Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-03-2003, 11:17 AM   #1
EyeSeeYou
Hobbit

(spoilers) Dumbledore

i was talking to my friend's mom about OotP. she thought that Dumbledore would end up dying towards the end of the series. heres why:

"Harry turned to look where Neville was staring. Directly above them, framed in the doorway from the Brain Room, stood Albus Dumbledore, his wand aloft, his face white and furious. Harry felt a kind of electric charge surge through every particle of his body - they were saved."

Harry knows when Dumbledore arrives everything will be okay. And so far, Dumbledore has always been there when he was needed the most, like in OotP. Wont there be a time when Dumbledore wont come to the rescue and Harry will have to face Voldemort on his own?

Your thoughts.....
Old 07-03-2003, 01:17 PM   #2
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Re: (spoilers) Dumbledore

Quote:
Originally posted by EyeSeeYou

Harry knows when Dumbledore arrives everything will be okay. And so far, Dumbledore has always been there when he was needed the most, like in OotP. Wont there be a time when Dumbledore wont come to the rescue and Harry will have to face Voldemort on his own?

Your thoughts.....
Well, he's not always there...what about TGOF he wasn't there was he? Anyway I didn't post here just to correct you I also think you have a very good point. I honestly thought it would be Dumbledore to die this book. For all our Star Wars fans lets go back to the first movie they made (with Luke). Why did Obeywon(sp?) let himself get killed? Because he saw a chance for Luke to kill his Daddy, I figured Dumbldore would do something like that. But no! She had to kill Sirius! Oh well.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:31 PM   #3
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Yah, that is a good point. Also In TGoF. Hagrid said 'As long as we've got Dumbledore, I'm not worried' or something along those lines.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 02:07 PM   #4
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

what about at the end of the goblet of fire, dumbledore never came harry had to fight voldemort himself and he had to get to the portkey while carrying cedrics body, dumbledore never really or couldhave helped there
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 02:33 PM   #5
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by ESY
i was talking to my friend's mom about OotP. she thought that Dumbledore would end up dying towards the end of the series. heres why:
I do think your mom's right. I'm not sure why, but Dumbledore seem to be older then ever sometimes (Harry says that sometimes)
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:12 PM   #6
Elf Girl
Lurker

I always thought it was pretty obvious Dumbledore would die during the climax of the seventh book. The climax of the series, really, when Harry has to /finally/ do something for himself.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 06:53 PM   #7
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Re: Re: (spoilers) Dumbledore

Quote:
Originally posted by Fimbrethil
Well, he's not always there...what about TGOF he wasn't there was he? Anyway I didn't post here just to correct you I also think you have a very good point. I honestly thought it would be Dumbledore to die this book. For all our Star Wars fans lets go back to the first movie they made (with Luke). Why did Obeywon(sp?) let himself get killed? Because he saw a chance for Luke to kill his Daddy, I figured Dumbldore would do something like that. But no! She had to kill Sirius! Oh well.
Not really in the least - Obi-Wan Kenobi (can't believe you screwed it up that much) sacrifices himself for completely different reasons. You got that part completely wrong. This allows Luke to escape the Death Star, not kill Darth Vader. It wasn't anything like what you said. What movie did you see? seriously. oh well

It is possible Dumbledore may sacrifice himself - or maybe not. He is getting old in years, but he still kicks major ass.

Has everyone forgotten about his evil glint in his eye or whatever at the end of book 4?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 08:16 AM   #8
sun-star
Lady of Letters

It wasn't an evil glint - just a gleam. We still don't know what it meant. I reckon Dumbledore's got to die, because he can't always be there to save Harry. Harry has to win the final battle for himself.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 05:53 PM   #9
Fimbrethil

Re: Re: Re: (spoilers) Dumbledore

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Not really in the least - Obi-Wan Kenobi (can't believe you screwed it up that much) sacrifices himself for completely different reasons. You got that part completely wrong. This allows Luke to escape the Death Star, not kill Darth Vader. It wasn't anything like what you said. What movie did you see? seriously. oh well

Well sorry! Anyway I facts to back me up but I think I'll go to the proper thread about this. I agree with you guys Dumbldore eventually will have to die.

Old 07-11-2003, 09:50 AM   #10
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Does he have to die? I don't want him to die, he was my favorite and it would be kind of a hollow victory wouldn't it, killing off Dumbledore? What I think would be better (just my opinion) would be if near the end of the seventh book Dumbledore had another duel with Voldemort but this time Voldemort had grown so powerful that he lost and Harry had to step in and save Dumbledore for once. Does anyone else think this could happen? Or am I just in denial about Dumbledore dying?

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:19 AM   #11
Sween
im quite stupid

I dont think Dumbledor wants to kill Voldermort he seems to be above that kinda thing he is not gonna take the life of a lesser is he? He is Vastly superior to all in those books not only does he name Voldermort he acctually names him as tom (nowt like taking the pi** out of a dark lord is there)
Old 07-11-2003, 04:59 PM   #12
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i agree with sween. i think he is trying to convert voldemort to become a good person agin and he starts by calling him tom
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 05:29 PM   #13
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

One thing's for sure: after OOTP, I don't think anybody can push a convincing "Dumbledore is evil" argument anymore.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 04:44 PM   #14
Elf Girl
Lurker

Re: Re: Re: (spoilers) Dumbledore

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Has everyone forgotten about his evil glint in his eye or whatever at the end of book 4?
My belief is that the triumphant gleam - that is the wording - was because Dumbledore knows that the downfall of Voldemort will be that Harry's blood runs in his veins.

'Tom': Dumbledore was, I think, gradually stripping Voldemort of the power of his invented name.

Last edited by Elf Girl : 07-14-2003 at 09:38 PM.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 09:26 PM   #15
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

I was all for Dumbledore-is-evil during the majority of the book, especially with the ignoring-Harry thing and something Hermione said ("If we can't trust Dumbledore, we can't trust anyone.").

By the end, though, it seemed like Dumbledore wouldn't have gone through so much trouble if he was evil.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:37 PM   #16
Fimbrethil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
I dont think Dumbledor wants to kill Voldermort he seems to be above that kinda thing he is not gonna take the life of a lesser is he? He is Vastly superior to all in those books not only does he name Voldermort he acctually names him as tom (nowt like taking the pi** out of a dark lord is there)
Yeah but according to Dumbldore you are supposed to respect your lessers and thinks the yshould be treated as an equal. And as an equal I would have to say kill Tom. But like Voldie is ever going to become good. I mean I believe in miracles but puh-lease!

Old 07-21-2003, 06:42 AM   #17
Einalem
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreran the Green
Does he have to die? I don't want him to die,
Hey that is how I felt about Sirius.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreran the green
he was my favorite and it would be kind of a hollow victory wouldn't it, killing off Dumbledore?
And it was kinda sorta a hallow victory, So even the wisest cannot tell all ends (not saying I am Wise or anything just wanted to write it)
Then Thorondor bore up Glorfindel's
body out of the abyss, and they buried
him in a mound of stones beside the
pass; and a green turf came there, and
yellow flowers bloomed upon it amid the
barrenness of stone, until the world
was changed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Allir menn eru sem tunglith,
Their eiga hlith sem enginn sér.~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-the first casualties of war are truth and Music-
Einalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:00 PM   #18
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Well, I think that he will probably die in the last 5 chapters of Book 7. I don't want him to, but...*shrugs* We'll just have to wait and see, won't we?
Old 08-09-2003, 08:41 AM   #19
Einalem
Hobbit

...Or maybe he'll die in the very end in Harry's arm's(or someone's)after killing a really evil bad guy and While he is lying there He tells a very unnexpected secret about Harry or Voldamort or someone else...
Then Thorondor bore up Glorfindel's
body out of the abyss, and they buried
him in a mound of stones beside the
pass; and a green turf came there, and
yellow flowers bloomed upon it amid the
barrenness of stone, until the world
was changed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Allir menn eru sem tunglith,
Their eiga hlith sem enginn sér.~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-the first casualties of war are truth and Music-