes from TTT Extended Edition...

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
What the heck ... hate their father? Not sure if I'm gonna like that.

But I'm looking forward to see the brotherly love.
Well maybe I used hate too strongly, really more of a resentment, like you see Faramir resenting Denethor for the way he treats him and you see Boromir resenting Denethor for the way he treats his brother...

--Linaewen
Old 11-19-2003, 12:57 PM   #14
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Bacchus
Honestly, I'd have to say my favorite scene was the easter egg on disc 1 showing Gollum's speech at the MTV movie awards. [Go to select scenes, select the last chapter on disc one, press the down arrow and a ring appears. The egg is here]

What I want to know is how did Gollum channel jerseydevil? ("Peter Jackson, you f****** hack! Who do you think you are! How dare you?!")

At any rate, absolutely hilarious.

From the film itself, I really liked "One of the Dunedain", although I think that they got the age wrong. Aragorn's 88th birthday was March 1. I don't recall the exact date of Helm's Deep, but the Pellennor was March 15. I don't think that the discussion is plausibly more than two weeks before the Pellennor.
Well that discussion took place before Helm's Deep, so if the Pellennor was on March 15th and they are only on their way to Helm's Deep then it is more than plausible that it is not March 1st yet...

--Linaewen
Old 11-19-2003, 01:00 PM   #15
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

I agree that it's possible, but then we have the issue of Aragorn claiming to be 87 at best a day or two before his birthday. I didn't know he was so sensitive about his age

We do have a bit of a timeline to work from. Gandalf appears at dawn of the fifth day. Therefore, the discussion takes place at most five days before the battle ends, and more likely three on the high end.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.

Last edited by Bacchus : 11-19-2003 at 01:05 PM.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 01:04 PM   #16
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Well maybe I used hate too strongly, really more of a resentment, like you see Faramir resenting Denethor for the way he treats him and you see Boromir resenting Denethor for the way he treats his brother...
Sounds much better, thank you.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:12 PM   #17
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Bacchus
I agree that it's possible, but then we have the issue of Aragorn claiming to be 87 at best a day or two before his birthday. I didn't know he was so sensitive about his age
Even so, that would still make him 87

--Linaewen
Old 11-19-2003, 04:10 PM   #18
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Hopefully the extended version of TTT should silence some of the naysayers around here. The EE explains the appearance of Brego, the motivations of Faramir, and has some great Eowyn and Gandalf moments too. Really good stuff.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 04:21 PM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, I liked the one viewing of the theatrical TT that I saw, and I liked this one more. I don't know why, but even with all the deviations, it feels like a better, more compelling movie. Gives me a lot of hope for ROTK. Anyway, easily, my favourite scene is the entwife song - with that beautiful landscape in conjunction with the sadness of the song... come back to me... come back to me... come back to me... and say that my land is best. And, the look on Merry's face is priceless with the first song, Oh rowan fair!
Old 11-19-2003, 04:23 PM   #20
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Well, I liked the one viewing of the theatrical TT that I saw, and I liked this one more. I don't know why, but even with all the deviations, it feels like a better, more compelling movie. Gives me a lot of hope for ROTK. Anyway, easily, my favourite scene is the entwife song - with that beautiful landscape in conjunction with the sadness of the song... come back to me... come back to me... come back to me... and say that my land is best. And, the look on Merry's face is priceless with the first song, Oh rowan fair!
lol, yeah i liked how merry and pip kept snoozing off

--Linaewen